Two amps stereo into a single 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mignano, Mar 7, 2008.

1. mignano

mignano Supporting Member

I currently run a stereo rig - Marshall JMP 2204 and a BF style head for cleans, each of them driving a 2x12 cabinet.

For the sake of portability, I was thinking about swapping the 2x12's for a single stereo 4x12 with two inputs and running it that way.

I understand that Joe Bonamassa, EJ, and some other stereo guys do this - but it looks as though JB in particular uses over-sized or custom designed 4x12s for this application.

I guess my question is - what will the tonal compromise be with a stereo 412 as opposed to the 212s? will there be one? will it sound better even? anyone ever try it?

thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I have two amps set up like this all the itme in m y room, cos I'm too lazy to dig around in the back and change leads, Triamp and IIC+
    I use a H&K 412 with Greenbacks, which has a stereo option built in.
    I have no problems wiht the tone. I'd be surprised if I could notice a difference tough I have not secifically A/B-ed it.
    It may actually sound better, if only using 2 speakers is letting the power section work a little more, but in my situation, I doubt that is a factor.
    Slant 412 set up like this will throw the sound at your face a bit too, easier to hear, and less of the trouser flapping but can't hear kind of scenario.

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would rather carry a 2x12" and make two trips than have to get a bandmate to help me lug the 4x12"

I also would love the fact that I could spread the cabs out, or point them in different directions, etc. More modular as well.

How bout this? One mono 2x12" and one stereo 2x12" cab. That way you could still run a stereo setup with just one cab, or if you are playing bigger shows you could use both cabs. That would be sweet. Or if you don't like the spread, you could still just stack them up.

Good luck.

dk

4. mooreamps

mooreamps Senior Member

I would do the two 2x12's, and spead them apart on stage. I just did a video shoot with a stereo 36 watt driving a stereo 2x12. The chorus effects were there, but very sutle to the listening ear. I'm guess a stereo 4x12 would be the same way.

-g

5. mignano

Thanks very much guys, you answered my questions -

Gary- I think you're right. I split the signal to the amps with a stereo delay pedal, the "wet" signal hits the clean head and the "dry" hits the Marshall. Running both amps into a single 412 would probably make for a pretty lame stereo delay sound, which is half the point in this setup to begin with

I'll stick with the 212's
    :dude

6. 6789

6789 Member

I like being able to point each 2x12 in a different direction. easier to carry and fit in my car too.
    [​IMG]

7. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Steve, Johnny would kick your ass if you showed up to a gig with a 4x12. :D Hope things are well, drop me a line sometime!

8. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

I think you made a wise choice....being able to spread out is much better. If you ever run both amps at the same time, it sounds much better through separate cabs IMO. Maybe if the cab is separated on the inside it would sound better, but running two heads into one open cab doesn't do either amp justice to me, I did it once and won't do it again.

9. Bloosman21

Bloosman21 Member

Hey Steve

I am currently running that type of application through a 1960 slant cab and its quite effective for what I am trying to accomplish.
    I agree with some of the posters below that the 2x12s spread out give you a cooler stereo effect...HOWEVER

I think you need to decide what your trying to accomplish..

My application is more geared towards changing the "mood" of my sound on the fly, meaning I am using a Plexi type head(Cat 5 JB Plexi) along with a "meaner and nastier" hi gain head (Cat5 Sunami 1900), all wrapped up in a single cab with the heads operating off of an amp switcher Lehle 1@3.
    Mind you , I have split the cab vertically, internally with plywood and removed the stock, Marshall mono/stereo switch and plug each head into the two jacks I wired up on the back. Sometimes I use one head in a song, then the next, sometimes both!...there other tricks in the bag but you see what I'm saying.
    The argument of the "stereo" sound being more surround is somewhat mute in my case anyways as I baffle(Plexiglas) the cab and then I mic up each side of the 4x12 and hard pan one side RIGHT one side LEFT and get a kickass stereo mood from the audiences standpoint...I also do the wet/dry effect as Bonamassa uses and its a cool, versatile rig. Sure, theres a few extra footswitches but its all to accomplish that versatility and thats where I come from on choosing this setup.

NO DOUBT...2 2x12 cabs being run stereo with chorus or whatever do sound excellent and they could be mic-ed up as well to get the same effect but then, its all up to the guy playin I guess...so, I say do whatever works for ya.

Thats it...Tim

The other posters do have a very valid point beings you have a pretty dam heavy speaker box to lug around but that s the price ya pay for doing business I guess...

Anyway, just wanted to pass this on to ya while your deciding whether to make that change...

10. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I have a stereo 412 cab that I use to get two different sounds. I run my Twin Reverb into a JBL D120F and a Celestion G12H 70th Anniversary, and a Ceriatone Expression into a pair of Celestion Heritage G12m 20 watt speakers. I did it that way to have a smaller footprint. My 4x12 is made of Cherry, and the Express-style amp also has a figured cherry cab, so it looks very classy as well. [I put the Twin Reverb chassis into a JD Newell head cab that looks like a Fender Bandmaster Reverb.] My camera isn't handy, but here is a pic from the seller of 412 cab.
    [​IMG]

I guess this is kind of leaning towards the Eric Johnson thing, in that I get rally good deep cleans as well as driving, aggressive tones by my Radial Tonebone Big Shot ABY switch. Of course you can also run both heads at once.

11. Bloosman21

Bloosman21 Member

Beautiful cab...real nice.

12. mignano

I've considered that, and it would be cool to try. But the 212s are both Zbests, and I don't want to drill or mod them. i would feel a loss running such nice amps through only one speaker too on those nights... not sure i could adjust to that!

hmmm... maybe this is still worth trying. i'll just have to snag a 412, wire it for stereo and compare it to see

13. mignano

HA - its funny you mention that because that was a serious concern to me when i got this idea
    i was thinking of how I would explain myself on that fateful night I stroll in to Manhattan's with a half stack :D

but then again, if its a stereo 412 I could always just run one amp through only two of the speakers when i'm playing with him
    it would still look like hell up there next to his vibroverb though haha