Two Bucker Teles - Ash or Alder?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 62Tele, Feb 15, 2015.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Just curious if anyone has an opinion on woods for a dual bucker Tele? Any favorites?

2. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

I'm thinking of the same project and I'm going for alder. No guarantees though as there is much variance even within wood type.

3. wwit

wwit Member

Alder tends to be lighter weight. Keyword is 'tends'. But Ash looks better IMO with a clear, semi or trans finish. If I were building this and was going with a solid finish, Alder or maybe even Basswood would be my pick.

As for tone, IMHO no difference. Threads like these usually get a tonewood debates started that never ends well. :thud

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Well, yeah, of course. Just tying to see what folks have experienced overall.

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Guess I should have specified Swamp Ash. Alder tends to be a little heavier than most swamp ash (with many exceptions of course) where Northern Ash can be boat anchors. As a gross generalization, I tend to find alder a little smoother and maybe a little more predictable so to speak. Certainly not a better or worse thing by any means.

6. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

Alder will be heavier but more solid sounding. Ash can be open and airy but for humbuckers I would do alder.

7. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Probably not what you're looking for, but if you're doing dual buckers,
    I'd go with a Maple over Mahogany type of body.
    Or all Mahogany.
    One of my favorite wood combos is Walnut over Mahogany and looks great on a Tele.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

9. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

Mahogany for sure, never tried a dual humbucker tele style with alder or ash though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine are both G&L ASAT Deluxes with maple top and saddle lock bridge. Neither sound anything like a tele or a Les Paul.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I currently have a maple neck on a cypress body in the works...most likely chambered.

11. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

12. dazco

dazco Member

+1.

13. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Since yer going dual buckers, a mahogany chambered/non-chambered body with your choice of top alder ash maple...

14. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Funny, I love mahogany acoustics, just haven't bonded with most mahogany teles. I just built a Warmoth Mooncaster with solid (ie one of the first ten they made - laminate now) maple over a chambered mahogany body and low wind Imperials. Sounds good enough for my daughter to confiscate ;). Just wasn't considering this wood combo again in a Tele body.

15. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Dang! Beat me to it!

Depends on the 'buckers, really.

Those old Schecters Pete Townshend played were mahogany. He had a couple built that are poplar which has mahogany similarities but is a bit lighter.
    I built a single p/u La Cab with a TV Jones Power'tron from poplar and it flippin' ROARS.

16. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I built a Korina Tele many years ago - great sounding guitar, but it sure was soft wood when it got down around four pounds. Beautiful though.

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

You guys are way too traditional.

I agree with most of the choices being good ones.

Has anyone figured out the remaining quantities of the Ash/Alder/'Hog/Limba/Maple that are available, are heavy and in limited supply(sustainable) for aged/dried instrument wood?

Most of the older 'tone' woods used in the 50s, are being replaced with other wood use (basswood, blackwood, bubinga, cocobolo, sapele, etc).

I am noticing this more with PacRim instruments, than USA built stuff.

That's why I figured a build of old growth cypress might be worth a try...?

18. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Tad more clarity....ash. Smidge warmer...alder. I prefer ash on HH builds. Also depends on the pickups, neck wood, board wood, planned electronics, bridge material, string type and gauge, amp, amp settings, pedal/no pedal, type of pick....did I miss anything. Ash is lighter, looks better with trans finishes. Alder is easier to finish.

19. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Thanks Chris, pretty much what I was thinking. I have a lightweight swamp ash body I finished with Inca Silver nitro. Maple/rosewood, Klusons, probably a stainless bridge to cover the route.

Conversely, I have a slightly heavier double bound alder body, but I think this one wil get a mini bucker I the neck and keep a Tele bridge pup. I afraid it might get a little too mellow with a bridge bucker.

I haven't been a big bucker user over the years so I thought I'd see what folks have heard with their builds. Greatly appreciate your input.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015