Two cab choices for a 100 watt head... need to make a quick choice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stratoben127, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I am about to take delivery of a custom built Amplified Nation Dumble/Two Rock monster that's basically a really dirty 100 watt Steel String Singer.

I was going to have AN build me a matching unloaded 4x10 oval back cab that I would load my older Celestion G10S-50 speakers into. This would cost me about $500 since I already have the speakers. I love 4x10 Fender combos so that made me want a 4x10.

The issue with this is that it might not be ready for a big run of gigs I'm doing right after the head is delivered if I start it now and I might not be able to wire up the speakers in time to use it (I don't know how to do that stuff at all).

The other option is to grab a Marshall Handwired 4x12 slant cab and replace two of the Greenbacks with Cerwin Vegas. I love these speakers and that's kind of the Duane set up, who is my favorite player. It might give the AN amp a little more meat and grit too.

The 4x12 really isn't much bigger than the 4x10 and if I ever want the 4x10 the 4x12 is an easier resale item. I just am not sure if the closed back will work well for what I want, however I just spent a day with JD Simo playing through his '68 Plexi full stack and it got me back on more of a Marshally kick so maybe the closed back Marshall cab will give me the best of both worlds- Marshally grunt with smooth Dumble drive and reverb.

I am supposed to take delivery of the amp on Friday the 10th and have a gig with Kofi and Oteil Burbridge on either the 10th or the 11th, one on the 12th, the 14th with Butch Trucks, and then I go away to play Wanee festival for the rest of the week, so I need to make this decision now and I can't have something I'm not happy with for a week and a half of HUGE gigs for me.

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Do you want to extend headroom with your speakers or go for easier breakup? Getting a simple 2x12 with EVs will give you a great pairing with the AN head and give you more thump and headroom, but if you want breakup then the Celestions are the way to go, either in a 4x12 or 4x10. Given the short timeframe, it may be good to stick with what you know and are comfortable with, such as the G10S-50s, so that you minimize the variables going into a big set of gigs. The head alone will be enough to learn in time. Speaker wiring is easy as well once you know what you've got.

Great gig line up as well :aok

3. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I definitely want breakup for sure. It's just a matter of closed back 4x12 or open back 4x10.

4. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Personally, I like the sound of open back cabinets with D-style amps better. You have any buddy's that could float you some gear until your rig comes together? Congrats on those gigs, sounds like a blast.

5. swa

swa Member

I would go with the tried and true 4 12, but that is just my gut reaction. Also nice run of gigs, have fun!

But I don"t even own a 12 and my guitar amps all have tens, so basically I am no help.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  6. MHG

MHG Member

I would go open back......but these amps sound amazing played through almost any type of speaker/cab. I definitely prefer 12" speakers overall though. I play my AN amps through an EarCandy closed back 2x12 (E.-Private Jacks), and a Scumback 4x12 (M75's), and they both sound phenominal. But open back cabs are definitely the norm for D-style amps.......especially with EVM's or G1265's. G1265's have been my default speaker thus far. I just ordered a pine 2x12 diagonal cab with a Red White Blues, and a G1265 mix, which I expect will become my primary cab for my AN amps. They also sound really great though Alnico speakers. I've been using my 50 watter in class A mode through a single Blue, and it sounds amazing! Can't wait for the Alnico Cream to be released! I know none of this helps you in your current situation........but something to consider down the road. You're going to love the amp!!!! Congrats.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Why not get the 4 x 10 built but buy something used from Craigslist to hold you over till it's ready, then sell it when the cab you want gets here.

8. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Definitely 12" speakers!!!!!!!!!!