Two Champs or one Princeton?

kldonegan

I'm doing an extremely musically satisfying, extremely low volume gig; most nights the only thing in any monitor is vocals... what would you choose? My first instinct is the 2 Champs... mic them both up and turn one off for extremely low volume gigs. I'm using a british AC15 for now, but I miss having the ability to crank the amp. It's flat sounding; can't get the master volume up enough for the thing to sound right.

Would the two 8" speakers in the Champs keep a decent low end? I don't need huge thump from this rig, just a full signal. I like multiple speakers too, so that'd be a plus. All in all, this seems like a good way to get at a low(ish) volume light breakup and some friggin sustain. I'd also be able to turn one off if I had to be even quieter.

Compare that idea to a single Princeton, if you would. I have less experience with them than the Champs.

Thanks!

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I'd go with the Princeton.

Even in extremely low volume situations, examples of people using Champs live are pretty scarce.

I have both fwiw and would never use the Vibro Champ on any kind of gig, drummerless, acoustic or anything else. The Princeton I would.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
I have two Champs, one tweed one BF, and one '64 Princeton BFWK. I'd go with the Princeton. It's just fuller sounding to my ears.

huskerjohn

The champ is a perfect bedroom, practice or studio amp. In a small room it sounds great at a reasonable volume. In a large room or a small club, it wouldn't cut it. The Princeton is perfect for what you want to do if you love the classic Fendor tone.

timryan257

Silver Supporting Member
I run Champs in small clubs. If just one, I usually run it through a 2x10 cab, if two the 2nd one uses the internal 8". A lovely sound. Crank 'em up. IMO, my silverface Princeton Reverb can't hold a candle to the Champs cranked.

One Champ, one Princeton. Try each at the gig, you'll find you can use either/or, but you'll have the two coolest little amps in the world. Needs change, gigs change, but you'll be set with what you need for any very small venue.
Two Champs w/ 8" speakers aren't that terribly much louder than one with a big efficient speaker. It'll start to break up on "5" either way, so if you need cleans and you don't mic your amp, a Princeton may be necessary.
I've brought both a Champ and a Princeton and used different amps for different tunes. If I HAD to pick just one .. a Champ.

dividedsky

If it's REALLY low volume I'd say a Princeton for sweet low volume cleans but a Champ for reasonable volume breakup.

Shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
I gig with Champs all the time (1 running through a 1x12 and the other through a 2x10). They're great! I used to use a stock Champ but I missed the low end of a bigger speaker configuration. I've wanted a Princeton for a while but, since our drummer plays with brushes, I'm not sure I could get the breakup I want while keeping the volume down. Still, it would be nice to have the option of both. If it's low volume though, I wouldn't worry about a Champ cutting the gig. Mine work great.

MikeNiteRail

I run two Champs all the time. My guitar player uses a Princeton Reverb. The two are louder and fuller than just one. Big difference! The key to me, is the speakers. You have to go ceramic. I would suggest either a Weber Sig S ceramic or 8F125. I have one of each. The AlNiCo aren't as loud, don't have much bass, and compress too early, IMO.

A Princeton is 1x10 and about 12w. Two BF/SF Champs are 2x8 (more surface area than a 12" according to David Hunter's book) and 12ish watts.

If you can run them with some space between them, they'll sound even bigger!

kldonegan

Little update -

I played a bunch of Champs, and bought a single Vibro Champ... I've taken it out to gig a few times with a louder band than the one I bought it for. Up on a chair, and on 10, I can hear it just fine. The sound guys love it, too. I might grab a second one or put this one in a Musicmaster cabinet, but I dig it so far.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
2 champs if you like a raw dynamic snarly nasty attitude ...especially dirty with HB`s
PRinceton if you like a smoother clean w/ a fuller bass and more even and rounder sound .... better behaver ..I`d get dirt from a pedal on this .

I personally love a champ in the studio just before it gets too wild (vol on 6?) ...but that won`t cut it for me on stage ...I vote Princeton

Trending Topics

Top Bottom