Two Channel Amp? AC30/Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by avenerjimmie, Nov 20, 2005.

1. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Alright, I saw an old thread about this, but I figured I'd start a new one instead of resurrecting 10 pages for everyone to weed through.

What are some two channel AC30/Marshall amps available? I missed out an AC30CC, but I'm not sure it was for anyway. I've never been perfectly pleased with a distortion pedal as a replacement for amp distortion.

I am looking for a lot of chime and jangle, but not necessarily a dead ringer for a Vox, and a Marshall with plenty of gain, but it doesn't have to be metal at all (think maybe JCM 800).

The only ones I can think of right now are:

Fargen Epic 30 DC (not sure drive side has enough gain)
    Framus Ruby Riot (drive side probably has too much gain)

I don't know prices on those, and I can't think of any others. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

sounds like the 65 london to me, i've never heard one, but from what i've read on the thread, it's like an ac15 on the first channel and then a 18 watt marshall on the other.

3. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

That thing looks crazy. Haha. So is the Tremolo channel supposed to be Voxy, and the other channel Marshally?

Edit: nevermind. I listened to the clips. The clean channel sounds great, but the gain channel sounds a little...flubby for what I'm looking for. I want something that's a little tighter and w/ more gain. Maybe the sound clips just aren't my style, but I'm looking more towards a JCM 800 gain channel than an 18 watter.

4. themusicboxstudios

i hear ya, you should check into a divided by 13 rsa 23 or 31 ... i played the 23 and its very marshally, but you can get some awsome voxy tones out of it as well, and with all fred's amps you will get some of the tightest bottom end you could imagine.

5. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

What are the price ranges on those? I'm almost afraid to ask.

6. stratitis

stratitis Member

I have just recieved my Framus ruby riot 2. I'm a happy camper! This could be up your alley, since it only offers 1/3 of the gain the ruby riot 1 has. I can't recommend this amp enough!!! Great cleans and vintage to modern gain. If you can try it out...

7. themusicboxstudios

for a head, you're looking at 2500-2800 i beleive.

pricey, but i've never looked back since i picked up my ftr37.

8. tjs

tjs Senior Member

It's not designed with that in mind, but my Kingsley D32 does a good job of copping Vox- and Marshall-like tones. I'm not sure it has enough gain on tap for your tastes, though.

9. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

Never heard one but from what Ive read maybe a Guytron?

10. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Fargen Epic 30 DC. The drive side has plenty of gain, and if it doesn't have enough, Ben can give you more. I cannot say enough good things about the Epic 30 DC.

11. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

Budda Superdrive 18 or 30. Not sure the 45 or 80 still sound Vox like on the clean channel.

12. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

Originally posted by avenerjimmie
    I am looking for a lot of chime and jangle, but not necessarily a dead ringer for a Vox, and a Marshall with plenty of gain, but it doesn't have to be metal at all (think maybe JCM 800).

Quite honestly , I feel i get close to this result with my Hot Cat 30. The clean channel is somewhere between fender and vox , however.

I know they(Bad Cat) now have a new model out that actually has an EL84 channel and an EL34 channel . I believe it's called the Tone Cat. I'm sure that 'll get you close.

13. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Any word on the price of the Epic 30 DC? There seems to be a lack on info on the Fargen site. Does he even make it anymore?

Also, that Tone Cat sounds really interesting. I'm hoping to keep the costs below $1500, but aren't we all? I don't want that factor to limit suggestions. So far, this thread has been great. Thanks, and please keep it up!

14. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

The Epic 30 DC is a custom shop order now, it's been discontinued. Ben is a great guy and he does outstanding work, I can't recommend him enough. I can't wait until mine comes back in from the shop (it'll have the new VOS circuit in there... I know I'm going to love it).

So many boutique amps I've played just didn't do much for me, but Bens stuff just sings. He's one of the few people I know will take care of me. I'll be going to him for an amp before I look elsewhere :).

15. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I think a Guytron GT100, F/V or not, would fill the bill for ya.
    S.
    j

16. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

The SD30 clean side isn't quite Vox, it's more like a Fender/Vox hybrid. It's nice and chimey, but doesn't have that Vox tone. I think the Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R gets closer to Vox with the 5 way tone and brilliance controls.

17. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Matchless DC30. Run an A/B/Y box into both pre-amps. Set the clean side for jangle, and the gain side for lead.

= K

18. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Man oh man do I wish these things were cheaper. Thanks for all of the suggestions. If anyone has anymore, I would definitely love to hear them. If only I could find places to play all of them...