Two Channel amp "AND" dist/OD pedal...Who does it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cubicle, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Cubicle

Cubicle Member

And why....What are your general applications?

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

For my last gig, I used a Rivera two channel K-55 head where the lead channel was set up full bore and the clean channel was set up with a little grit. I also used a Lovepedal Eternity into the clean channel because I felt that it gave me a medium gain tone that was different than using the lead channel and rolling back the guitar's volume.

This was a rock cover band that did a little classic rock as well as modern material.

3. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

i have a boogie lonestar special, and on it's pedal board are a krank distortion maximus and an ocd (v 1). i keep the clean channel pretty clean, and the drive channel to medium gain. the ocd is for adding more gain and volume to either channel. the krank is used on the clean channel to get a heavier distortion sound.

4. Cubicle

Cubicle Member

The reason I ask it that I have a Rivera Clubster 25 Doce that I'm really happy with. Especially the drive channel. However, there are some times where I just want more gain for soloing....Was thinking of putting my Jekyl and Hyde back on the little pedal board I have just to cover some more ground. Didn't know if it was going to be overkill though. Thanks.

5. justonwo

justonwo Member

I do that every once in a while with my OD-100. I'll layer pedals onto the clean channel to get fuzz or other effects that the OD channel won't do. A great pedal into this amp is a thing of beauty.

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

Nah, I don't think it would be overkill. Sometimes those Riveras lead channels need a little more of a kick.

7. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I've been a happy user of channel switching amps since the JCM 800 2210 came out in the '80's. Now I have a Guytron GT-100. All along I've used a selection of overdrives, in the dirty channel to encourage more sustain, and in the clean channel of the Guytron particularly for different textures of grit, since it works wonderfully with them. I also have a Carl Martin Compressor, run as a clean boost, which I happily use with either channel.

8. Sleepo

Sleepo Member

With my HRD I used an OD on the drive channel to make it heavier and tighter, and I do the same on my Hayden, sometimes with the boost on depending how heavy the song is.

But i have a BYOC Large Beaver on the way (i think, guy sending it is being fishy though) that will hopefully cater for the heavy heavy stuff and I won't have to bring my tap shoes for gigs.

9. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I think you have to look at all these options as tone flavors, whether its channels, pedals, or combinations of them. Why not have and use as many as you can happily carry and deal with?

gb

10. jcat

jcat Member

I have a rivera chubster that I use from time to time. I use channel one , high gain input set kind of clean
    and boost it with an old fulldrive. I always thought the rivera ninja boost was to grainy and too much in the midrange.
    I use channel two as clean as I can get it, OD or gain pedals. the footswitch boost on that channel I like a lot

11. Dave L

Dave L Member

With my Rivera TBR1 I almost always use a Visual Sound Route 66 (which more or less is a basic modded TS808) to really get the lead channel kicking. I do the same thing with my Knucklehead K55 from time to time, as well, but there it´s more to get a diffferent flavor of gain.

Sometimes I have a distortion on-board to run through the clean channels, but it´s been a while since I´ve had one... I always used them very little, since I´m so happy with what I get out of the lead channels of the Riveras.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

On an amp like my Hot Rod DeVille, even though for light OD the OD channel is useable, I tend to stay on the clean channel, and use a Zendrive and often another OD (ZD is always there, the other I change between Blues Devil, Cot50, Zim...whatever I feel at the time) but...

generally speaking I am moving away from this and am buying amps that the OD channel and clean are my ideal...I find more than one channel AND OD pedals is too much to keep track of.

Just sat in with a band, took my little Classic 30, a guitar cord, tuner, and guitar. I was actually feeling a little apprehensive, but I KNOW that the Classic 30 sounds great with clean and OD channel.

They went through a bunch of songs, and I was loving my sound, though I wasn't hearing much difference between OD and clean at the volume I was playing...was using guitar vol a lot as this band plays pretty low volume and all.

While packing up I noticed my amp footswitch was never plugged in :jo
    and I was permanently stuck on OD all evening. Sounded fine...only later I was thinking I still THOUGHT I heard cleaner sound, etc, but obviously...it was a mix of my mind and ears playing tricks because I expected to hear clean, and that I adjusted the guitar vol constantly to get fairly clean.

Other than the obvious lesson (check connections), was that I can get by with way less than I used to, and that I am going to try to keep it simple for a while. Nice to just use guitar vol for your sound, not have to think too much which takes me out of the moment.

13. burner

burner Member

Always.
    Depsite having an OD channel, a pedal is nice for that "extra push over the cliff". ;)

14. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Gainstar30 clean channel and a KoT IS MY TONE.. the gain channel is just along for the ride.

I found this with alot of two and three channel amps.. I spend alot of time trying to get the od side to sound like the clean side with the Kot.. YMMV

15. dave s

dave s Member

Bogner Shiva head and Bog open-back 410 cab.

Clean Channel by itself
    Clean Ch boosted by a FDII in comp-cut mode
    Clean Ch with FDII comp-cut PLUS boost
    Gain Ch by itself
    Gain Ch with FDII in comp-cut mode for a lead boost
    Gain Ch with Shiva Pedal set Boost

Lots of flavors possible with a 2-ch amp and ONE pedal.

dave

16. disaster

disaster Member

I do it because I love distortion. All kinds of distortion.

17. freaksho

freaksho Member

yup, that's it.

with Shiva (6L6):

Zvex BoR
    - edge of break-up tones on clean channel
    - also a great clean boost on either channel

TS-9
    - i like it for the sustain, compression and bass loss (!) for leads on gain channel
    - bonus: footswitchable feedback on gain channel