Two Channel amps that do good "in between" sounds

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarlix, Dec 20, 2009.

1. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

I love amps like 65 amps, /13 that do those "in between" sounds so well. Roll the volume knob down a little and you get pristine cleans with chime and clang...turn up the knob and you get some wonderful dirt and grind.

However, this seems to be a characteristic of non-master volume, single channel amps. (in the little experience that I've had trying stuff)

Are there are any -

* Lower powered two channel amps that match the description above
    * When needed can do a sweet, sensitive lead sound (think Two Rock, Fuchs....and if it can do even heavier sounds....Budda SD) either using the amp's gain or with an override pedal.

Anything like this exist? I'd need the two channel facility for maintaining pristine cleans on the clean channel and then basically want the 2nd channel to act like a non-master volume amp where I can dial in dirt with the guitar volume knob.

In short, a two channel amp with a beautiful clean channel and a dirty channel that sounds and feels like a stellar non-master volume amp with great sag, chime, bloom and compression. Has to be lower powered.

2. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Not sure if you would consider it lower power, but you could A/B between the channels on a Matchless C-30 and get all of those things, me thinks.

3. rookie

rookie Member

Koch Studiotone, 20w, but it has three channels

4. Aquinas

Aquinas Supporting Member

I'm hoping the VHT/Freyette Sig:X will do it - I know that the Deliverance is capable, and I've heard that the Sig can do the clean-up thing well as well.

Other than that, it's hard to get a single amp that will do both clean and dirty+cleanup at the same time. The Matchless/Bad Cat (I have a Black Cat) amps can do it, but they have issues, mostly with volume balance. You can't use the first channel for clean and the second for dirty, really - if you want volume balance, you have to run them both as semi-dirty or more.

The D-type amps can do this - I have a lot of experience with a Fuchs ODS-50, and have messed around a bit with Two-Rock and a few others - but I don't like their voicing. Can't quite pin it down, but they all have a certain "something" (at least on recordings) that I just can't get along with. Maybe it's the harmonic complexity thing, but they always seem to me to be TOO THICK, like they had a cold! YMMV, of course.

In my experience, if you really want a pristine clean sound, you need wattage. As in, 50 minimum if you EVER play unmic'd. There inlies the difficulty in having an "in-between" dirty channel. The inbetween sound really relies on pushing the power section, usually - so it will always be significantly louder than the clean, if it is working right...

There ARE great amps with PREAMPS capable of doing that near-power-amp-like sound, but they tend to be rather polarizing.

I guess what I'm saying is, you gotta just try everything that SEEMS like it could work!

5. small axe

small axe Member

i again recommend bogner

6. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Budda sd18 or sd30.