TWO channel TUBE amps, one channel kicks ass whilst the other one blows ?

NJD3VIL77

Same with my Egnater Tweaker 40, between “Clean” and “Hot” modes. The nice thing about the Tweaker is you can keep both channels on clean, with different gain settings. Helps a lot.
I actually loved my Tweaker 40 head. I felt the cleans were fantastic, and the dirty channels were much better than the Rebels. Lots of versatility there for not much cash.

Reactions: NSW

Pongo

I'm actually an apologist for the Lone Star's drive channel and really like it for what it is (even without the mods or pedals), but a lot of users find the drive channel muddy, overly bassy/flubby, and borderline unusable, while they hang on to the amp because they love the clean channel so much.

GreatGreen

Couldn’t disagree more. I’ve played all of those many many times. Just my opinion. Enjoy whatever sounds you like.

You're seriously saying, on a guitar forum, that of all these amps:

2-chanel (Rev F and/or G) Dual Rec
Peavey 5150
Marshall Plexi
Vox AC30 (or Matchless C-30, which is also a 2 channel amp)
Fender Super Reverb
Fender Twin

...that none of them are masters of anything? I'd be shocked if any other guitar player in the world shared that opinion. Lol.

Last edited:

GreatGreen

I'm actually an apologist for the Lone Star's drive channel and really like it for what it is (even without the mods or pedals), but a lot of users find the drive channel muddy, overly bassy/flubby, and borderline unusable, while they hang on to the amp because they love the clean channel so much.

I'm still convinced that the people who don't like the Lonestar's Drive channel simply don't understand it. It is an incredible channel. All that stuff about it being bassy/flubby just comes from people that don't understand that the tonestack sits before the gain, just like a Mark series drive channel. If you understand this and simply turn the Bass and Mids down and the Treble up, you can unlock an incredible sounding Fender/Plexi/Dumble-esque drive channel.

Last edited:

Tommy_G

What sounds good at home (scooped) is different than what sounds good in a bandmix (unscooped).

Probably why v30s are love/hate.

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
You're seriously saying, on a guitar forum, that of all these amps:

2-chanel (Rev F and/or G) Dual Rec
Peavey 5150
Marshall Plexi
Vox AC30 (or Matchless C-30, which is also a 2 channel amp)
Fender Super Reverb
Fender Twin

...that none of them are masters of anything? I'd be shocked if any other guitar player in the world shared that opinion. Lol.
They are ‘Masters’ of ONE sound.
A roaring Marshall or Vox does NOT get the clean sounds of Fender Twins, Matchless Clubmans, etc.

NSW

Silver Supporting Member
I actually loved my Tweaker 40 head. I felt the cleans were fantastic, and the dirty channels were much better than the Rebels. Lots of versatility there for not much cash.
Agreed, that’s what I was trying to say. I run both channels on the “Clean” setting, just different levels of gain. The combo sounds great. But definitely better into an extension cab.

GreatGreen

They are ‘Masters’ of ONE sound.
A roaring Marshall or Vox does NOT get the clean sounds of Fender Twins, Matchless Clubmans, etc.

You said two channel amps are masters of none though. I disagree with that.

For me, I don't care if an amp has 1 channel or 6. If it has 1 absolutely sublime, masterpiece channel that does its one thing incredibly well, better than anything else at what it's trying to do, it doesn't matter if every other channel blows. If more than that 1 great channel happens to be great, even better, but they don't have to be.

I'm also saying there are *plenty* of amps like this, with at least one channel that is phenomenal and at least one channel that is crap, but that doesn't make the phenomenal channel any less amazing.

On the practical side, I think it's sad, but ultimately don't mind that a lot of guitar players have decided they're going to find the impossible "one amp that does everything perfectly" because it just doesn't exist, but it does lead them to sell amps that "only do one or two things perfectly while the least relevant channel isn't perfect" at a loss to guys like me who appreciate them for what they are while they go back to chasing their tails.

Last edited:

GreatGreen

This is a much more common issue on 3-4 channel amps where at least one of them is mediocre at best. At this point I feel multiple identical channels is a better design than multiple different ones.

Totally agree.

In any given live situation, I'd much rather have several instances of a single channel I can tweak for various gain levels and maybe slight adjustments in EQ if changing the gain thins or thickens the sound too much, than having a handful of totally different sounds available.

Most players use overdrive or boost pedals to try and replicate that exact kind of setup anyway. Also, if all your sounds have a similar sonic signature and only really differ in gain, it's going to be a lot easier for you to keep your place in the mix.

Pongo

I'm still convinced that the people who don't like the Lonestar's Drive channel simply don't understand it. It is an incredible channel. All that stuff about it being bassy/flubby just comes from people that don't understand that the tonestack sits before the gain, just like a Mark series drive channel. If you understand this and simply turn the Bass and Mids down and the Treble up, you can unlock an incredible sounding Fender/Plexi/Dumble-esque drive channel.
For the most part, yeah. I've picked up two Lone Star Classics for cheap from people who clearly didn't understand that the treble also acts as a gain boost, and that it's not only fine to run bass at 9 o'clock with the drive engaged, but oftentimes preferable. I mean, that worked out great for me, but kind of unfortunate for the guitarists who "couldn't bond" with the drive channel.

That said, while I'm an apologist and proselytizer for this amp, I do feel like dialing it in is unintuitive, that the level of bass and gain on Channel 2 is more than any sane human would ever want to use, and that the even, "just the facts" response of the Black Shadows (which are perfect for Channel 1's cleans) don't do the drive channel any favors. I mean, I still love it, but I don't think all critiques are out of line.

GreatGreen

For the most part, yeah. I've picked up two Lone Star Classics for cheap from people who clearly didn't understand that the treble also acts as a gain boost, and that it's not only fine to run bass at 9 o'clock with the drive engaged, but oftentimes preferable. I mean, that worked out great for me, but kind of unfortunate for the guitarists who "couldn't bond" with the drive channel.

That said, while I'm an apologist and proselytizer for this amp, I do feel like dialing it in is unintuitive, that the level of bass and gain on Channel 2 is more than any sane human would ever want to use, and that the even, "just the facts" response of the Black Shadows (which are perfect for Channel 1's cleans) don't do the drive channel any favors. I mean, I still love it, but I don't think all critiques are out of line.

I agree on all points. The amp is brilliant, but it does take some studying. If you've never played it before and didn't know how the dials worked, you might be shocked to learn what they actually do and how they behave. On both channels, the Bass knob's max value could literally be halved and it would still be more than enough. I love cranking low end and neither the channel 1 or channel 2 Bass knobs on mine ever get set above 11:00.

I also think the great downfall of the Drive channel, really, was that a graphic EQ wasn't built into the amp. The Drive channel still sounds good without it, but when I engage an EQ in the loop with mine, it changes the game, similarly to how a Mark series amp behaves with and without the EQ.

I'm also not a fan of Black Shadow speakers for pretty much anything. I use V30's and Greenbacks with my Lonestar and it's tough to beat that combo.

ItsTonyB

Mesa mkiic+

You can either have awesome lead or awesome clean. But to do so you have to sacrifice one for the other.

Or you can have both channels be mediocre.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom