• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Two classic pre's into a master 50w power section..what pre's would you choose?

Terry McInturff

45th Anniversary of guitar building!
Platinum Supporting Member
I have an empty HiWatt 100 steel chassis sitting around thats begging to be used. A whole lot of room in there compared to a Marshall !!

Looks like enough room for dual turret boards/dual preamp sections. I'd be feeding them in to the same 50w EL34 trad Marshall power section, footswitching between the two.

Right now Im thinking about JTM50 ("black flag") preamp and 2203 (ala '77 MV Lead head). Lar-Mar MV's for both, with that hip FX loop that Metro sold. I was thinking Hiwatt but no...this is a switchable dirt amp. It will be loud, but that is fine for the venues I play.

But hey...how about you? What two classic amplifier preamps would you like to have in one box?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Oooh, I know this one!

I'd have an AC30 normal channel, pushed just a bit, and a JMP MkII.

rockon1

I have an empty HiWatt 100 steel chassis sitting around thats begging to be used. A whole lot of room in there compared to a Marshall !!

Looks like enough room for dual turret boards/dual preamp sections. I'd be feeding them in to the same 50w EL34 trad Marshall power section, footswitching between the two.

Right now Im thinking about JTM50 ("black flag") preamp and 2203 (ala '77 MV Lead head). Lar-Mar MV's for both, with that hip FX loop that Metro sold. I was thinking Hiwatt but no...this is a switchable dirt amp. It will be loud, but that is fine for the venues I play.

But hey...how about you? What two classic amplifier preamps would you like to have in one box?
I like that idea. One of my favorite purchases recently was my Jet City 22H with two dirty channels and FX loop. Hits all my check points. Bob

Monotremata

Hmmm.. Is it a four hole head?? If you can swing it so the 2203 channel works like a regular JCM, with the Hi/Lo inputs, you probably wouldnt need the JTM (or a JMP style) channel..
With the Lo input, and the preamp on 10, that things pretty much a Superlead non-mv style.. Plug into the Hi and the preamp goes through an extra tube which is the JCM sound..

My vote would go for one channel=Marshall JCM, other channel=Vox AC style..
But I honestly have never heard an AC with EL34s in it so I have no clue how different the AC50 and 100 is from the 'good old' 15 and 30..

Or hell you can still do a Hiwatt channel.. Wire it like Pete Townshends CP-103. From what I understand, instead of having 4 seperate inputs and the two Bright/Normal channels, his preamp tubes were instead all cascaded together, and each preamp stage got its own volume knob. If you look at his old heads, he removed the Mid and Presence pots from the front panel, so its only got Bass and Treble, and they were replaced with two more volume pots.. The first four knobs on the front of his amps were Volume 1-4, followed by the Bass/Treble pots.

Terry McInturff

45th Anniversary of guitar building!
Hmmm.. Is it a four hole head?? If you can swing it so the 2203 channel works like a regular JCM, with the Hi/Lo inputs, you probably wouldnt need the JTM (or a JMP style) channel..
With the Lo input, and the preamp on 10, that things pretty much a Superlead non-mv style.. Plug into the Hi and the preamp goes through an extra tube which is the JCM sound..

My vote would go for one channel=Marshall JCM, other channel=Vox AC style..
But I honestly have never heard an AC with EL34s in it so I have no clue how different the AC50 and 100 is from the 'good old' 15 and 30..

Or hell you can still do a Hiwatt channel.. Wire it like Pete Townshends CP-103. From what I understand, instead of having 4 seperate inputs and the two Bright/Normal channels, his preamp tubes were instead all cascaded together, and each preamp stage got its own volume knob. If you look at his old heads, he removed the Mid and Presence pots from the front panel, so its only got Bass and Treble, and they were replaced with two more volume pots.. The first four knobs on the front of his amps were Volume 1-4, followed by the Bass/Treble pots.
I love this response! I am very grateful.

As a player..and the amp as a tool...it is best for me to have separate BMTP Eq for each channel. In addition, while using the lo input works for many, it does not for me. My plan calls for dual Marshall preamps of two related types for the reason that they ARE related tonally...the amp would sound like a cohesive whole. For this project, I'm not looking for two distinctly diff voices, such as the case HiWatt/Marshall (which was my original plan).

And so I can use the high level input on each channel; I can use diff eq on each channel;etc. And because each channel will obviously work with a trad Marshall power section, there wont be compromises, such as would happen with a HiWatt or Vox front end.

But these are just MY thoughts.......:)

BTW I like the fact that you are obviously a PT fan like me, and have knowledge of those "Who Amps" (I saw one for sale in Chicago as a dumb 13 year old, who had no use for anything "non-Steppenwolf" LOL!!! They must have dumped one in that store in trade). But Dad-Gummit...that tone doesnt work for me (if, in person they sounded like Live At Leeds, they would! But they didnt, really...)

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom