Two delays ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dmbandtimmy, Nov 15, 2005.

1. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I was just wondering who uses two delays and how you use them. When I saw the Chris Tomlin band I really liked the guitar sound that his guitarist was getting and this is his pedal board http://www.dandeecases.com/tomlin1.html . I noticed that he uses a couple of delays and wondered how people use them together. Thanks!

2. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I cut and pasted this from another forum, so it may read a little odd. Long winded I know, but it might give you some ideas...

I just redid my pedal board to control two amps. Basically an AB box, and different pedals on each branch of the AB path.

The two amps are a new 1974x Marshall 18 watt combo for dirty (w/20 watt Celestion), and a '64 non-reverb Deluxe (w/reissue 50 watt C12N) for clean.

I came up with an interesting way to run my delay pedal on my Marshall 18 watt. I run the 2nd speaker jack of the Marshall into a passive attenuator I made to bring the speaker level way back down to guitar pedal level. I then run that signal into my delay pedal, and then "reamp" it with the 2nd channel of the Deluxe. I modded the delay pedal so that it is wet only. I also added a high end rolloff circuit into the attenuator circuit to make the echos sound warm. The short story is my Marshall is cranked straight into it's speaker, but the echos occur post amplifier and effectively come out of the 2nd amp, on it's second channel. So in a way my 18 watter/Deluxe setup is an A/B & a WET/DRY rig at the same time. The delays sound really clear this way, and don't get washed out with the natural amp distortion.

Believe it or not, after trying some passive straight wire AB boxes, and some expensive boxes I went with a Boss LS-2 line selector. I don't run it as a loop, just A & B outputs. I have to lift the ground on one of the amps with a 3 to 2 prong adapter.

I talked to a local session player in town that uses the same box and who has tried everything also. The LS-2 adds a tiny bit of noise, but less than the average boss pedal. I like the fact that the switching is totally click and glitch free, even with the Marshall on 10 with no attenuator.

I actually run two Boss DD-5 delays, one on the clean branch and one on the dirty. The one on the dirty is modded for wet only, since it is amplified separately on it's own amp channel and doesn't need to pass the straight signal. That keeps the dirty delays effectively in stereo. Also I control the delay time on both the delays with a single "tap" button, Y corded to both delays. I was suprised that works, but it does. You can also set the tempo with DD5s even when they are clicked off.

Basically I am running two delays, but not in series. One works on the clean amp, blending as usual. However the other delay on the dirty amp gets routed back and "reamped" by the 2nd channel of the clean amp to keep the delays from being washed out.

3. MTLove

MTLove Member

I use a DD6 and a DL4, and it seems to work ok

4. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Geetarpicker,
    Very cool! :) I bet you get amazing tone from that combo! I would love to get ahold of an old 64 deluxe! :dude

I guess I was also wondering how one uses 2 delays in tandum. I mean, in what type of application is the utilization of 2 delays useful.

Marty Love.
    Thats exactly the combination I was thinking. How do you incorporate 2 delays into your sound?

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I was playing with two delays with modulation tonite (review elsewhere): the Yamaha 1005 and the Ibanez AD202-the Yamaha does a stepped delay thing with modulation and the Ibanez kind of warbles. Put them both together and it's pretty cool and chaotic, although not likely to be useful for more than a flavor thing...

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

I used to have two delays, the Maxon AD900 and a Korg 301dl. I ran them together for a few months trying to find something really cool. I never did, so off went the Korg and the AD900 stayed. I think you have to treat two delays as an instrument in and of itself. I would use them to get a slap back and then a longer echo. Good luck, not for everybody. Although I can see a use for one analog and one digital...just not two at the same time.

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I use an Echoczar (soon with Angel Baby) and an Analogman Modded DD-6 together at the same time... I often set the Echoczar for a 400ms (or 300ms) delay and the DD-6 for roughly a 350ms (or 250ms) delay to get a strange chasing slapback sort of tone... use it for palm muted stuff (with compressor) to add atmosphere and flavor, almost a reverb slapback loop sort of thing... hard to explain, but try it if you get a chance, sounds surreal with classically influenced playing.

I also run both of them with a similarily short delay time (80ms) and run the repeats high for controlled oscillation-esque repeats which I then feed through a phaser AND then a dirt box... insane rhythmic lead tone...

There are a few other settings I've come up with and find sometimes analog into digital is more appropriate (oscillation style repeats) and sometimes digital into analog is better as it warms up the signal from the DD-6 (chasing slapback delay).

-TJK

8. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I've fooled around with a Replica into an old oil-can delay (think lo-fi, bizarre sounding), with the Replica set for big atmospheric things and the oil-can set for shorter and sharper. Lots of fun, and I'd love to use it live, but haven't really had an excuse to yet.

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

I use 2 Chandler's in the Loop of my Rivera M-60.. I have one set for a slapback and the other around 440 ish. I only use one at a time. I toggle between the 2 or can bypass both via the FX loop switch.

10. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Ditto
    I use one for slap and one for long repeats at around 450 500

11. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Same here.

I use a DM-2 for shorter delay times to add a little "thickness" and a Keeley Modded DD-3 for longer delay times (440ms). I use a Loooper to switch between them or to bypass them both.

12. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Before selling it all, I used mutliple delays in my rack. Each delay received a midi-tempo from one source, usually my Echoplex Digital Pro. I would determine the tempo of the EDP based on the loop length, and all the other delays would snap-to. Then I would have the other delays set at subdivisions: triplets, for example. When everything was clicking, it sounded great. I would also use my Mac to drive the tempo, send it to the EDP, and branch to the other delays from there. The advantage here was that my sequences would determine the time and my stereo guitar rig would match that tempo. So a drum loop at 110 BPM would trigger the EDP, which quantizes... (step on record early, and it will wait for the beat to begin recording the loop; step on it early to end the recroding, and it will wait for the end of the cycle). Then the two other delays would be in time.

But I sold all of that.
    :dude

Now I just use the EDP into a mono amp, and a second analog delay for another amp. I plan to get another delay for the EDP amp. They won't quantize, though. Been there, done that I guess. Actually, I need to save for a better digital processor, such as an Eventide or Yamaha SPX 2000 and then return to the quantized delay routine, but with a MUCH better tone now. Tone trumped tricks!

13. covert

covert Member

Ibanez AD-9 for slap and Roland DD-20 for all sorts of craziness.

14. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Jimmy Thackery for one. I talked to him at a gig once and he uses one for a short delay and one long and sometimes engages them both.

15. MTLove

MTLove Member

Marty Love.
    Thats exactly the combination I was thinking. How do you incorporate 2 delays into your sound

I am not too sophisticated on all this. A lot of guys know a ton more than me. But to get a layered sound I set my dd6 on triplets and set the tap tempo, and turn the effect knob up a bit so it's the most prominent. And then I set the dl4 on one of the models I like, like a couple of the U2 sounds, and have it play 16ths. I then I pick in either quarters or eigths or triplets.Not real trick but it gets a good layering.

I kinda use the dd6 as the foundation, and then play around with the different dl4 options. The factory settings on the dl4 are pretty mellow and not real prominent, so sometimes I have to turn the effect up a bit.

It's simple but with a Bad Cat cub IIr and a LP classic, and a fulltone fulldrive, the combo seems to work.

16. oxtone

oxtone Member

I use two delays, a Boss DD-20, and a L6 Echo Park. I select between the two, depending on the vibe I'm looking for. I tend to do an "Edge" thing alot. Each pedal has it's own merits.

17. MTLove

MTLove Member

oxtone, sounds like you and I both aim for that Edge thing. What do you think of your pedals vs the dd6 and dl4. You kinda have the step up from mine.

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

Marty,

I used to use all the Boss Digital Delays - the DD-3, and DD-5. I tried the DD6 at GC, and I didn't like the fact that you have to hold it down for 2 seconds to engage the Tap Tempo function.

So, with the Boss DD-20 Giga Delay, I just plug a Roland FS5U Momentary Switch into the "CNTL PEDAL" jack, and I can Tap the delay tempo anytime. No having to hold down the 2nd pedal. It works great. Plus, it has four Patches you can select from. Very cool, and easy to set up. I especially like the "Modulation" patch for rotary sounds. It sounds HUGE in my stereo Boogie rig.

I've not used the L6 DL4, but I know and see alot of guys using them. However, the small, but heavy Echo Park has worked great, no worries. I just had to tighten the jack nuts when they came loose after alot of gigs. Otherwise, it sounds very good, and the Tap Tempo function is easy to use once you get the feel of the pedal.

I saw the Chris Tomlin/Matt Redman concert this Oct. 22nd. Wow, that was the best time of Worship I have been to in years! Louie Giglio's message was awesome! That night my Dad died during the concert (at a Rehab Facility), but he's in a much better place now.

19. indytone

indytone Member

Yup.

I use my Danecho for the slapback and my Deluxe Memory Man for the "blanket of sound".

20. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Hey guys, thanks for all of the replies! It seems as though the consensus is that most people who have multiple delays set their each delay to a different setting and use only one at a time or use them at the same time for edge type sounds. That helps me out a lot! :dude