1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Two demo songs from my new band - critiques welcome!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Jason Calieri, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Here are two demo songs from my new band. We just recorded these on the cheap at our practice space. Crappy mics and crappy mixer into a Mac laptop running Cubase. My actual guitar rig is VHT, but these guitars are just a POD (cringe!). They're just demos, though, and we wanted to keep it simple.

Critiques of the songs and mixes are encouraged and appreciated!

Uptempo rockin' song:
    http://www.spectatorband.com/audio/Spectator-Hear_This_Life_Demo.mp3

Slower moodier song:
    http://www.spectatorband.com/audio/Spectator-Beacon_Demo.mp3

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Very raw. Lots of energy, but repetitive. I'd recommend varying the volume and attack to make it more interesting. With music, you're both telling a story and acting in a play. Mix whispering with yelling and people will pay attention.

3. Ascension

Ascension Member

I like the stuff Jason. In particular Hear The Life was a nice tune. Only thing man is like most of the Modern Rock stuff I hear out there they have no solos. I was a hair band guy back in the 80's-90's so I wanna hear some SHREADDING. I think it would sound great to hear some solos in this style of stuff. Oh well maybe someday I will put something together myself. Bottom line it is dead on what I see being marketable today man:AOK.

4. Jason Calieri

Thanks for listening, guys! I hear ya about the solos. I'm a huge metalhead. I can't shred to save my life, though, ha. Wish I could!

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Not my style of music but here goes.
    Overall sounded good. I think first song maybe the guitar was too up front/loud
    It would be nice to have some solo in the songs.
    It has a bit of a monotonous feel to it.

6. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

Pretty good songs. I like the 1st one a lot. Production-wise, it's amazing what today's "crappy gear" can do. Sounds just fine to me.

Regarding solos, with all due respect to Ascension, it doesn't necessarily have to be a speed metal type of break. Short melodic statements work fine, also. Think, uh...off the top of my head..the solo in Nick Lowe's "Cruel To Be Kind". I know, different style of tune from another era, but just to give an idea of the kind of thing I'm talking about.

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    I have not and do not 'get' shread. To use my story analogy, it seems like telling a story using every word in the dictionary, but JMHFO.

And yes, by all means, a solo or two would be a great way to break up the monotony.

8. Ascension

Ascension Member

Ya missed my point man on the solos:jo ! I love fast legato stuff but only if it fits the piece and has heart and dynamics. David Gilmore is one of my all time favorite players and while he really can't shread oh what feel and taste he plays with. The art of composing a nice melodic solo is seemingly lost in todays music.

9. Ascension

Ascension Member

You write some cool stuff man and playing rythm guitar is an art in itself :AOK :dude . I wish we were closer as I like your stuff write some similar stuff and I can shread a bit:RoCkIn :rolleyes: .

10. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

Hi, Ascension. I didn't mean to get ya mad at me. You're absolutely right, though, there are tons of solos on record containing fast legato passages that are melodic and fit the particular song they're in(Nuno Bettencourt, anyone?).

I guess what I meant to say was that one shouldn't let whatever technical limitations they have on guitar stop them from playing solos.

11. captainT

captainT Member

12. Jason Calieri

I just mentioned the gear limitations because I was also asking for comments on the mix, too.

13. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I like these songs. I think the production sounds pretty darn good compared with what I've just done. How do you get such a loud mix without clipping?

14. anyone

anyone Member

Hey Jason,

I love the songs and the riffs! Found myself playing them more than once... My wife even liked it (that's the true test!).
    I'm ignorant of mixing, so... while it could sound more dynamic and impacting, I'm not sure how or why...
    The singer seems to like Thom Yorke quite a bit... I think you know where I'm headed with that... As soon as he finds his unique variation on the Yorke foundation, he'll be amazing! (Unless I'm a total idiot and he IS Thom Yorke!) As it is, I really enjoyed listening to him.
    For song structure and dynamics, the first song could use a breakdown. It doesn't have to be shreddy to wail. Consider "Fake Plastic Trees" as a reference point. Edit: Oops! I meant to say "Nice Dream" but had the other song in my head... :jo

Sorry if I've just stated the obvious... I listened to the songs last night am working from memory. I really dig your new band!

Chris

15. adamquek

adamquek Member

I didn't care much for the vocals, just not the sort of thing I dig. I use a Pod myself and quite like it, I reckon with some patience you can get some nice tones out of it :) For a home production though, that's pretty sweet. Didn't sound crappy to me at all! A little bit of solo work would really have been nice though

16. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Well , I like it more than the other guys reviews.. GREAT STUFF!! I'm a big fan. I loved the singing too .. Cross between the guy from MUSE (who is obviously influenced by Tom York) and FILTER's vocalist. You write great guitar riffs too.... AS for the production , sounded like my Adat studio type stuff... It could sound way better and COST LOTS MORE!! :)

ERIC

17. Mike Schram

Mike Schram Member

Love it!

With the right production this stuff could be killer. I also liked your old band OMA? i absolutely love driving riffs with hooky vocals. We probably listen to alot of the same stuff, have you heard the new " Army of Anyone single"? Can't wait for that one....

Keep it up man.

18. Miles

Miles Member

I agree with this, I'm not a fan of droney and somewhat whiney Alice in Chains esque vocals, but that is ONLY my taste. At the same time, good for you for getting people together and writing and recording. Instrumentally, it's a very tight recording and sounds fine, has a lot of drive and it's pretty good.

Congrats.

19. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I think it was all cool! by the way....everybody seems to spell SHRED wrong...there is no "A" in shred......hehe....I just hadda do it.. ;)

20. Jason Calieri

Thanks again, everybody! Always helpful to get feedback, positive or negative.

Yeah, he definitely has a bit of Radiohead or Muse in his voice. Hopefully not too much, though. I can't recall "Nice Dream" off hand, but I'll check it out tonight!