Two Different Speaker Type Micing?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by nsriley, Mar 7, 2005.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have a Marshall TSL122 combo (modded by Voodoo Amps) with two different speakers in it, a Celestion Heritage and Celestion Vintage 30. The amp comes stock that way.
    I have one SM57 I usually mic with on other amps. But I am thinking to get the best recorded sound outta the TSL122, I should get another SM57 and mic the amp with two mics, one Left one Right and Mix the two to get a nice full sound.

Make sense? Thoughts?

-Peace
    -Nate

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

No way to know what it will sound like unless you try. So it's up to you, if you think it's worth spending $85 on the experiment. But it's my guess (and it's only a guess) that when you sort out the phase differences you won't have enough of a difference that your stereo spread will sound as full as you imagine, because they're both in the same cabinet. Probably better to pick the one you like best and record in mono, then re-process it or re-amp it in a different amp/speaker combo for stereo. Or use two different types of mics at different distances. But again, that's just my guess, and it might be worth the time and effort to see for yourself.

You could try miking in a XY stereo pattern to avoid phase problems, but then neither mic will be on-axis.

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks for teh thoughts. You make some good points. I am now thinking of just using my SM57 on one of the speakers and doing an ambient micing thing where I place a condensor mic back away from the amps. I 'll have to experiment this week if I get the time.

Thanks,
    -Nate

4. glynn

glynn Member

I think seperate takes sound better for the L/R guitar stuff, the performance variations give a way thicker sound.

Plus, you only need one mic.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yes indeed.

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

Bingo. Sounds great with guitar solos. The timing differences between/among takes create some interesting sounds/tones. Thicker tone is only one advantage, some interesting phasing, warble, etc. can also develop. Gotta try it and see for yourself, experiment.

7. EVT

EVT Member