Two guitars...complementary tuning suggetions

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Barnzy, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Just wondering what some good suggestions are for tuning two different guitars in a way that gives each a different voice...beyond just pedals or gear choice. I have been trying some slide guitar chords along with a standard player and enjoyed it. I am interested in things like Nashville tuning and anything like that. I either play with a friend, or play looped lines through separate amps for my own entertainment. I am happy to make a custom string set and setup to play around like this...any creative tuning suggestions for complementing a standard 6 string guitar? Goal is to add to a standard tuned guitar sound...not to experiment with altered tunings on their own.
    Thanks,
    Barnzy

2. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I'm not sure what you're seeking. You can tune two guitars to unique tunings that could complement each other with just the open strings. Check out wind chime tunings for complementary tunings.

But the idea in my mind is to fret the strings. It's a whole lot better working with complementary chords, much bigger world.

3. kimock

kimock Member

Kinda hard to argue with the Rolling Stones model, one guitar in 5 string G tuning with a capo and one standard.
    The capo option is neat because it limits the register of one guitar, if you can stay out of the way of the higher guitar, you automatically get some separation of "voice".

Lots of good possibilities with just one capo and two guitars in standard tuning.

Nashville tuning is fun, it's a great sound when two guitars gang up on the same part, and it's easy because there's nothing "altered" about the chord shapes.

Anything else, in spite of your wish to not experiment with altered tunings on their own, is still going to require learning the tuning at least enough to find a part.
    At which point you might discover the part would be easier if you retuned one string and you'll be experimenting with altered tunings. .

Unison tunings are nice, economy of materials, simple.
    Just decide you want two or three of any particular string and have at it.
    Nothing to really relearn there.

Back to Keith Richards taking the low string off. .
    The guitarist from the B52's took off the two middle strings, no D or G.

Tuned to whatever sounded good, and took advantage of those limits and economy of materials.

Anyway, that'd be a couple of ideas to mix and match to complement a standard tuning guitar; capo, remove string(s), unison tunings, and the Nashville "same pitch, different octave" tuning idea.

Should be able to get that kind of stuff up to speed pretty quickly, none of it requires relearning the fingerboard, just having fun with whatever's left.

I'm sure there's lots of other options, those are just the few I've used personally.

4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Capos and baritone guitars.

5. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Standard tuning mixed with various combinations of Nashville tuning, Open tuning and a Capo will give you plenty of great colors, overtones etc. Check out tunings like DADGAD, Drop D and Double Drop D.

6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Mandolins, dobros, banjos, zithers.

7. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

These are all great suggestions guys, so thanks! I will try that Stones tuning first. That looks like alot of fun and is exactly what I was looking to try for me.

8. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

Wow! What a great idea! I want to try that! Thanks, Kimock!

9. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

I hope I'm remembering this bit of trivia correctly... I remember reading or hearing years ago that in the Def Leppard song... Bringin' on the Heartbreak/Heartache?... that I think the double'd lead/intro line was done where each player tuned a few strings slightly sharp, and the other slightly flat.