Two guitars I rarely see for sale in the Emporium

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
is a Creston and a Thorn.

Do they just not build as many? I've heard they're wonderful guitars. Any Creston owners? Thoughts? Same with Thorn?

BBOP

Thorns sell on the forum often the same day posted, a few other brands are seldom seen in the aftermarket.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
Thorns can occasionally be found for sale on the Thorn forum. The folks there like to offer them first to their compatriots and I don't blame them at all, if I, for some unfathomable reason, had to sell a Thorn of my own, I'd feel much better knowing it would be going to a fellow afficionado certain to appreciate it. :)

Can't comment on Creston (never heard of them).

gtrckl

Gold Supporting Member
I've seen a Creston on the tele forum (TDPRI) before. I think it was a P-90 and single coil build made out of poplar.

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
I'd LOVE to see a Creston show up now and then...only because I have been coveting from afar for quite a while. I doubt we'll see many of these make the second hand market, though...just too fine.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Crestons and Thorns are pretty rare in general AFAIK. Aren't there fewer than 200 or so Thorns out there, all custom made for individual players?

jamess

Gold Supporting Member
I have one Thorn, and a second arriving soon. The connection built with these guitars from opening discussions with Ron and to conception to delivery is powerful. Team Thorn gives each Artisan guitar one on one attention to make sure everything is impeccable. I'll never sell my Thorns.

Perhaps Creston owners feel the same way.

I love my Thorn. Don't expect to see her in the emporium anytime soon. Actually, I am trying to finance another one :)

RayRay

I love my Thorn. Don't expect to see her in the emporium anytime soon.
EXACTLY ;)

I haven't found a better quality guitar or a better builder to work with. Yes, the occasional Thorn does pop up, but it's rare that it stays for sale for long. And I agree with the previous poster.... they'll usually be offered on the Thorn forum.

In fact, there was one instance where a member wanted to sell a Thorn guitar (and a damn nice one at that), and basically we all convinced him to hang on to it because he'd regret selling it. That's community right there.

I must admit that I'm not a fan boy of anything, but I could easily be a Thorn fan boy. Own one and have two on order. And mine won't be in any emporium.

Rock and roll!!!!

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
I'm glad you posted the link, Donnie. As I said earlier, Thorns do occasionally go up for sale but the Thorn crowd prefers to buy and sell "in house," so to speak.

There is no brand or type of guitar that never goes up for sale no matter how perfect they are because people sometimes need funds more than guitars.

DWB1960

There is no brand or type of guitar that never goes up for sale no matter how perfect they are because people sometimes need funds more than guitars.
Or folks simply find out that they can't bond long term with a particular builder's stuff. We all have our own personal quirks when it comes to fiddles - so there's no way any single builder will ever work for everyone.

jimmybcool

I have a few Thorns. Most are going no where. I admit, I am considering selling my Jr 90 as I can not dig the Tele body style. The tone is amazing and fit and finish perfect, just the body shape doesn't work for me. I have a Fender Tele too that might have to go. if I do list the Jr 90 it will be on Thorn forum first to give fellow Thorns brothers first shot.

My other Thorns are not going anywhere. I admit to being shocked at the new SoCals. I didn't think they would have the same mojo as the Artisans. But my recent Magma is a happening guitar. I can't put it down. They fit ME.

As for Creston, I don't think I ever heard that name.

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Platinum Supporting Member
Thorn #29 ain't going anywhere! Besides the fact that it rocks me on all counts, it was a 20th anniversary gift from my wife.

:rockin:rockin

Mark

travisvwright

For some things this just isn't the place to sell them. You don't see d***le amps or Buscarino Guitars. In addition there is evidence that the value you place on something is related to the price paid. If something has a high enough value to you you don't sell it.

DWB1960

In addition there is evidence that the value you place on something is related to the price paid. If something has a high enough value to you you don't sell it.
I'd guess that quite a few people subscribe to this thinking and end up holding on to guitars that they'd sell if they'd paid less for them. The same goes for wait time and peer opinion.

"Heck, I waited over a year for my XXXXX and everyone else says they are the cats meow so no way am I gonna part with it."

So wrong IMO. If you don't bond with a guitar why keep it? I've sold McNaught, Suhr, Thorn, Vinetto, PRS, Briggs, and Tyler and didn't regret a single one. In each case the funds went towards other guitars and ultimately I found matches that were much better fits for my quirks.

Pale Rider

Gold Supporting Member
I am the proud owner of a Creston Tele-
these are true custom guitars, not just cookie cutter copies of "T-style-S-style" shlock

and most are in use by some of the finer players that actually play on stages around the world
http://crestonguitars.com/

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Thorn R/S. Very nice - easily Fender Custom Shop quality with a few unique tweaks that I like. The trem is awesome, and the neck joint is very elegant. The body and neck are korina, which is also cool. Thorn seems to have found a way to be different, but always in a classy way. Ron is also very quick to respond to e-mails and is very enthusiastic about guitars in general.

You see Thorns for sale from time to time. There were 3 or4 for sale at the same time a few months back, which was pretty uncommon. They seem to hold their value pretty well.

Trending Topics