Two heads one cab questions (Yea again...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fabulusfab777, Feb 25, 2009.

1. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Hi all,

I know this was asked before, and i'm almost positive on the answer but i want answers from poeple who tried it. Ok here it is :
    I have a vertical 2x12 cab that is wired for 8 ohms but has two jack imput so you can wire 16 ohms in parallel (if i understood correctly...) I have been running my Winfield 18/30 head through this cab and i have recently purchased a new head (A Phaez not to name it...) that i will receive shortly. The cab has two 30 watts speakers so it is 60 watts total. My question is can i run the two head through this cab if i use each of there 16 ohms output into the cab ? Both head are around 30 watt so i don't think it is going to be a problem but i just want to make sure. I will be using a Wobo ABY switch to change head.

Any thoughts and that ???

2. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

3. Luke

Luke Senior Member

What speakers are 30 watts? If you mean Vintage 30s, they are really 60 watt capacity.

You would need to wire the two speakers 100% independent of each other, in other words, have two female jacks on the cabinet.

You might need to incorporate a noise gate after the a/b to cut down on hiss if one or both of the amps are going to have lots of preamp gain.

So yes it is possible, but it has to wired properly and independently. There are other ways to do it as well, but they would be too complicated for this discussion.

4. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

K, Thanks. My speakers are a Weber Alnico blue dog, 30 watts and a Hellatone 30 (aged G12h30).

I'll check it out and report on it.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

my marshall 1960 cabinet is 4 ohm, 8 ohm stereo, 16 ohm, it can run two 8 ohm amps, the power the stereo would be the power handling for 2 speakers, or 60 watts in your case for each amp, the 4 and 16 ohm runs all 4 speakers so it can handle 120 watts,

the tube amps produce more power when they are overdriven, a 30 watt tube amp will produce 60 watts peak power, a solid state amp just produces its rated power, so a 60 watt solid state amp would work as well, with one side, since it only produces 60 watts.

typically we rarely run a tube amp at peak power, usually a 50% over rating is good, I have a Vintage 30, 60 watts, for my Hot rod deluxe which is 40 watts, and thats fine.

So yes you can run two amps, in to a stereo cabinet, they would need to be 30 to 40 watt tube amps or 60 watt solid state amps, and in my case 8 ohms for both of them.
    did that answer your question?

6. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Yes pretty much, thanks Austinrocks for the reply. What i'll do is that i will do some testing once i receive my new amp. Since they will be connected i know there is no risk of blowing anything. There is SO many configuration to run a multi amp rig... i am just playing with options...

Thanks guys