Two heads, One cab?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Mark C, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Mark C

Mark C Member

I was reading where Sonny Landreth does this. Does anyone know how to run two heads into one cab and switch between them without wiping out the amps output transformers?

2. Jeff Seal

Jeff Seal Member

If you switch both the input and the output of the amp simultaneously, having the unused amp going into a resistor for load purposes and simply switching the inputs, it will work fine. (I know there are some who will disagree..but it works for me!)
    The switching has to be sequenced so that neither amp never operates without a load and is never connected together (except via ground, ultra important!)
    Jeff

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

There are a few devices (such as the Head Trip) that do this. They're not cheap, though. A simpler approach might be to wire the cab for stereo (assuming that the speakers can handle the power of both amps).

4. Andrew W

Andrew W Guest

The device Sonny Landreth uses is a Palmer E-Frog amp switcher, according to an interview I read, though I know nothing about this particular device. I've seen pricing on similar units, though, and they weren't cheap.

5. Mark C

Mark C Member

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll wait a while before getting into this.