1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Two loopers question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sette.soli, Dec 23, 2016.

1. sette.soli

sette.soli Member

I have a doubt regarding the use of two loopers simultaneously for vocals/beatbox and instrument (guitar).

I want to keep all my voice loops separate from the guitar loops, so that I can switch them off and change them without having to interrupt the guitar playback. I want to understand how this is possible with two separate loopers.
    I want to be able to regulate the two main loop volumes, since the loopers won't be connected in any way.
    This would be even cheaper than buying a Boss rc-30 (which I'm considering too): yes, it has two pedals, but probably won't do the job for me!?
    I feel like it can be a creative solution for opening up new possibilities (no Boss rc-300 like), but I also think many people entering the world of loop pedals have the same question.

Can I simply purchase a mic looper (with XLRs in/out and phantom) and a single pedal looper (Digitech Jamman solo XT) and connect them to my PA? I would like to avoid using a mixer in order to limit my gear to the essential. Can it work?

2. Mr2D

Mr2D Member

Unless you synch them in someway, you'll run into timing issues - nobodies timing is good enough that they can end both the loops at exactly the same and every time the loop goes through, those asynchronous loops will get a little bit more out of time.

I've only used two loopers feeding each other to do short loops bounced down.

IamKrisJones likes this.
  3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Digitech has Jamman Solo XT, Express and Vocal XT with the Jamsync feature which keeps them in sync but allows individual and separate operation. One unit becomes the master of timing, others are slaves to that one bit.

laughingsam and Tom Von Kramm like this.
  4. sette.soli

sette.soli Member

Do you think that two Jam man loop pedals (Solo XT and Vocal Express) synced together can work like a Boss rc-30 with its two pedals?
    The Rc-30 seem to have poor onboard effects, moreover many users complain about the annoying change from track 1 to track 2 back and forth.

Second question:
    What about a solution like Instrument and mic plugged into a simple little mixer (with phantom power and separate volume knobs), then simply out to the loop pedal then to PA?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I would assume the vocal and XT could sync up, probably question best answered by @DigiTechRep.

XT has a 1/8 aux in where you can feed in a signal from a mixer or other source.

6. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Yes the JamMan SoloXT and the VocalXT sync together via JamSync. Lots of unrealized artistic looping potential with JamSync'd JamMan pedals. I keep expecting to see more huge multi-track looping setups, but I've only seen Reyjna doing that so far.

Squatch57 likes this.
  7. sam_spade

sam_spade Member

But why isn't the JamMan Stereo being updated to have the JamSync feature?

8. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

What makes you think it isn't? ;)

9. sam_spade

sam_spade Member

I contacted Digitech earlier this year and they told me they had no plans to upgrade the JamMan Stereo in any way. I would buy one in a hot minute if they did though. :D

10. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

I don't always let Tech Support know what I'm up to.

11. sam_spade

sam_spade Member

I really look forward to seeing any updates. JamSync would make an already completely awesome looper pedal hit the stratosphere!

12. sette.soli

sette.soli Member

Once you sync two Jammans, the master pedal gives the time measure to the slave one, is this right?
    But do you still get to use two independent pedals? I mean, when you clear all loops in the slave pedal (which is for instance dedicated to the voice), does the playback in the master pedal also stop?

Is the Jamman Stereo also suitable for my purpose?
    What prevents me from buying it is the lack of phantom power and the apparently noisy switches.
    In fact I still belive a dedicated Mic looper (like Digitech Vocal or Ditto Mic looper) can give a lot of flexibility on the long run, with the possibility of using different mics and record percussion sounds, string instruments etc.

13. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

well, you missed my electric repeater period.

but wait:
    come to think of it..... almost all of my music (other than raw clips) has employed multitrack looping since around 1847.
    i like to sample the samples, too, esp. after i've altered them, or while doing so.

although, i only use zen-gorilla-sync live, since around 2003.

14. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

I know all your public looped stuff David!

I was referring specifically to JamSync'd stuff.

15. laughingsam

laughingsam Member

the rc-30 with two pedals, isn't two separate pedals. one is a pedal for record and one is a pedal for stop.

i would link up a couple jamman pedals before using the rc30, for what you're trying to do. i use an rc 20xl all the time, it doesn't do what you want it to. you'd need to get up to the boomerang iii type pedals to do what you want. and they're much more expensive than a couple jammans.

16. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

oh, gakk! and, dude..... you fast!

17. baob

baob Member

I'm probably going to invest in a setup like this, with SDrum as the master. Still researching.

One thing I can't find out: What midi signal does a jamsync master send to a jamsync slave on the second and subsequent start of loop ? Perhaps it's the same command as on the first loop I don't know. I figure some such command, other than START, must be sent, other wise I can't figure out how "Sequential Slave Recording Method" (found on the manuals for Solo and Express) would work.

(Are you now able to reveal that @Tom Von Kramm, after recent changes at Digitech ?).

It would useful to me to know that for the purpose of outputting that command from a MIDI controller of some sort.

18. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

As is the diagram below, the SDRUM sends only MIDI Clock, MIDI Start, MIDI Stop.

[​IMG]

19. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

:cool:
    I can do that with my T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X and stay perfectly sync with 3 separate tracks :aok

20. baob

baob Member

Thanks. So I guess to synchronise slaves to the start of subsequent loops, it must be sending Midi starts ?

Or, to ask another way, each slave is responding to midi start commands, when primed or armed into 'ready to record' state ?