• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Two more clips, please compare production

scottl

This clip is a close miced SM57 on G1265. Royer R121 4 feet back and mixed in at a -6b level. Verb and a touch of delay on a bounced second track at 100% wet. Solo is about 1db too low... I remix when I get home.

remixed clip http://www.scottlernermusic.com/2008/AlthraxBluesMaster2remixhttp://www.scottlernermusic.com/2008/AlthraxBluesMaster2remix.mp3

This is a basic mix of another take. Amp trimmers had the mids a little higher and bass higher too. Close miced SM57 only. Effects on main track only. Solo mix is louder.

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/2008/AlthraxBluesMaster.mp3

Any thoughts? Don't let the louder solo mix on the second clip sway you. I liked the relaxed feel of these takes btw. Baker B1 guitar. Maple top. Solid mahogany body. Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF bridge pup.

cdaloia

Scott,

You make it pretty tough on a guy to pick out of those 2 great tones. If pressed I say #2. Like the presence.

See you soon bud! One week and counting. Much to discuss.

Chuck

ToneZappa

This is getting difficult now I think I,d have to be in the studio with you to give any worth while comment.
(how about me flying across the pond tomorrow :rotflmao)

Woodyworld

Why do I feel like Enrico Fermi splittin the atom!

out of first two #2

Then you bunged in #1 again and now I'm in crisis....................

blue_lu

#2 is a lot more of what I wish my amp would produce... number one - even remixed is too harsh/shrill for me.

JohnM

Scott - have you tried the Royer right next to the 57, about an inch or so from the grill, both aimed at the same spot on the speaker?

The phasing issues are eliminated since the distance is same, and the ribbon really adds a nice fatness, capturing the cabinet sound and all.
Yeah, I know the ribbons are sensitive to SPL's and all that, but it seems to handle it fine. Just curious.

spm

This is difficult...both sounds great !
I think i like #1 little more
second has maybe little too much mids?!

hottub

listening at work thru some ear buds, but nonetheless, #2 had this quality and clarity about it that just seemed right to me. Tough to explain as I don't know the technical terms, but the notes in #2 just seemed to finish really nice, even the multi note stabs (double stops?) sounded just right.

great takes btw! will blast them thru the Rokit 5's tonight at home :)

jb70

hey scott,
your playing on all of the clips is great man! overall, i prefer the tone of the 2nd clip. it's smoother, warmer and there is a thickness in the mids that the other takes don't have. i also think the 2nd clips sits the best in the mix. nice playing dawg!

jack

spm

Just listened clips with better studio speakers and
now 2# sounds better to me ... :p

both are still really great and playing is superb !

Unburst

They all have a little high end fizziness that is probably coming from the 57.

Have you tried just the Royer as a close mic?

Trending Topics