1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

two new acoustic fingerstyle tracks up

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by zenpicker, Aug 5, 2005.

1. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Two new efforts recorded on the Tascam 788 -- a cover of Howard Emerson's Crossing Crystal Lake and one of my own outings called Laying the Roses.

http://home.comcast.net/~casademel/html/eh_music.html

Just from a recording perspective, the Crossing tune was done absolutely dry, not even reverb or compression, with a pair of condensor mikes, while the other was done with the same mike setup but some compression and EQ added on the computer later. I think I like the dry one better! In the interest of science, I will point out that they were also played on two different guitars, both Goodalls but different woods (rosewood for Crossing, koa for Laying). I think I am going to record dry for awhile and see how I like it...curious what you guys think.

Enjoy!

2. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

I played your tune crossingcrystallake Nice playing and sounding guitars!,I wish I had one that sounded that good,maybe someday lol
    The recording/guitar comes across alot in midrange in tone,maybe its my pc speakers.

3. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

What guitar did you use on layingdown the roses?,very nice sound :)

4. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

6:
    Thanks for the kind words. To answer your question, "Crossing" was done on a Goodall standard rosewood/spruce guitar with Martin Fingerstyle strings (light), while "Laying the Roses" was on a Goodall jumbo with light Marquis strings (if I recall).

As you can tell, I love Goodalls...

5. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Oh, and a small correction in the spirit of "credit where credit is due." "Crossing Crystal Lake" is not my tune but Howard Emerson's. Wish I'd written it, but....:)

6. scottl

scottl Member

Absolutely beautiful playing! Great tones and killer technique. What a nice tribute to your dad.....

Scott

7. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

You flatter me terribly, Scott :). Thanks so much for the kind words. It makes all the sweat worthwhile.

Today I finally finished mixing down an 11-minute suite that I will post soon -- though even the MP3 is 10 mb (WAV is 100 mb!). Need to transfer my website over to a new ISP and will make that part of it. I'll post a note here when it's ready for download. Like the "Crossing Crystal Lake" piece, I recorded it totally dry, no effects whatsoever, so it's a kind of fun experiment in minimalism. See what you think when it's up there.

Again, thanks for the nice words, and for listening.

8. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Scott - OK, I just listened to some of the samples on your site and now I am really flattered, if somewhat abashed, that you enjoyed my stuff. You have awesome chops and an excellent improv head. Your "Funky Jazz Sample 1" is just the kind of Scofield (/Lerner :)) groove I've been into when playing electric. Nice stuff. You have a CD? You should!