Two New Amps - Fender Pro Jr. and Vox AC4TV - First Gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yell03, Feb 19, 2012.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

I already have a Budda SD45 1x12 combo and a Marshall Class 5 1x10 combo in white tolex.

The Budda is pretty heavy and very loud and the Marshall is only 5w and just too pretty to take out for informal jams.

About two weeks ago I say a CL ad for a Vox AC4TV 1x10 combo in "pretty new" condition for $130.
    I sent one of my delivery guys over and he bought it sight unseen for $125.
    When he got back it had rips in the tolex and just looked like it had been through hard use, all my gear looks like brand new.

I contacted him and told him I was not happy and he said he would refund my money.
    Then I tried it, wow, it is a little tone monster and big deal about the appearance, it has character. It takes pedals like a champ, it just eats up my Fulltone OCD and Boss SD1, sweet.
    At 4w it will handle local jams, and it even attenuates down to 1w and 1/4w.

Last week I ended up getting in with a great singer/guitarist and we already have our first gig on Thursday night.
    I forgot to mention, he is a COUNTRY singer with great originals, I never thought that I being a hard rock/hair metal, and blues guitar player would play country, but it is awesome. Lots of major scale riffage.

It is mainly an acoustic night, but I am just adding leads and background to the music using one of my Telecasters. I wanted to bring the Vox, but....
    I checked the place out and it is fairly large, two floors and if not miked the 5w Marshall or 4w Vox might struggle, and I think the 45w Budda is overkill.

So off I went in search of an amp for the show and at a local retailer I picked up a closeout special on a Brand New 15w Fender Pro Jr. 1x10 combo for $275. It is not the newer model Pro Jr. III, so it was marked at $299 and I had a 15% off coupon = SCORE!

Great tones at the volumes I have been playing, like volume on 2-3, but I have not pushed it yet.
    It also eats up pedals like a champ.
    For this gig I am probably going to go minimalist and just bring my SD1 and OCD overdrives, I thought about my Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master Reverb/Delay, but I think for background it won't be necessary.

I figure at 15w it should handle this gig even without bring miked, remember, no drummer, only me and the acoustic guitar/vocals will go through the PA.

I want to stay clean for 3 out of the 12 songs, only playing notes and melodies - no chords I am hoping the 15w Fender Pro Jr. will keep up at decent volumes without breaking up too much.
    I plan on rolling the Tele's volume knob a lot.

I am really pleased with the tone & simplicity of the Fender Pro Jr, plus it is so small and portable.

My whole life I only played 2 channel amps, then about a year ago I started liking master volume single channel amps, now I really love the simplicity of just having a volume and tone controls and using pedals for dirt.

For those with gigging experience, will the 15w Fender Pro Jr keep up with a fairly large place and a miked acoustic and vocals?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. Peppy

Peppy Member

It should keep up easily but doubt you'll need any overdrive pedals for that music style, that particular gig situation and that amp. I run my Pro. Jr. sans any boosting pedal...and that's for straight-ahead rock.

3. yell03

yell03 Member

Thanks so much for the info/advice.

He does a couple rocking songs where I get to do some hard rocking leads.
    Usually, at low volumes I boost my OCD with my SD1 in to a totally clean amp for these situations.
    If the amp is already breaking up with the guitar volume cranked I could just use the SD1, I better give it a go at home and see.

The dogs are going to HATE me, maybe I'll lock myself in a closed room.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012