• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Two, No, Wait! Three Free IRs

Jay Mitchell

Step right up. There are two - no, three - in here. If you're interested, try 'em out. More information later. Money back if not fully satisfied. Just return unused portion of product for full refund of price of purchase. (Shipping not included)

Free Jay Mitchell IRs

Edit: The link is active again. If you check these out, please post a note to that effect in this thread.

Last edited:

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
disclaimer: I am NOT any kind of tone sniffer. Just a hack amateur guitar player.

I tried these on my Helix with the JTM45, through a PC212+ (they wouldn't import to the PC212+).
Normally I use the Speaker emulations, and if I use IRs, any brand, I cut the HF Driver by 6.5db to reduce the hiss that seems to be inherent to all of them.
NO HISS on either of these, I can leave the HF Driver at 0db.
The JMCH is kind of "Fendery", the JMEH has much more body.

I compared them to the "Natural" Speaker setting (L6 Eminence without EQ) of the PC212+, and it falls somewhere between the JMCH and JMEH.

Both are clear as a bell. They sound like, dare I say, speakers?

If these are examples of your famous FFIRs (I missed the first go-round), I say BRAVO!

Jay Mitchell

I tried these on my Helix with the JTM45, through a PC212+ (they wouldn't import to the PC212+).
They are 48kHz SR, 16-bit. Compatible with most modelers. What does the PC expect?
The JMCH is kind of "Fendery", the JMEH has much more body.
That's an interesting observation, and I'm in general agreement. All is not as it might appear, however. Watch this space....
Both are clear as a bell. They sound like, dare I say, speakers?
That's kinda the point. To me, at least.
If these are examples of your famous FFIRs
It's the only kind I ever take, use, or share.
I say BRAVO!
Glad you like 'em. Thanks for your observations.

Tito83

Your IR's always sound a bit... Weird? Not in a bad way though, but I must say it's not like any other I've tried - and I guess that's what you're aiming for. I totally get @rd2rk comment about it being "clean" - it's not how I'd use the term usually, but I get what he's conveing.

You always complain things coloring IR's, reflections, mics, etc. But as I understand that's exactly the point. Isn't it? Like, I have the amp loaded down, or a model, and the IR makes it sound like the guitar cab with a certain speaker is being mic'd with a certain mic in a room, exactly like when the IR was made.

What's your IR trying to sound like? If it isn't colored by the mic for example, it won't sounded like a regular recorded cab we hear in every album, right? Are your IR's best suited for a live monitor?

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
They are 48kHz SR, 16-bit. Compatible with most modelers. What does the PC expect?
IIRC from trying to import a "custom" IR from THU, it had to do with the length of the IR. Somebody explained how to "trim" it in Reaper, but of course I can't find that conversation.

squealie

Thanks Jay.

Unrelated, I have a Frazier wedge that a preacher gave me after I unplugged it from 40' above the choir loft. I was disappointed that it wasn't one of the coaxial designs. I sold (as a young Pro audio retailer) several PA boxes that were inspired in the HF waveguide from Frazier designs. And loved the Frazier coax wedges that my store had stocked.

Jay rocks.

Jay Mitchell

What's your IR trying to sound like?
Dang, it's not like I haven't answered this exact question dozens of times. Have you ever owned an amp and cab? Did you ever play through that amp/cab somewhere - your bedroom, man-cave, rehearsal, gig, etc. - and hear it directly, i.e., not through a PA? Was that a bad experience for you?

One more time: it sounds like the cab it came from when you play through the cab. I only share IRs that pass that direct AB test.

Jay Mitchell

They do sound like guitar cabs
Yup.
but are too mid heavy and hollow sounding compared to the 'standard' Ownhammer IRs, in my personal opinion.
You do realize that you just said that guitar cabs "are too mid heavy and hollow sounding compared to the 'standard' Ownhammer IRs," don't you?

If you don't like how guitar cabs sound, you're wasting your time here.

Jay Mitchell

IIRC from trying to import a "custom" IR from THU, it had to do with the length of the IR. Somebody explained how to "trim" it in Reaper, but of course I can't find that conversation.
These IRs are only 1024 samples. If they need to be trimmed to work in a PC, then those things use really short IRs.

James Freeman

I know right. :rotflmao
Anyway, I can hear why people really love your work, and I can also hear why people really don't like your work.
I prefer more direct fuller sounding close miced IRs, that's all.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom