Two Notes CAB - Help

kwk13

Gold Supporting Member
I have my amp running into an Aracom attenuator (16Ohm settings on both) and then have the Line Out of the Aracom running into the Two Notes CAB. I have tried various IRs from the current Ownhammer Vintage set. When it is just the amp playing clean everything sounds very nice. If I add a Bogner Blue pedal or a Himmelstrutz Fetto Custom into the amp (between guitar and amp input), the tone gets crazy brittle sounding and "scratchy". Very harsh. WHen I just use the amp, pedals and a normal guitar cabinet, the setup sounds great.

I've tried adjusting input and output levels, etc but no luck. I don't have any meters going into the "red" that I can see.

Has anybody else had a problem running a gainy pedal into the CAB? I ran the pedal straight into the CAB using one of the CAB amps and it pretty much sounded bad in the the same way. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, just not sure what. I'd love for this to sound as good as it does without the pedal. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
I have my Two Rock Studio 35 running into an Aracom attenuator (16Ohm settings on both) and then have the Line Out of the Aracom running into the Two Notes CAB. I have tried various IRs from the current Ownhammer Vintage set. When it is just the amp playing clean everything sounds very nice. If I add a Bogner Blue pedal or a Himmelstrutz Fetto Custom into the amp (between guitar and amp input), the tone gets crazy brittle sounding and "scratchy". Very harsh. WHen I just use the amp, pedals and a normal guitar cabinet, the setup sounds great.

I've tried adjusting input and output levels, etc but no luck. I don't have any meters going into the "red" that I can see.

Has anybody else had a problem running a gainy pedal into the CAB? I ran the pedal straight into the CAB using one of the CAB amps and it pretty much sounded bad in the the same way. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, just not sure what. I'd love for this to sound as good as it does without the pedal. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
You are having problems with your amp and not the TPCAB. But lets get the Aracom out of the equation for a moment and ltd just try the preamp section of your two rock... try this and hear how the pedal sound..... This diagram will make make your Two Rock serve as a Preamp generator and be silent at the same time, important you speaker needs to be connected to the head.

kwk13

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks NicolasRivera! I'll try this tonite when I get home from work. Excuse my ignorance but where does the "Dummy cable" go to? Is it needed/plugged into something?

Thanks again!

nicolasrivera

Thanks NicolasRivera! I'll try this tonite when I get home from work. Excuse my ignorance but where does the "Dummy cable" go to? Is it needed/plugged into something?

Thanks again!
No where, use any cable and plug it no where, that is the cable that silents the speaker.... its works this way, when the amp detects that you are using the FX loop it splits the linear signal from its preamp section into the power amp section in the middle so the power amp section is waiting for the signal to return from that dummy cable, but if nothing comes from it no sound is reproduced. I use a really short cable and sometimes just a headphone adapter from 1/8 to 1/4.

Now, this will only work with amplifiers in which FX loop is in series, if its in Parallel it will not shut the amps sound, it will still sent the preamp signal from the send, but it won't be silent.

sysexguy

Hi kwk13, I'm sure we can get your issue sorted, Nicolas has some good suggestions.

If you are using the Remote software, this will provide some more in-depth metering, is the CAB set to "line input"? Is the power amp modeling switched off?

Also if the CAB is plugged into a mic level input either on your DAW, mixer or whatever's downstream, you may be getting clipping that you cannot see. The boosting of the front end may just push the system over the threshold of nasty clipping. Try plugging the cab into a line only input such as an aux channel or effect return (on your console/daw) and see if there's a change.

Also, and I am currently not able to confirm this, the third party IR's may have been normalized such that they do not have the headroom of the Torpedo files. This can be adjusted in the BlendIR IR management utility we offer for free download...Try the Torpedo files first and see if the problem goes away.

you are welcome to pm me or email me at andy@diffusion-audio.com

Andy

Andy

kwk13

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry again guys but just to confirm:

"so the power amp section is waiting for the signal to return from that dummy cable, but if nothing comes from it no sound is reproduced"

No return signal to the amp will not harm the amp as long as a speaker is plugged in, correct?

Thanks Again! If that works, then I guess I don't need the attenuator in line at all anymore, right?? That makes setup in the studio a little simpler!

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry again guys but just to confirm:

"so the power amp section is waiting for the signal to return from that dummy cable, but if nothing comes from it no sound is reproduced"

No return signal to the amp will not harm the amp as long as a speaker is plugged in, correct?

Thanks Again! If that works, then I guess I don't need the attenuator in line at all anymore, right?? That makes setup in the studio a little simpler!
That is correct. The power section is still connected to the speaker so all that is safe.... if any signal was present the amp would produce sound in the usual way as it was designed. Since you have the dummy cable plugged in there will be no signal sent to the waiting power amp section, it behaves as if there was no guitar pugged in. But the preamp signal is being detoured to the Torpedo CAB where it will do its thing.

You won't get the exact same interaction of the preamp section working 'up against' the power section but that doesn't mean it will necessarily be vastly different feeling. The sound now becomes largely dependant on the Torpedo CAB instead which can be a very good thing.

nicolasrivera

Correct. The speaker is also known as LOAD, every amplifier needs a LOAD in order for the output transformer and output tubes to work correctly, not plugging the speaker of plugging the speaker with a guitar cable will eventually damaged the output transformer to the tubes to both.

You Aracom Attenuator is tricking the amp as if it was a speaker.

The Torpedo CAB has extremely capable power section simulations, you may find that they actually work better then having the Aracom.

sysexguy

The "dummy cable" is required in order to switch in the effects loop. Most amps are configured this way. If you are using a cable for this, either tape off the tip and/or make sure it isn't touching anything. If your amp has a serial/parallel switch or blend control, set it to serial or 100%. Depending on your amp, you may be able to set the master volume to off, post effects send (effectively muting the dummy cable anyway).

In this configuration as Nicolas notes, you would use the power amp modelling to complete the sound, not require the Aracom and to some degree, extend your power tube's expected lifespan.

Andy

kwk13

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks again guys for all the great info! Now I can't wait to get home from work and try this stuff out!

Correct. The speaker is also known as LOAD, every amplifier needs a LOAD in order for the output transformer and output tubes to work correctly, not plugging the speaker of plugging the speaker with a guitar cable will eventually damaged the output transformer to the tubes to both.

You Aracom Attenuator is tricking the amp as if it was a speaker.

The Torpedo CAB has extremely capable power section simulations, you may find that they actually work better then having the Aracom.
The power amp sims are very nice

kwk13

Gold Supporting Member
Uh, one last stupid question......the CAB manual says to try both input levels (GTR and Line) in the "FX Loop" out to CAB scenario. Just want to confirm that using either input setting won't damage the CAB? I've only used the Line setting so far.

sysexguy

you're safe, the only damage possibility would be connecting a speaker out to the line input.

I would recommend turning down what ever monitoring you use prior to switching level settings (as one would do with any gear)

Andy

Chappie

How did this end up working?? I'm thinking about the purchase of a CAB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chappie

Hey there. I'm curious how it works with pedals only for one, I'm going to use a fulltone Plimsoul and probably a delayin front of it then the CAB then straight to board. Maybe a wah as well. How sensitive is it to volume roll off on the guitar?

Then I might use it with a Marshall hooked up through the effects loop. I saw the post where it was outlined how to do it and keep the amp silent.

Thanks!
Chappie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwk13

Gold Supporting Member
Hi CHappie,

I haven't had a chance to try this yet. Work is killing me but I will report back when I test this out.

Trending Topics