Two notes Torpedo C.A.B. question

Guitarzan00

Hi all,

New to the forum here. I was looking into purchasing a torpedo C.A.B. I had a question regarding how the Torpedo C.A.B. works (specifically with an amp) I have a Peavey 6505+ 112, which I have an EQ and reverb in the loop. I'd like to still use the EQ and reverb, and any other future pedals that I get that usually go into the loop, while using the C.A.B. If I understand correctly, I can connect the C.A.B to the FX send, and then out to my mixer (use the mixer to plug my laptop/Ipad, and play some backing tracks to my headphones.)

Would I be able to go as follows? Guitar -> OD -> Amp-> FX send -> EQ -> Reverb -> Torpedo C.A.B. -> mixer. Would that work as if my pedals are in the FX loop, essentially they would fall in between the pre-amp, and power amp (seeing as the C.A.B. will have power amp sim turned on) and should work as if it was just in an amp's FX loop normally, right?

If I do this, would plugging a cable connected to nothing in the return of the FX loop mute the speaker (while still plugged in obviously to handle the load) and I would get sound only through the mixer. In theory, this all makes sense to me, but I'm not sure I completely understand how FX loops, or even the torpedo C.A.B. really work.

Thanks.

rsm

Yes, that should work (no longer have my CAB). In your chain you're getting your pre-effects (before the preamp) and your preamp from your amp.

You could also move your time based effects (delay, reverb) after the CAB which is what I'd do (and did) with my CAB rig

edit: my chain was:

Guitar --> Filter --> Comp ---> OD/Dist/Fuzz --> preamp --> CAB --> Boost --> Mod --> Pitch --> Delay ---> Reveb ---> EQ ---> stereo out to FRFR monitor/PA

Last edited:

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
Hi all,

New to the forum here. I was looking into purchasing a torpedo C.A.B. I had a question regarding how the Torpedo C.A.B. works (specifically with an amp) I have a Peavey 6505+ 112, which I have an EQ and reverb in the loop. I'd like to still use the EQ and reverb, and any other future pedals that I get that usually go into the loop, while using the C.A.B. If I understand correctly, I can connect the C.A.B to the FX send, and then out to my mixer (use the mixer to plug my laptop/Ipad, and play some backing tracks to my headphones.)

Would I be able to go as follows? Guitar -> OD -> Amp-> FX send -> EQ -> Reverb -> Torpedo C.A.B. -> mixer. Would that work as if my pedals are in the FX loop, essentially they would fall in between the pre-amp, and power amp (seeing as the C.A.B. will have power amp sim turned on) and should work as if it was just in an amp's FX loop normally, right?

If I do this, would plugging a cable connected to nothing in the return of the FX loop mute the speaker (while still plugged in obviously to handle the load) and I would get sound only through the mixer. In theory, this all makes sense to me, but I'm not sure I completely understand how FX loops, or even the torpedo C.A.B. really work.

Thanks.

Absolutely, that's would work perfectly, its the ways i had used it in the past. Many amps relay of preamp section for virtually all of the amps sound, so using the send from the FX loop into the TCAB and turning on the power amp emulation in it will yield very pleasing sounds. ;)

Guitarzan00

Thanks for the replies guys, I was fairly certain of that part, but I just wanted to know if sticking stuff in between the pre-amp and the CAB works (or gives the same and/or similar results) as putting them through the send/return of the FX loop in a traditional amp/cab scenario. Or is it best to put those effects after the CAB? I suppose for EQ and Reverb, it should work on either side, but I would think you wouldn't really want to put any modulation effects after the CAB?

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
The send level of the fx send loop is safe to use with fxs and the tcab, i would leave all timw based fxs after the tcab, even a compressor would work great after the tcab.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom