Two Notes Torpedo CAB (Amp & Cabsim Stompbox)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Earl Mobile, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Earl Mobile

Earl Mobile Member

2. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

interesting. still pretty pricey though...

3. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

US anticipated street price is $549. The remote s/w is included, as is the software to capture your own IR's or import 3rd party IR's. Most importantly, it fits perfectly on a pedalboard, perfect for travelling light to gigs or studio.

Andy

4. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

hmm...sounding a little better :)
    seems you have captured what SM Pro Audio has been trying to do for several years with little success. best wishes for this little box :)

5. cardinal

cardinal Member

Saw this a few weeks ago. Definitely cool. Add a simple load box and you can easily turn any tube amp into a headphone amp with a relatively inexpensive and non-cluttered solution (looks like there's a headphone out on the pedal). Sure there are other solutions (e.g., running a Palmer to a mixer then into headphones, the original Two Notes rack unit, or running into a computer), but this is so much simpler, more flexible, and/or cheaper IMHO.

6. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

We also have the Torpedo Live ($995) which combines a 100W reactive loadbox with the Torpedo process (32 cabinets, 8 mics and 512 User or third party IR's). Basically, take the CAB pedal, add the loadbox and a digital output in a shallow depth single rack space unit.

The Torpedo Live lands very soon. Both units also have optional power amp modeling which means that combined with one's favorite tube pre-amp pedal or rackmount, one has a super portable, awesome sounding rig. We have some new files coming both on sound cloud and youtube.

Two Notes now has a chart which helps compare the various units to help find the right one for you http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-cab/#compare

Andy

7. djd100

djd100 Member

Hi Andy, I'm very interested in some demos of the power amp sims!

I'm currently using a Axe FX Ultra for power amp sim and cab sim with custom tube pre's, but would prefer to off-load that task to something better, for not only better sound but to free up more Axe CPU for FX.

How are the power amp sims?

Thanks...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  8. godspeed

godspeed Member

OMG!!! I have been waiting for something like this for a long time. Finally :D

9. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

If you have a DAW, download the Torpedo PI-FREE plug in.

http://www.two-notes.com/en/software/torpedo-pi-free/

It only has a single cabinet/mic but all the other functions are fully enabled. This would be the easiest way to compare the power functions and far more useful than if I just say how great they are:D

We are going to make a soundcloud demo that just focuses on the power amp's contribution. Their comment tagging method will make that easy to identify what's being used at a given time.

The effect is subtle but one really notices the difference once it is removed.

Andy

10. danel59

danel59 Member

Hey Andy

When you say "optional" power amp modeling what do you mean by that?
    Will this be a pay for option to download or do you mean that the power amp models are included and we have the option to use them or not?

This does sound like a pretty cool unit especially being able to use it with other modelers for example that may not have great speaker and mike sims

Thanks

Dan

11. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

Hi Danel59, optional means it can be bypassed or engaged (either by patch choice or midi).

The only options that are extra cost would be if you purchase additional commercial third party IR's.

At this time, the included Two Notes library has over 40 cabinets, each with 8 different mics and 10,000 possible placements, both front and back (ie 20,000 options/mic).

A blitz of new cabinet choices will become available throughout the year, both modern and vintage. One will simply audition and choose the cabinets one wants in the Torpedo unit at any given time and load them in.

Andy

12. Earl Mobile

Earl Mobile Member

are there particular "amp models" (how much and which?) or just one power amp model? i dont get it.

cheers

13. danel59

danel59 Member

This is too cool. I forgot the model name of the free version of the Software
    but I have it and it sounds great. I will definitely be watching for more info especially release date before making many more gear decisions.

Dan

14. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

There are 4 models:

EL34, EL84, 6L6 or KT88

each one may be in push-pull or single ended mode, there is a selection for triode or pentode and controls for volume, presence and depth.

Andy

15. djd100

djd100 Member

Hmmm, Intel only (my studio runs Pro Tools TDM Mix+++ rigs on PPC Macs currently), so I don't have a system to run the free plug. Please point me at the power amp sim demo audio files if possible?

I'm a pushed mid-gain guy most of the time, so a distorting power amp behind a three stage preamp is what I use most often. Does it sound good if you push it into distortion, and does it include the Phase Inverter's contribution to distortion in it's Class AB modes?

Thanks...

16. nonconforme

nonconforme Member

Hi all,

the samples are not online as we are currently working on it. Actually I'm out tonight to catch a video of the Torpedo Live at a small venue to see it working with smaller systems (PA) than we (and our customers) usually work with.

To tell few words about the "TORPEDO spirit" :

With any hardware product, you receive a PC/MAC remote software and a software to record your own impulses.

I don't know about an SM Pro product that could do the same, but we are currently selling this kind of product since december 2008 so we know what it is about.

The Two Notes products embed something like 45 cabinets with 8 microphones, and we give new cabinets FOR FREE. For example, the early adopters of the TORPEDO VB-101 started with 16 cabinets...

About release dates :

The TORPEDO Live will hit the stores in Europe in beginning of March, in the US a little bit later.

The Torpedo C.A.B. is scheduled for April/May, max.

About the price :

All the units are entirely made in France, within a range of 10 miles around our office. The assembly and final quality control is made by us. Our suppliers (electronics, metal cases...) are all working for medical applications and aircraft industry, which are the main specialties in our area, in the south of France.

As a matter of fact, the products are more expensive than chinese products (or "US" products embedding chinese stuff), but we hope this huge ability to control quality and to react fast in any case increase the value of our work.

17. nonconforme

nonconforme Member

All I can tell you is that the algorithm we use is based on actual Push-Pull and Single-ended circuits, considering ALL components on those typical schematics.

In my opinion, I could write pages on how we do that, the only way to decide if it's good enough for you is to try it.

18. djd100

djd100 Member

Thanks, looking forward to trying it out!

19. gp81

gp81 Member

Will this box be usable in an effects loop after the amp sim, but before stereo effects in a boss GT-10 or Line6 HD500? I imagine this could really expand one of these units.

20. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

yes, the Torpedo CAB can be placed after all the distortion stages and before any stereo, time based process (delay/chorus/reverb etc.).

Andy