Two Notes Torpedo CAB (Amp & Cabsim Stompbox)

djd100

Well, got the free plugin running on a cheap PC with motherboard audio instead of the studio's PPC Macs running Pro Tools TDM with Apogee converters, and in spite of the PC's crummy on-board audio quality the Torpedo's Power Amp and Cab/Mic Sims sounded simply outstanding behind my tube preamps (tested both 1959 Marshall and Orange OR120 preamps into the EL34 Class AB Power Amp and Cab/Mic Sims), congratulations to all at Two Notes!

Thanks, looking forward to trying it out!

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all, I am quite new to the concepts offered by the Torpedo products.

I have a desire to form the simplest rig in order to play my music live.

My goal is to do the following: Use a delay pedal and a distortion pedal into a powered monitor. (The powered monitor is one referred to as Full Range Flat Response). I was told that a distortion pedal WITHOUT cabinet simulation played through a powered monitor would sound horrible.... would the Torpedo C.A.B. be a good solution to my problem, in order to create a more "traditional" tone when played using a monitor speaker?

Would I simply use the Torpedo in a sound chain as follows:

Barber (distortion pedal) > Yamaha UD Stomp (delay pedal) > Torpedo > Alto 112 (powered cabinet)?

Thanks to all for your input!

DougDoppler

Gold Supporting Member
Hey guys:)

One of the stereo units is supposed to be making it's way to me. I'll be posting clips when that happens...

Cheers ~ Doug;)

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
Yes! Please post a review once you've gotten to try it out.

I have little doubt that it will outshine the very limited cab sims in most multi fx.

:)

rmpacheco

I'm very interested in this as well...looking forward to clips! I'm really hoping to be able to go from guitar -> overdrive -> torpedo cab -> delay/reverb -> DI ? -> FOH

sysexguy

No this is not possible as the USB connector is not used for audio. The Torpedo Live has a coax spdif output which can be connected to a computer if it also has a similar input. Mac users can use a coax to optical converter from M-Audio(co2) or Hosa for a lowest cost input solution.

The Torpedo Cab has no digital out.

Andy

Earl Mobile

i have a "stupid" question about the "torpedo live":

it says "Input impedance : 8 ohms fixed"

so what about my two old "4 ohm" fender amps then? can i use them with the torpedo, without doing any damage or such?

nonconforme

Hi Earl Mobile,

your question is not stupid at all.

We always recommend to match the impedance indicated on the speaker out of your amp with a corresponding load (loadbox or cabinet). This said, it's hard to anticipate how your amp will react with an 8 Ohms load. So it may work, without any damage. But I can't guarantee it.

There are two more satisfying options :

- using a 4 Ohms cabinet plugged in the speaker THRU of the Torpedo Live. of course if the purpose is to get rid of the cab, this option is disqualified.

- using an impedance matcher (like Weber sells) wich is basically a transformer in a box, adapting for example a 4 ohms amp output to an 8 ohms loadbox/cab Input. It's an extra cost, but you have a lot more flexibility.

Earl Mobile

Hi Earl Mobile,

your question is not stupid at all.

We always recommend to match the impedance indicated on the speaker out of your amp with a corresponding load (loadbox or cabinet). This said, it's hard to anticipate how your amp will react with an 8 Ohms load. So it may work, without any damage. But I can't guarantee it.

There are two more satisfying options :

- using a 4 Ohms cabinet plugged in the speaker THRU of the Torpedo Live. of course if the purpose is to get rid of the cab, this option is disqualified.

- using an impedance matcher (like Weber sells) wich is basically a transformer in a box, adapting for example a 4 ohms amp output to an 8 ohms loadbox/cab Input. It's an extra cost, but you have a lot more flexibility.

thanks!

do you know any european companys who make an impedance matcher?

nonconforme

Actually, I really don't know. I will do some research.

EDIT : another option, but I forgot to mention it, is to have two Torpedo live in parallel. ;) Well, I know, that's more than a little cost increase.

Earl Mobile

i have one more question. can you use the torpedo live like the torpedo C.A.B. , without an amp? does the live have internal poweramp modeling?