Two Notes Torpedo CAB simulating Power Amp tube distortion

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by davetone, Apr 21, 2015.

1. davetone

davetone Member

Hello. How does a Torpedo CAB sound when it is "pushed" by a pre-amp pedal? Can it simulate power amp tube distortion?

Please bear with me for this question. It's my understanding in a tube guitar amp, there could be pre-amp distortion, and there is also the power amp tube distortion, where a pre-amp might "push" the power amp tubes to create distortion.

I don't doubt that a tube preamp pedal could create good preamp tube distortion into a Torpedo CAB pedal, where the Torpedo CAB would represent a clean power amp tube sound, and the preamp pedal provides the distortion.

But how about where the power amp is pushed and the distortion comes either in part or mostly from the power amp tubes? Can the Two Notes Torpedo CAB reflect that kind of distortion?

In another lively thread there were a couple of comments about using a tube preamp pedal into a Two Notes Torpedo CAB. So I thought it might be best to bring this side conversation up in a brand new thread.

Thanks for any responses!

2. CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot Member

Yes, the C.A.B. can simulate power amp tube distortion. I can take the C.A.B. with it's power amp settings (Volume, Presence, Depth) and select the EL34 setting and with a tube pre-amp get the same type of response to turning up the master volume (power amp) on my amp head with EL34 power tubes.

3. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

For a good while I was using AMT preamp pedals and ReCabinet for recording. I got the Wall Of Sound plug-in from Two Notes and it was really nice because it did in fact allow for tube coloration. Not so much adding tube distortion I guess but say f you took a track and had a V30 impulse on it, you could add a single/pair of KT88's and it really was noticeably different. You can do that with the Torpedo Live and CAB as well.

4. djd100

djd100 Member

Yes, the Two Notes tube power amp models are excellent and can duplicate vintage tube amp distortion/compression very well, and they do it without the weight and SPL limitations of the real thing.

Aside from the 6L6's I suggest starting with the Presence Control up hi and adjusting to taste.

The 6L6's have more low end than the others so maybe 50% with those to start.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  5. davetone

davetone Member

Thanks for the replies gentlemen!

A couple of years ago I sold my Marshall tube combo amp (it wasn't their best model, it was discontinued a while ago). I had a love/hate relationship with it. When I could open it up, with the master volume at noon or higher, I could get good tones. But with the master at lower settings, which was most of the time, I think the overdrive was purely preamp distortion. And it didn't sound that good to me at lower volumes with the master volume low, but the gain up higher.

So it is very good to know that the Torpedo CAB can do power amp distortion simulation, and thanks also for the setting recommendations for future reference!

Right now my "amp" is a Yamaha THR10C into a Tech 21 Power Engine. I'm really thinking of a tube preamp pedal into a CAB, partly because sound guys love when they get a direct signal. And I'm happy with the sounds I'm getting now, but I think the CAB/tube preamp combo would probably sound a lot better.

This is good food for thought. Thanks again!

6. djd100

djd100 Member

The CAB can also function as the ultimate master volume in the FX Loop of high powered amps as you can crush your virtual tube power amp while using your amp's power for final SPL.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    AtomicBlaze likes this.
  7. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Member

My experience is the CAB does a really convincing job at simulating power amp distortion. I think the "feel" could be ever so slightly better but the tonal effect is really good.

8. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Member

That is a REALLY cool application for the CAB, one that I never thought of!

9. Pickerman

Pickerman Supporting Member

I used a Pharoah fuzz, Morning Glory, and a Timmy into a Mesa V-Twin Preamp into the CAB for a year, and a half. It was amazing. Granted I used the Mesa as a clean/almost edge of breakup platform for the other pedals, and never used the blues or solo settings. I would also agree that the touch sensitivity of the CAB is good, but could be a little better. All in all, the CAB does a fantastic job of power tube distortion. Really believable!

10. djd100

djd100 Member

In what way would you like to see the "feel" improved?

IMO the tube power amp sims are more related to a saggy tube rectified power amp than a modern solid state rectified power amp, is this what you mean or is it something else?

11. Pickerman

Pickerman Supporting Member

That's pretty much it for me. Not that I'm a great player, but it's harder to get some of the harmonic character to come out at higher power amp levels than it is with my Axe II. I guess I shouldn't be so picky since the CAB comes in 1/5th the price point of the CAB.

12. djd100

djd100 Member

A lot of this depends on the preamp you're using as well of course?

In my case I'm using cutom MTS tube preamps and a vintage Kittyhawk Quattro, which are all HV.

13. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Member

Let me preface by saying I think the CAB is freakin' fantastic in so many ways.

I'm going for a Marshall Super Lead type sound, which is not modern, but it does have a solid state rectifier. I have the real thing, so I know exactly what it sounds and feels like. Even at only 1/3 to 1/2 volume it sags quite a bit more than the CAB.

There's just a bit of stiffness to the tone and the feel of the power amp modeling that could be improved on. This is quiet bedroom jamming domain, strictly. It's not much of an issue when I'm wailing away with bandmates or mixing it into a recording.

I want to say it again, the CAB really delivers. The only improvements I would add are parametric EQ and improving upon the already good power amp modeling.

14. djd100

djd100 Member

I agree!

So, if I understand you correctly you're thinking the CAB is not saggy enough vs your real Super Lead?

I have an reasonably accurate MTS Super Lead preamp and I've A&B'd my MTS Super Lead/CAB rig to a friend's real Super Lead and our studio's Plexi, and found in these two cases the real Marshall's were much stiffer than the MTS/CAB rig, though of course part of those differences were from the MTS preamp too (MTS has an extra tube stage in the chassis that softens everything a bit).

I'm just trying to understand everyone's perceptions here.

I agree that the proposed addition of a sweepable mid band and HP/LP EQ options would be great, and some sort of SAG Control would be welcome as well (rectifier and power supply filtering options).

15. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Member

Very cool, as I've also been using a Plexi-style preamp (Kingsley Constable) into the CAB. That CAB is one of the funnest coolest toys I've had in years!

I does still feel a little stiffer to me than the real Super Lead, and also a little stiffer than say, running the Constable into the FX return of a Rivera combo amp. The difference to me is noticeable, but not at all a problem.

Further clarification, it's only noticeable when I switch back and forth. My home practice rig has been the Kingsley into the CAB, into studio monitors. Jamming on that for days on end, it sounds and feels awesome. I'm pretty much in heaven. Just last week detached the Kingsley pedalboard, and took the Rivera to a basement jam with some buds. When I fired up the rig to start playing I had this WOW moment when I felt difference of the real tube power amp reacting in the otherwise identical signal chain. Believe it or not, I didn't find the tone significantly better, the CAB is that good! It did feel much much different under the fingers.

My live rig is a totally different pedalboard into the Super Lead, which is also a bit more reactive. Not really apples to apples though, lots of different factors.

Anyways, all this is really splitting hairs. It's only evident when I switch from one rig to the other. On it's own, the CAB is freaking amazing. If all my amps blew up I could gig with the pedals and CAB and do perfectly fine. This is exactly why I bought it, for realistic home practice, recording, and emergency use. It is simply perfect for all that.

16. ipm

ipm Member

I use Van Weelden Royal Overdrive into CAB and I'm really impressed. SO MUCH FUN... But that is because of RO. This shows how important the preamp is in getting good sound with CAB.

17. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Just like a real amp, preamp is everything.

18. djd100

djd100 Member

Gain staging is everything of course.

Make sure you're hitting the CAB hot but not clipping it etc.

If going for cranked vintage Marshall tones I set the power amp sim's volume between 18 - 23 or so, with the presence up high excepting with the 6L6's, this gets pretty compressed if the input level is good.

If using a hotter preamp or going for a cleaner thing then I set the volume between 10 - 18 generally as that's not as compressed.

In any case I love the tube power amp sims and use them daily.