Two pedal ideas.

Turi

Hi guys.
I've got some sick ideas.
Let me know if these have already been done before.

First one is an overdrive pedal.

I saw the BOSS OD-20 yesterday, and thought it was kind of cool, but then I got to thinking up a cool idea.

It'd be a digital overdrive with two pedals, that you can basically create from scratch on your PC.
Think something along the lines of TC's Toneprint stuff - you could hook the overdrive up to your PC, and basically, create your own drive.
You could select every single piece (diodes etc) that affects the sound in the editor, and load it up onto your pedal.

As the pedal has two separate buttons, you can use the second one to load up an entirely different pedal that you created.
So you could have one as a normal overdrive, and the other one as a boosted version of the first one. Or the second one could be a distortion or a fuzz or whatever you want.

It should have a little knob that lets you flick through some presets, each of which is just a setting for pedal one and pedal two, so you can save yourself multiple presets of twin pedals.

Both pedals should have some knobs above them that let you alter some of the parameters - level, drive and tone.
If there's more parameters that would be handy, then perhaps you should be able to set these knobs to whatever parameter you want.

There should also be stereo input and outputs, and you should be able to make pedal one go through output L or R, same for pedal two.
This would let you effectively keep them in separate chains, for people who might want to send the different pedals to different amps.

There should also be expression pedal inputs for both pedals, and you can select whatever parameter you want to be affected here, so you could ramp up the gain with your pedal or whatever, kind of in the same vein as the M-Series from Line 6.

I don't know. It sounded cool in my head. I think people would buy it.

Second one is some ideas for a follow up to the Digitech Timebender.

The Timebender is a fantastic pedal, it does things no other pedal can do, and I think it could do even more with the following.

Option to use the harmoniser as a real time effect and not purely as a delay, I understand there's *always* a delay when using a harmonizer, but the harmoniser in the Timebender is intended to alter the repeated notes, so the delay is perhaps slightly longer than other harmonisers, even Digitechs own other harmoniser pedals.

More flexibility with the modulation knob.

More presets. A pedal this powerful should have more than four presets.

Either ditch the looper, or come up with a way to use both delays and loopers at the same time with in the dual pedal format.

Perhaps tricky to pull off in a dual pedal format, but the Timebender NEEEEDDDSSSS to have a function where you have some kind of different effect, like the harmoniser, more modulation, reverse mode etc etc, that ONLY is active when you hold a button down.
It should work exactly like the EHX SMMH's 1 second + reverse mode does - ****, that exact mode should be on this delay.
I should be able to have ordinary delays set up, and then hold down a button, and in comes my weird harmonised delays but only whilst I hold the button down (option to latch as well?).

Dual delays. It should be able to do dual delays, not multi-head delays or anything, just do two delay sounds at the same time - perhaps even be flexible enough for one of the to be a normal, pristine digital delay, and the second delay could be a heavily affected delay.

Both delays should be able to be sent to separate amps.

It should also have a delay that's like the Roland Space Echo - those beautiful, warm, fluid delays that just melt into each other - the TC FB has a Space mode that's really nice.. the Timebender 2 needs something like that.

MIDI input and output. People want this. I don't use it. But eh.

I understand this might be a little out there and perhaps impossible to pull off, but DAMN it'd be awesome.

I'm a massive fan of the Timebender and honestly believe it's the best and most flexible delay pedal out there - but a new one, with those features I just listed would totally destroy every other digital delay pedal there is, in every way.

What do people think? Stupid?

I feel like no matter how good it sounded you would never convince people (TGP people of course) to use digital overdrive. It's like fruit flavored candy, sure it can be delicious, but it doesn't have the natural complex flavor of real fruit.

olejason

The digital overdrive would be easy enough to do. It really is just dependent on the strength of your algorithms. A big company like IK Multimedia or Line 6 would be the best choice for something like that because you're talking about a pretty serious software design project.

Turi

Bear Detective - yeah good point.

dnvdg - cheers mate!

willatkinson - never seen that before, pretty cool.

olejason - yeah I know it'd be a massive task haha.. in my head, you could totally mod/make your own pedal from scratch, even say, you make/have a SD-1 copy, well if you want you can clip C6 to open the sound up a bit.
It's a total dream, but eh, I think it'd rock >_<

8len8 - I googled Shark Tank and just got either actual shark tanks or some ABC show.

olejason

olejason - yeah I know it'd be a massive task haha.. in my head, you could totally mod/make your own pedal from scratch, even say, you make/have a SD-1 copy, well if you want you can clip C6 to open the sound up a bit.
It's a total dream, but eh, I think it'd rock >_<
Yep that would be sweet. This sort of exists in VST already but, to my knowledge, hasn't been implemented in the way you're proposing. Changing input caps really just alters the LPF (usually). Changing transistor values can alter gain.

You could probably take an existing open source VST overdrive and build a new interface for it. That would be a good start.

Trending Topics