Two really quick guitar questions...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ♫♪♫, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

In high humidity, should a properly set up guitar neck have a back bow or a forward bow? The reason I am asking is I went to a local guitar shop and a couple ibanez and schecters I tried had some forward bow in the neck, but the sales guy said its just the high humidity (crazy rain in the past week or so).

Also, does a shorter scale length make a guitar easier to play in general? A lot of the schecters I looked at have like 25" scale, and that's pretty long I would say. I also heard that the reason for the long scale is they are good for downtuning, but the problem is, I don't do any downtuning at all. So, would a longer scale length be bad for me?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. mike80

mike80 Member

I've never had any problems with backbow in any of my guitars in high humidity. I think those guitars aren't set up properly.

Scale length doesn't matter as far as playability IMO. Some think that it does, but I have yet to see a difference. Yes, longer scales can be tuned down lower without the strings being floppy.

A 25.5" scale is pretty common (probably the most common), and it's the same scale length as a Strat if I remember correctly. 24.75" is the common Gibson scale.

*edit* - In a store, the humidity shouldn't really matter, since they have controlled temperatures and humidity in there. I think someone is trying to BS you.

3. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

I thought a strat was 25.5"?

could be wrong, but yeah.

And I read that a lot of PRS guitars have the 25" scale, so that has to be good.

The thing with humidity, where I live it can go from very dry to very humid in a short period of time so yeah.

4. mike80

mike80 Member

Yeah, a lot of PRSs have the 25" scale. Strats are 25.5", and most other types of guitars are 25.5". The Ibanezes and Schecters you were checking out probably had the 25.5" scale. That's what Schecter's website says most of theirs are.

They have a few in the shorter "Gibson" 24.75" scale.

5. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

Generally speaking, there is a small difference. Les Pauls at 24.75, many PRS's at 25, and most Fender strats at 25.5

when I got my first PRS, I found it very easy to adjust. I did have a harder time between a strat and an LP, but the 25 scale was nice.

I would not expect to ever see a backbow, especially sue to humidity. If anything, a front bow. But even then, it should not be terribly pronounced. Around this time of year, I sometimes have to give some of the necks a quater turn on the truss rod, but nothing major.

6. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

Yes, backbow will definitly be caused by humidity, but rarely in an electric guitar. This is most common on classical and steelstring guitars but I don't think I've seen it in an electric. The humidity really affects thwe soundbox on an acoustic guitar but almost nothing on an electric.

As for scale length, it depends what you're playing as to whether it will make a big difference. If you're just playing bar chords or easy strumming stuff, then maybe not. On a classical guitar where you make all kinds of weird stretches, then yes, scale length makes a HUGE difference. If you doubt, play a 664mm Ramirez and then play a 650 mm Hauser, it's like night and day.