Two-rock 12-65s... Anyone got some?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JubileeMan 2555, Dec 20, 2005.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Hey there,

Complete stab in the dark here. But I'm looking to swap out the G12H30 speakers in my Two Rock cab with the higher wattage TwoRock 12-65s... My band plays VERY VERY loud, and a 50watt two rock into a 60watt cab is kinda dangerous in my eyes... and cone cry is my most HATED sound! ;)

Also, does anyone have any experiences with these versus Tonespotters?

Thanks...

2. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

I have experience with all the mentioned speakers and own each of them. The Emi Patriot Red, White and Blues are the same as the TR 12-65 and are probably the best match with TR amps. They are unflappable, don't color your amps tone and do not cone cry. The Tonespotter colors your tone with shades of Celestions and sound very good if you are looking for that tone. However they are prone to cone cry at higher volumes, especially in a 1x12 and much less in a 2x12. At the moment, I have settled in with a Fane 12axa Alnico in my Sig CR 1x12 combo and the Tonespotter in a 1x12 semi open cab. You can't go wrong with the TR12-65/R,W & B speaker it is a bit smoother than the TS and doesn't have the Celestion sound. The Fane is also a good choice. It is not as smooth sounding as the TR12-65 and has not cone cried. It has a fiberglass reinforced cone and can handle 100 watts. The TS has a thinner paper cone than the TR12-65 or Fane and it is brighter than both. Normal Celestions, i.e. G12H30, V30's, etc., tend to get ice picky sounding and cry with TR amps. Hope this helps!

3. Mike

Mike Member

I agree with all that, although I have not used RW,&B's. I have TR 65's in stock, and they are my current favs, over the Tonespotters, for the reasons mentioned. H30's were my favs for 2x12 apps for almost 3 years. I like the 65's better now.

Mike

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've got a TR 12-65 and I love it. No cone cry either & that's one of the reasons I got rid of all my 30W speakers and replaced them with higher wattage speakers. I've also got the Fane alnico AXA12 (2 actually) and it's also an excellent speaker with no cone cry. It works really well with the TR 12-65 too. The 12-65 has very nice cleans and is very sweet with OD.

5. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

my TR 12-65 2x12 damn near sounds as huge as my Bogner OS 2x12 partial open back...and sounds better in the highs since there is no v30 high end nastiness.

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Really? So the Red, White and blues are the same as the 12-65s? The specs are a bit different. but they are much cheaper than finding 12-65s at $120+and it would be good to save some money after spending so much on a two rock...

Thanks everyone for their replies!!

7. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

hmm, i've been having cone cry issues with my fane alnicos (2x12) and two rocks (opal, em. pro, custom). i've been thinking of swapping them out but haven't gotten the chance. but the above posters seem to think the fanes are good at resolving cone cry issues. hmmm... not to hijack the thread, but has anyone else had cone cry issues with fanes and have suggestions? (feel free to PM me if it's too off-topic). thanks!

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Under what conditions do you get cone cry with the Fanes? ie: neck/bridge pickup, OD or not, etc. I'm surprised it's happening.

I'm using a Kingsely Deluxe 32 (4xEL84s - 30W). I was getting regular, reproducable cone cry when using 30W - 50W speakers, especially using just one - it was less when using 2-12s. Now with the Fane AXA12s (2 of them) and TR 12-65, I haven't gotten it once. It would always happen when using OD (pedal or amp) and the neck pickup, on the high B & E strings, from the 10th fret up, especially above the 12th fret.

9. dave_fisher

dave_fisher Silver Supporting Member

Where does the Emi Wizard fit with those speakers? That's what Andy Fuchs seems to be shipping with his new amps. I bought a Weber reconed Celestion G1265 from Reinhardt amps and put it in my ODS 30 combo - sounds great to my ears! Now I'm looking for the right speaker to go in my TR 1x12 cab that matches my Topaz head... I've tried and don't like the V30, 50 watt alnico Weber Silver Bell, still listening to an old alnico "coffee can" SRO.Does Eminence talk about the customer labeled speakers they make compared to their standard product line? If so, what might the Fuchs FAT compare to, the TR1265 (is it really a Red White and Blue with their label??), others?? Thanks! This thread is very timely for me...

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I had a Wizard and it had terrible cone cry all over the place. I contacted Eminence support and returned it to them. They replaced it, and the new one was just as bad, so I got a refund. There was a big thread about it here, and many others reported that they had the same problems. It sounded great otherwise, but I couldn't use it. To be fair, lots of people have had no problems with it.

I also had a Fuchs FAT 1-S and it was very nice - balanced and smooth and no cone cry issues. It would be good for a Fuchs or Two Rock, IMHO. I've tried a number of new Eminence speakers, but none that came close to the FAT 1-S, including the Tonker & Private Jack.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think the TR 12-65 is just a relabeled RW&B. I got the impression it was a special design for the Two Rock guys. I'm sure others here know more about it. It's a fantastic speaker and would sound great with your Fuchs or a Two Rock amp, obviously.

11. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

i almost always use a neck/middle pickup setting, the cry is worst around the 8th fret of the B string +/- a few frets, and repeats an octave above that. if i'm playing relatively quietly, it won't really cry. but when i turn up or use certain effects, it does. the worst effect i've found is envelope filters (particularly, the mutron, but same to a lesser extent with brands), but a loud clean boost will really set it off as well. turning the amp itself up will also have the same effect.

apart from those areas on the fretboard, the fanes sound great. but that raspy upper-octave cry kind of detracts from fully enjoying the two-rocks.

12. Mike

Mike Member

Hi Folks,

I wonder where the information orig. came from that says that the RW&B and the TR65 are the same speaker?? I'd like to know who started that one. Joe assures me that they are not.

Anyone looking for street pricing can email me. We're shipping a bunch today as a result of this thread. It's wierd, but I can't find anything "wrong" with this speaker, if you know what I mean. In my experience, it's more balanced and lively than a Tonker, less cone cry than a Tonespotter. More power handling than a G12-H30. More balanced than orig. 65's that I had and sold to Joe.

I had a Wizard here and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. The guy who got it from me is a Gear Pager who is now looking to get a 65. Maybe he'll chime in on his Wizard experience.

Mike

13. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I would contact Fane and get them replaced under warranty. I can hammer mine and they take it with effortless grace.

14. glasman

glasman Guest

I have went through 6 of the Wizards and they all had the same type of problem. Usually up around the 11 to 15 frets on the high E string. The problem even showed up on a 20 watt amp. I redoped a couple of the speakers and that helped a little.

I really did love the tone of the Wizards, just not the cry.

Nice to hear about the R,W and Blues. I will have to order a couple to try.

Gary

15. hipfan

hipfan Member

Can anyone assess the sensitivity of the TR65, i.e. is it a LOUD speaker? :)

I ask because the tonal descriptions here on this thread make it sound like a good'un to try, but I've found that I'm a big fan of not-so-sensitive speakers like Weber AlNiCo Blue Dogs. Helps me push my amp a little more, which is nice.

ToneGurus - Thanks for getting back to me so quickly on the e-mail, btw. If I place an order, it will likely be after the holidays.

16. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'd say it is in the middle - not too LOUD, but not laid back either - just right.

17. Mike

Mike Member

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the inquiries. Please note that for all quotes that we sent out or speakers that we sold, those prices are good until Dec. 31st.

For any new inquiries (as of now), or speakers that are purchased after 2005 the quotes/prices will be $15/ea more than what we've been quoting.

You guys that jumped early got a smoking deal!

Mike

P.S. - We can discount the speakers to the prices we've been quoting if you want to wrap a couple of them in a Sig. Cab!

18. gec78221

gec78221 Supporting Member

Anybody know the spl?