Two Rock Amethyst??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BrentSP, Oct 18, 2005.

1. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

I've been offered a trade for my Bruno Leadman. Tell me about it and is this a even trade?

2. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

It's a 100 watt version of the emerald 50, which is the predecessor of the emerald pro. so it's going to be a two-channel, dumbly kind of amp.

(EDIT: sorry, i always get the amythest and sapphire backwards. see rick owen's post below...)

pricewise, it's probably a fair trade, as the older two-rocks have been dropping a lot lately.

tonewise, i can't say, since i haven't tried this model. but every other two-rock i've tried has been great.

3. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Thanks. Do you know if I'd be able to sell it very quickly if I decided it wasn't for me?

4. Rick0

Rick0 Member

The Sapphire was the 100 watt version of the Emerald 50. These two were the original production amps. The Amethyst came out a little later and is a 50 watt amplifier with a few more tweaks, (sort of in-between the Emerald 50 and the Emerald Pro). I have played one and it is a killer amp! My first Two-Rock was the Amethyst Special, (still have it). I've never had the chance to try the Bruno Lead Man, but would guess that it's pretty special as well. Hard call, but it's definitely a fair trade IMO.

RickO

5. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I played one for a few hours once. It has the switchable 6v6 gain option or something.

Anyway, I was not really impressed. If you got a good clean sound, you could not get a good lead sound without readjusting the amp. Fine for home use, but not useful to me as a gigging amp to footswitch between sounds. The tech was not crazy about the build quality either (this is an early 2-rock).

Plus, I did not think the amp sounded like me. My old Demeter TGA-3 sounded MUCH better IMO. If it were me, no to the trade.

6. Rick0

Rick0 Member

The Amethyst has two 6L6's. The amp with the two 6L6/one 6V6 is the Amethyst Special.

7. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

This guy called his a Amethyst signature series. :confused:

8. Rick0

Rick0 Member

originally posted by BrentSP
    This guy called his a Amethyst signature series.

The amp that I have played was an Amethyst Signature Series, (it may very well be the same amp that you are talking about). The head has a Dynamo label, "Amethyst Signature Series", on the faceplate. Great amplifier! There are only a couple/few out there. They are rare. If I remember correctly, they were made in '99.

RickO

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    That's a very fair trade...That's an amazing amp...The Two Rocks are incredible!! If you can't get a great lead tone with a 2 Rock, you either have a bad 12AX7, are setting it up wrong, or can't get a good sound out of any guitar amp anyway..

10. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I did not like it at all either. The amp was VERY closed sounding compared to later TwoRocks. (E.Pro and on) I played it right next to the Fuchs modded Bandmaster that I now own, (They were both for sale at GC) and bought the Fuchs. The Fuchs killed it in cleans and overdrive. It is TOTALLY different than the Leadman which is a single channel high gain tone machine.

11. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

To be honest with you guys I probably wouldn't keep this Two Rock anyways. I'm looking at it as "can I sell it faster than the Bruno". I'm really having a hard time selling the Bruno so far. Its up on ebay right now with a beginning bid at 1800 and buy it now for 1995 free shipping. No bids yet.

12. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

if you don't end up liking it, the used two-rocks still sell pretty fast for the right price, so the market is out there. but pricewise, i would guess it would be difficult to get around $2000 for it - maybe more like 1800 is doable. any second opinions?

13. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Zombie thread of the year!