Two-Rock and ambience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LoganKade, Feb 6, 2012.

1. LoganKade

LoganKade Member

Okay, so the two-rock bug has kind of hit me and I'm thinking of going for the studio pro 35. I really love the clean tones and am a huge bluesy fan. However, how do you guys think it does with delay/reverb/ambient kind of stuff? there aren't many videos on YouTube of two-rocks that are very pedal heavy, so I'm just curious, because I do play at church from time to time and would like a good pedal platform out of it as well. Basically just want to get my money's worth!! Thanks so much!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Any clean amp should work well for pedals. Two Rocks do GREAT cleans!

3. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Mayer hits it with a Adennalinn for Heartbreak Warfare, sounds pretty nice to me.

4. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

TR will work well for ambient tones. Really great using it in some type of stereo or wet/dry set up. I had a TR custom reverb Sig. The amp sounded great on it's own and didn't need a lot of FX but it took pedals/delays well.
    Here's a clip of my current D style Bludotone amp auditioning some presets from an eventide eclipse. The Bludo has a similar clean tone to the TR.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/peterdjp/eventide-eclipse-sounds[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  5. 64 burst

64 burst Member

I can't say specifically about the Studio Pro, but both of my Two Rocks have reverb and effects loops. My TR Emerald 50 has an excellent effects loop where I run my delay and chorus pedals. My Jet 35 also has a loop, though I don't think it's buffered and it doesn't have a level knob for the loop like the Em 50 does. I'm sure you will be able to dial in a nice ambient tone using delay with the SP.

6. southpaw66

southpaw66 Member

I have a two rock studio 35 and i can't see you having any problems. The cleans are immense, the effects loop works well and the eq is very flexible. Very low noise levels too.

7. sagegreer

sagegreer Member

I'm a P&W player as well and use a Classic type 2 every Sunday. I set it up as a big clean platform and let my pedals do the rest. It works wonderfully that that delay heavy, Hendroff tone. I'm using a TimeLine and HoF reverb for my ambiance and the amp just eats em up (also very nice in the loop if you go that route). I'm guessing its because of the price tag, but if more church player knew how well two-rock did "that" tone then they would be all over them.

8. bohemianbrian

bohemianbrian Member

matter of taste. fender, two rock, and vox circuits all have "great cleans" but after owning one of each, they are very different. I have a SP22 and while it is the hands-down go-to amp fo myr bluesy/rnb fix, I don't use it on my ambient stuff because I like the vox voice for that stuff better. the vox cleans have a harmonic way about them that really sound amazing with a saturated reverb behind it. not that the sp22 is bad for post-rock stuff, my sp22 sounds very good behind my ambient settings. If I had a choice I'd always pick the chorus-y harmonics on my vox-style amps for saturated reverb/volume swell/filtered delays.

Fender amps are similar to the studio pro though I the studio pro have more of a mid hump that gives them that characteristic mayer chewyness. crank up the mids on a sp and you'll hear it. a lot of old fenders are being used in some big name bands for the ambient thing. I'd suggest you a bf/sf vibrolux for that coin and i think it'll fit your needs better if you want a versatile blues/ambient rig.

Might I also suggest in that price range, the Morgan RCA35? fendery snappiness but with a vox tone to my ears.