Two Rock Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Sep 18, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone know the difference between the regular loaded Two-Rock cab and the loaded Two-Rock Signature cab?

2. fenderbender4

3. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

There's no difference. A Two-Rock cab is a Two-Rock Cab, the heads are different. There's an upcharge for custom colors or coverings, but the guts are the same. Joe Mloganoski from Two-Rock is on TGP, he'll correct me if I'm talking smack here.

I have a Two-Rock Custom Reverb Sig and 2x12 cab, all in blonde/oxblood. Bought both brand new, I helped unbox them. The cab was blonde right from Two-Rock, the head was originally black, and swapped out for a blonde head cab at the shop at my request, same chassis.

The 2x12 came equipped with a K&M 12-65 in the top slot, and an Eminence Redcoat in the bottom slot, direct from Two-Rock. Nothing against the Redcoat, but I wanted K&M 12-65s in both slots, so I had the Redcoat swapped out at the shop.

I like the 12-65s a lot, and the Two-Rock 2x12 cab is extremely well-crafted. It's also light, relative to the volumes it can handle. It has a ported back, gives a real nice mix of highs and lows, and handles the punchiness of the Two-Rock Custom Reverb well. The 1x12 Two-Rock cab is NO SLOUCH AT ALL, I made my buying decision based on playing for about 2 hours through the 1x12 the shop had set up. The 2x12 was just gravy. Not much bigger than the 1x12.

Here's a gratuitous picture of my setup, a bunch of blondes sunning on the back deck. Life is good. :BEER

[​IMG]

4. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

I will give my .02 - The only difference that I see in the new (Sig) cabs are cosmetics & cost. I am also a very happy owner of a CR Sig #69 and have a TR 2x12, along with a custom made 1x12 designed like the TR and a TR combo cab.

"JustAHack" if you like the TR12-65's you will love the Scumback 75-HP. I have tried just about every speaker with my TR. I am completely blown away by the Scumbacks. I like the TR12-65's as well, but the 75-HP is the missing link for me. A little birdy has told me that the good men at Two Rock are currently putting some Scumbacks through the paces.

I have been using my Sig for the longest time with a 1x12 or the 1x12 combo cab. When I acquired the TR 2x12 it opened the amp up and it was a huge improvement. I beleive Joe & Bill have said in the past that the best match for their amps is the 2x12. As usual they are RIGHT!

By the way, JustAHack, your blonde is a gold digger!
    :AOK

5. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Supporting Member

Actually, the sig TR cab looks different than the regular one (more than just color differences, it has a slightly different construction as well). If I remember correctly the sides are thicker... hmm, if only I could find the pictures that someone posted a while back...

6. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

That's true, but I would venture to say that the interior design and the port on the back panel are nearly the same.

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have been using a Scumback 75-8HP with K&M Custom#22 for about 10 months on the gig-it is a better loudspeaker than the K&M offering by a quantum leap...it sounds nuts-on vintage pre-Rola...

BobMarty likes this.
  8. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

:dude Then the Scumback must be awesome. Nice to hear from another Two-Rocker.

Funny thing - when I test-drove the CR Sig, I only used a Strat, for hours, no Gibsons. To this day, I've never heard another amp that sounds as good with a Strat plugged straight in, even for a hack like me. The saturated, fat, louder clean tones bring tears to my eyes. I can't hide behind it, but when I occasionally actually get it right, it just gives and gives.

When I got the CR home, it took me a long time to dial in a decent humbucker tone I could relate to, it was frustrating. I was used to a more Marshall-type tone (dark, juicy, bouncy, compressed), and it took awhile to adjust. The strong openness, midrange and presence threw me, every flaw in my playing seemed accentuated. At first.

I'm not gonna sell my plexi-clone anytime soon, but the CR has now become the voice in my head of how I "hear" humbucker and P-90 guitars. Ripping and aggressive, woody, in-your-face. With Strats I like the cleans on the CR, but with humbuckers, really digging in seems to be the natural direction for me on the CR. I still prefer the Marshall-type cleans for humbuckers, though. No amp does it all, but the CR Sig does a lot.

9. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

HUGE difference in the sig cab and standard cab. The difference in both tone and construction is huge. The sig cab is way better sounding and worth the extra $$$. Big improvement. I have one loaded with TR65s and another with EVs and both these sound real good. Had plenty of the standard TR 2X12s and although good not even close to the sig cabs in tone and built quality.

10. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

Hey Steve - If you don't mind, could you explain the difference in construction? I have not seen the Sig cabs except in pictures. But the interior and oval rear port opening sure look to be very close to the standard TR 2x12. Thanks for your input! By the way, try the Scumbacks you won't be sorry!
    :)

11. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

I think they may have switched all cabs over to the same guy that was just doing the sig cabs. The sig cabs are made of thicker wood in places. Specs are slightly different. Ask TR for specifics. Tonally, bigger and Tighter sounding. A much better sounding cab IMHO.

12. fenderbender4

Yeah, I emailed Joe. Great Customer Service. Anyway, here it is:

"The Signature 2-12 is taller, is braced differently, and each panel is tuned
    individually. The cabinet once assembled is again stressed or relaxed to
    tune it to the proper resonance. The result is a more balanced cab with
    great projection and a bigger soundstage."

13. fenderbender4

BTW Which Scumback are you using? I see two H75's on the site. One is just the H75 the other has a "-LHDC" on it. I suppose you got the 65 watt ones? Also, which Ohm rating should I get for a sig cab?

14. scottl

scottl Member

I have 2 of the LDHC version in a 2X12 box. Sounds great. I also have an H75 for my 1X12 but it got damaged in shipping. Mike at Tonegurus swears by it.

I had a Two Rock Sig cab, vertical 2X12. I agree on the resonance thing. Very impressive box and different than the standard box. However, the handle was mounted up top instead of on the long side so carrying it is impossible. Therefore, I have loaned it to Bob Stirner with an option to buy. Had the cab had a handle on the side, I would have kept it. I did not feel like mucking with mods on it.

Scott

15. fenderbender4

So if I want to get an even sound from the speakers I should opt for the non-LHDC? Thanks.

16. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I recently got a Custom Reverb and a TR 2x12 open back cab that came with Tonespotters. I like the cabinet, but I have found that I like a pair of Celestion Neo Centuries in a ZBest cab better with the the CR. I also have a pair of Eminence Red, White and Blues that I tried in several cabinets and my favorite (right now) is the Neo Century Celestions. I will have to try the Neo's in the TR open back cabinet.

17. Tomo

Tomo Member

Neo's in TR cab is John Mayer's favorite.

Tomo

18. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Hi Tomo-

I saw in that other thread that JM sent you one of his sig models, you know those pickups are some of the best strat pickups out of any I have tried (of many).

I had no idea about that with the Neo's and JM but I can understand why, because they really bring a lot more out of the amp. It was very noticeable when I compared with the Tonespotters, RWB's, G12H30, V30, etc

I guess I have to pull them out of the ZBest tonight and try the Neo's in the TR cab.

19. GM1

GM1 Member

Steve

Is Two Rock offering a 1x12 Signature Cab?

20. GM1

GM1 Member

My favorite cab is my Two Rock 1x12 with a Jenson Neo.