Two-Rock Cabs (2x12) vs generic 2x12 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joost Assink, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

I just ordered a Two-Rock Custom Reverb Signature V2 50W and am looking for a good 2x12 cab. I hear that the two-rock cabs are designed and voiced for the Two-Rock amps. How do you think they stack up to a generic cab?

2. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Unless shipping costs/issues make it not worth it I'd get the TR cab. Their speakers are voiced for their amp and they are built nice. People will debate if the Sig is worth the upcharge over the "regular" 2x12. The regular 1x12 & 2x12's I had were very nice.

3. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

Get the sig cab. I have a CRsig and the tr cab sounds better than a few others i tried. Speakers can be a bit spikey at first but once they break in it's smooth city.

4. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

But reading on tgp has taught me their tr speakers are just relabeled Eminence Rw&b speakers.

How would you describe the difference between regular and signature cabs?

5. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

No One?
    Can't find much from searching

I hear Austin Speaker Works KTS-70s are a popular choice for Two-Rocks

6. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

I have had numerous TR cabs & speaker combinations. I didn't want to believe that there would be a difference between the standard and the Sig cabs - but there is. I would suggest getting the Sig cab in either 1x12 or 2x12 or both. I would be patient and wait for used cabs to appear on TGP. I love TR gear, but you take a huge hit on resale valves when you buy new.

Speaker choices are the KTS70, EVM 12L, Celestion 1265 & Gold, Scumback H75, IMHO. I have a Sinewave 2x12 with a KTS70 on top and a EVM12L on the bottom which is a thiele ported. This is by far the best combination I have found with my TR. My fav in the 1x12 has been the KTS70, but I recently put a Gold in the cab. The Gold seems to do a better job with clean and mild OD tones. The KTS70 holds together much better for higher gain tones. I also have a Marshall 2061cx 2x12 with a Scumback H75 & a KTS60. It absolutely kills for Marshall tones and the thump factor.

In short you probably won't be satisfied until you get a TR Sig cab and you may need to experiment with speaker choices until you find your niche. TR's are very particular to speakers. Always buy used for everything if you can wait.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I used my TR Onyxes with the TR standard cab and speakers, and several other cabs also. I'm currently running a CR Sig with a non TR cab and it's great, though I'd love to try it with a TR cab. Anyway, I'd say the answer depends on your taste!

First, it's my understanding that the TR speakers are versions of the Eminence, but not identical in every way. I could be wrong, but there are two versions of the TR speaker also.

The TR cab is a great all-purpose cab, built very nicely, with its own kind of sound. While it matches up extremely well with their amps for a certain type of sound (I'd call it smooth), other cabs do, too, when you want different sounds.

The best sound I ever got from my Onyx was with a 1968 Marshall 4x12, with vintage Greenbacks, so go figure. It was incredible. But I'm more of a rock guy than a blues or jazz guy, so maybe that's why I'm saying a lot of this depends on personal preference.

I also LOVED the Onyx with a closed back oversize Bogner 212 loaded with their standard Celestion V-30s, but it was very, very bright in the room. However, it was incredible for recording, and worked extremely well miked with a 57. So again, horses for courses. I love big, bright cutting guitar tones in a mix.

Right now I'm running my Custom Reverb Sig 2 into a Mesa oversized 112 with a Black Shadow 90, simply because that's what sitting there. And it sounds great, too, much better in the room than the cab with the V-30s, because it's darker and less spiky, but not as good as the Onyx sounded with the TR cab (I don't have the TR cab any more, shouldn't have sold it).

I guess my point is that you can get a LOT of versatility out of a TR depending on speakers and cabs, and while you may LOVE the TR cab with the amp, the amp is also very useful with other cabs and speakers.

8. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I had a Sig 2x12. The TR cab is a copy of a Dumble ported, open back, cab. The speakers are probably voiced for their amp. The other builders have the same thing... the Pure 64 cabs are ported Dumble type cabs and less expensive (I believe). In part, you may be paying for the name with the TR cab. Just my view/opinion.

Either way, If you pick a speaker that is flexible in its response, it could work well with many amps and applications.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  9. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

I've read that many times: get the sig cab.... Hmmm

10. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I have a TR 2X12 sig cab loaded with reconed vintage Jensen P12Ns and it is perfect for my TR Type 3 and my Custom Clean. I also used to run my Carol Ann OD2 through it (with a ASW KTS-70) and it seemed a perfect fit. I think any Dumble type amp will sound good through it.

I'd really like to try the 4X10 that TR is now selling.

11. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

I have just ordered a kts-70
    seems I can try out the sig cabs. The dealer only had standards