Two Rock Classic Reverb and Komet Connie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dankayaker, Oct 6, 2008.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Had the chance to play my Classic Reverb in the same room as a friends Komet Constellation this past weekend. On the surface they are very different amps (Komet has 3 knobs - TR has a ton plus switches all over the place).
    I came away absolutely in love with both amps.

We ran my TR into the matching 1x12 TR cab and the Connie into my D13 2x12 (Blue/G12H). We had no volume restrictions either. No pedals, just my Tyler and my buddies new Suhr Strat.

here are some of my impressions:

The Komet is a very loud amp with the best gain channel I've ever played . . it is pure harmonically saturated rock and roll. The clean channel was equally rich and harmonically happening. If the amp only had one of these channels I'd say it was a top contender. The Hi-Cut knob really tamed the high end that could be pretty apparent on this amp. I found that rolling it up to 3/4 cut was perfect. The cool thing is my friend has graciously left the Connie with me while he's away . . . . fun ! I think the purity of this amp is something that should be highly prized.

The Classic Reverb: For an amp I assumed was aimed mostly at clean-light gain, this amp floored me with the hughness of it's gain . . . there is alot there. We were able to dial both amps to sound very similar which surprised me . . . .the TR had a bigger fundamental round tone whereas the Connie had more harmonic stuff happeneing in the higher end. The TR has the best verb I've heard in a tube amp and cleans that have a girth and feel that makes me want to solo . . . .ALOT !

As I play them I'll post more , but holy smokes . . .both amps are freakin wonderful.

Maybe Rick (Komet owner) will chime in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. dankayaker

picture added for the visually oriented.

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

A few years ago Procos brought his Constellation over when I had an earlier incarnation of the Onyx. Though it was a completely different kind of beast than my Onyx, I was impressed with it.

I just started the process of working with the latest Custom Reverb model, but I'm not far enough into the process to post a "review" yet. Gotta play with it for a few weeks, break it in a little, record with it, etc. So far so good, though.

4. dankayaker

The latest Custom reverb ? I was thinking that amp became the CR Sigs.
    Anyways . . . .I never tried an Onyx but would love to someday.

5. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

Glad you're enjoying the Connie, Dan. It was fun having a mini tonefest. Two excellent amps without a doubt. The TR cleans were very nice in a Fendery sort of way as opposed to the Connie's chimey, Voxy vibe. Guess that's to be expected with the TR's 6L6's and the Connie's EL84's.

Both have a smooth breakup in the overdrive with the Connie seeming to be a bit rawer. Probably due to the fact that the TR has a master volume. The gain boost on the TR surprisingly almost takes it into high gain territory.

Definitely richer harmonic content in the Connie. Gotta give the TR the edge in versatility with all its switches, tone controls and master volume.

But for pure tone I prefer the Connie. There is something very visceral and tactile in the feel when playing the Connie. The response to the guitar's volume and tone controls is amazing. Lots of subtle tone and gain shifts available. The TR has that touch response too, just not in spades like the Connie. Maybe if I had more time with the TR I would change my opinion.

All in all, two excellent amps as I previously stated. Just different flavors for the discerning palate...

6. dankayaker

HI Rick . . .I agree with everthing you said . . . I'd just add again that I thhink the TR has the bigger sounding fundamental tone. I really would like to try the Constellation with a cab loaded with inefficient speakers to tame the volume. Anyways . . I'm taking good care of her . . . .see you soon.

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

FLAME SUIT ON!!!!

O.K. . .You could also try a Dr. Z AirBrake to tame the Connie. . .but just notch it one or two notches. . .I won't affect the tone that way and it should bring the volume down to a little less than ear bleed.

(I use one with my Germino Club 40 and it tames the top end. My personal experience is any more than two clicks and it starts to change the tone of the amp)

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean by fundamental tone. But I owned a Constellation for a long time, and I've played the Classic Reverb. The Constellation has one the biggest, baddest rock tones ever. While I was pleasantly surprised by the CR gain tones, there's no contest when comparing them. For me, anyway. If your tastes lean to smoother, refined rock tones, the CR would work better.

I think Two Rock should make the CR in a 4x10 combo!!!

9. dankayaker

I meant that the TR single notes just sound bigger to me . .there is not as much harmonic stuff happening, but the notes seem bigger and rounder. I'm not just talking gain either . . . clean and dirty. Now, if I was looking for straight Rock and Roll . . . .the Constellation is the best I've experienced . . . no questions . . . . but the TR was able to be dialed in very close, plus the TR is way quieter and easier to control in lower volume situations.
    I agree with Rick's comment about the feel of the Constellation . . .just feels great . . fingers and strings . . . absolutely sweet. I'm a huge fan of both these amps.