Two Rock Classic Reverb Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tonequest, Jan 15, 2008.

1. tonequest

tonequest Member

Ok I've had a few days to spend with this amp, so I wanted to share my experiences. I agree with everyone who has said the cleans are phenominal! Glassy, fat, and rich. The reverb is as impressive as well. Probably the best reverb i've heard in an amp. I was torn on trying this out, because it is only a one channel amp. And I really have never been into pedals for overdrive, I always like getting that from the amp. The other 2rock I wanted to try was the Classic III, but there is no verb on that..and i am a total reverb whore. What I've found is there is a fair amount of drive/gain available when engaging the FET and the bypass. I am able to get some killer low/medium gain blusey tones outta this thing!
    IMO you do need to get a little volume going to have that sweet drive tone. Not a bedroom amp. (for the drive tones anyway) I can't wait to open this up at my next gig!

The feel of the amp is terrific as well. It feels bouncy to me if that makes sense.

IMO also the bluesy drive tones I get are similar to the lower gain tones I dial in with my custom reverb sig...it's different, but that sweet 2rock/dumbly lower gain tone is there IMO.
    I may be selling my custom reverb sig to an old bandmate, and I still am dying to try the type III. I was lucky enough to pick this up from a fellow gearpage member, and I think it's gonna be my #1 for a while.
    I'm kinda scared to try the type III, cause I think I'd have to find a way to keep both:eek:

Big thanks to Joe and Bill for providing such killer amps and killer customer service to me over the years. I have bought several 2rocks over the years, both new and used, and these guys are top notch!

2. johnzias

johnzias Member

I have had this amp for a little over 3 months. It took me about twenty gigs and a pair of 60's D120F's to dial it in right, but now I think this is the most humanizing amp I have ever had. That's all I've ever tried to find in an amp and this has it in spades! The best gear is the gear that makes you feel like there's no device between yourself and what your trying to express in the music.

3. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Sure do love mine, great amp with amazing verb and lots of killer tones.

4. pharmx

pharmx Member

Thanks for the review! I'm facing a similar problem in deciding between a Classic Reverb and a Classic Type 3. Going to try and make it out to Cliff's when I get some free time to try them both out side by side. Post some clips if you can! :)

5. albuht813

albuht813 Member

I just got this yesterday night and I also have to say this amp is just fantastic! The cleans are so full and the FET does away with boost pedals.

I have a question for you guys though...for the tone bypass, how are you guys using it? I find that I really like the gain up at 2-3 o'clock so when I engage the bypass, but it is just too loud. I know I've only been messing with it for 3 hours, but please shed some wisdom on this amp. Thanks!!

6. mprvise

mprvise Member

Thanks for the review tonequest. BTW - Dug some of the clips on your site. :BEER

7. tonequest

tonequest Member

With the tone bypass, you will have less of a jump in volume if you have the amp on EQ2 to start. I am still figuring out the perfect settings to have minimal volume jumps from clean to FET to Bypass...but 1st thing is to have it on EQ2.
    Hope this helps. Let me know your results.

8. 8ch

8ch Member

I have had mine for a few months and concur. I have 4 good amps here but the Classic Reverb is the one that I can't stop playing.

As for the tone bypass volume jump, it will be minimized, of course, if all your tone settings are dimed. It is most apparent with the treble control to me. I tend to have my treble way up to reduce the degree volume boost by the tone bypass switch. I can then "contour" the treble down or manage my guitar tone. Doing this allows the bypass to add to the richness without as dramatic a kick in volume.

Any question of the nature can be answered by Cliff Cultreri. He is a tone aficionado, knows this amp particularly well, and is one of the best boutique gear dealers you will find.

H

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I played one today for a while. Very cool amp! :AOK With an Ethos pedal, I bet you could 100% nail a killer Dumble tone with it as well.
    :BEER

10. tonequest

tonequest Member

8CH that's a good tip on the treble. thanks!
    Tag, will the pedal get me the politician tone?;)
    (Mystic mile has my all time fav robben tones too btw)

11. Steve Snider

I have that exact amp. Get yourself a Jetter Gainstage Red and a TC2290 or perhaps another delay set to 116 ms and you shall be very close if not dead on. A zendrive, Ethos or XYZ Dumble pedal may work as well.

12. tonequest

tonequest Member

Steve or anyone else,
    is there an overdrive pedal you would recommend that could go the dumble route, but also get into the eric johnson tone territory?
    thanks!

13. Steve Snider

Get both a Jetter Gain stage red or Zendrive for Dumble type stuff and a Jetter Gain Stage Blue for pure EJ. Or just stack another box in front of the GSR and get close.

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Steve, have you tried the Ethos? No BS, I am sitting here getting 99.9% of my sigs tones with the Ethos plugged into my Pro reverb and Cowtippers. I mean it is insane how great that pedal is.

Ethos has NAILED it!!! ;)

15. jekyll & hyde

jekyll & hyde Member

How are the cleans compared to the cowtipper?

16. albuht813

albuht813 Member

So I've spent the past few days trying to figure out the jump in volume when using the tone bypass. I really wanted to be able to use it b/c it is extremely useful. It gives the sound more mids with some extra gain as well which just fattens up the lead. It also gives sustain that I've never been able to achieve in a pedal. I've used this function in a solo in a band setting and it's just incredible. I fell to the floor as I was playing and could not smiling. And I wasn't amazed b/c of my playing....it was all about the sound this amp was giving!

But anyway, I've figured out what works for me. So I've always preferred EQ1 because of the round, glassy clean. But to overcome the volume jump, I've had to set my low, mid, and highs to around 3-4 o'clock. This left my gain at about 10-11 o'clock and master adjusted to volume needed. The contour is at 2-3 o'clock with my strat. These settings are also in conjunction with the rest of my gear with the Fulltone TTE in the effects loop and an RC booster entering the front input. All of these together have preserved the natural beautiful sounds of the amp. I still have my articulation, my low and high end, glassy, round, and bouncy cleans. Essentially, my cleans sound exactly like J***n M*y*r's clean sound on his records. So boosting the EQ definitely solved my problem.

It's guys like you that make this forum so great!

Thanks!

17. rickman769

rickman769 Member

I'm having a hard time dialing things in with my CR as well. I feel like I like the sound of EQ1 better most of the time, bright up, mid down, deep up, but the amp is so much quieter at that volume. To compete with a drummer and bass player(through a wimpy amp) I'm having to put master and gain around 3 o' clock with my strat. My question is, I guess, is there a way to dial in the amp with a lot more volume but still getting the same overall EQ sound? I dig the EQ2 sound, but it can get a little boomy and heavy in the mids. I feel weird about leaving the FET or a boost pedal on all the time to boost the level as I feel like I'm sacrificing some tone.
    Has anyone else found this to be the case? I know a 50 watt amp should be more than loud enough for 90% of situations.

Also, do you guys run delays in the loop or in front? I normally use the loop, but it seems to cut some highs with the long cables and also seems to increase the reverb level.

Thanks