Two Rock Classic Reverb vs Two Rock Crystal vs Two Rock Mayer Sig

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
definitely, but while tone is debatable, lower noise floor and reverb tank that doesn't hum is not ! That was the main difference why I bought a crystal and sold my CRS. I happen to like the tone better too but as I said, that's debatable.

I have owned almost every model Two Rock and have been able to borrow the models that I have not owned. Only one had a reverb related hum, a Studio Pro, and all of them had a low "noise floor." New amps should. I don't think that TR amps would have the reputation that they have if they produced amps that hummed and were noisy.

Your CRS was noisy and the reverb hummed? I had a CRS v.2 and it was very quiet and the reverb was fantastic.

I think that the Studio Pro is the amp that created a stir about the placement of the reverb in the circuit and problems with humming.

Besides, any good amp builder will tell you that an amp is better without built in reverb. Take it out of the circuit and the tone improves. That's why I'm looking for a Flickinger Spaghetti Western to put in the loop through my ELI. Outboard reverb, not pedals, are where it's at as far as maintaining the tone of the amp IMO.

I could be totally wrong about it though. I'm not mechanically inclined so I'm basing my opinion on personal experience and am going from memory since I've sold all my TR amps except two long ago.

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
Besides, any good amp builder will tell you that an amp is better without built in reverb. Take it out of the circuit and the tone improves. That's why I'm looking for a Flickinger Spaghetti Western to put in the loop through my ELI. Outboard reverb, not pedals, are where it's at as far as maintaining the tone of the amp IMO.

Interesting you mentioned this. One day I turned the reverb all the way off on my Two-Rock single channel amp (forgot if it was my Classic Reverb or Studio Pro) and A/B-ed it with my modded custom Showman and I noticed the pure tone of the Showman was much better. I turned the reverb back on the Two-Rock and then both were awesome again. I never gave it much thought at the time. I also heard Mayer has recently been using a digital outboard reverb instead of the amp's reverb. I wonder what a Two-Rock single channel amp with reverb circuit pulled out would sound like!?

TRGuy

did they implement the reverb differently on the CRS line than the CR line?

because ive never noticed or had any issues with noise on my CR

I think the buzzing problem is with UK/European voltages. Its a big problem with my CRSV3 100w but wasn't with my old 50w. It doesn't happen on my Mayer sig. I haven't got to the bottom of what causes it, and why whatever problem that is doesn't effect most other amps.

I love Two-Rock, the only problem I have with them is that they make so much new models, that when you buy one, it can make you feel outdated after a few models.
Sure, the tone is still there but having a discontinued amp is not really a great feeling.

Naa don't feel that way. The CRSV3 may be discontinued for the Coral but its twice the amp, it has loads of features I love that Coral doesn't have, e.g. Lead and Clean contour controls. As Two-Rock bring production numbers up, prices down etc, the CRSV3 and CR may be the last 2 "great" boutique Two-Rock amps.

Plus, my Mayer sig is discontinued, and its a great feeling owning that :beer

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
I dont see it as a problem if new amps are being released and the older ones faded out.
If an amp can stand on its merit, it will always be worth.
TR amps are all great and will always carry a good value, no matter what model or year.

StevenStrat

I think the buzzing problem is with UK/European voltages. Its a big problem with my CRSV3 100w but wasn't with my old 50w. It doesn't happen on my Mayer sig. I haven't got to the bottom of what causes it, and why whatever problem that is doesn't effect most other amps.

Naa don't feel that way. The CRSV3 may be discontinued for the Coral but its twice the amp, it has loads of features I love that Coral doesn't have, e.g. Lead and Clean contour controls. As Two-Rock bring production numbers up, prices down etc, the CRSV3 and CR may be the last 2 "great" boutique Two-Rock amps.

Plus, my Mayer sig is discontinued, and its a great feeling owning that :beer

yeah the Mayer sig is definitely an exception !

You are located in the UK, does your mayer sig also have a bit of standard noise ?
a slight hum, but not as loud as the CRS..

TRGuy

You are located in the UK, does your mayer sig also have a bit of standard noise ?
a slight hum, but not as loud as the CRS..

Nope, no hum at all, at any volume. Strange. Its DEAD quiet, the amp doesn't even make an internal ambient hum like 99% of other amps. The Road King I had was VERY noisy with its fans and stuff.

A friend just shared this video. Very good player making a Custom Reverb Signature V3 sound incredible.

Last edited:

StevenStrat

Nope, no hum at all, at any volume. Strange. Its DEAD quiet, the amp doesn't even make an internal ambient hum like 99% of other amps. The Road King I had was VERY noisy with its fans and stuff.

A friend just shared this video. Very good player making a Custom Reverb Signature V3 sound incredible.

hmm, that's strange ! I'm also at 230v and still get a bit of standard hum that follows the volume, also the internal ambient hum you speak of. Not that much that it becomes a problem like my CRS though.

what wattage is yours ?

Scott Mckeon is indeed awesome and has made the switch from his vibroverb to the CRS. he sounds great on anything though :)

TRGuy

hmm, that's strange ! I'm also at 230v and still get a bit of standard hum that follows the volume, also the internal ambient hum you speak of. Not that much that it becomes a problem like my CRS though.

what wattage is yours ?

Scott Mckeon is indeed awesome and has made the switch from his vibroverb to the CRS. he sounds great on anything though :)

The Mayer sig is 100w. As Chad said though a fair few components are different as the old ones can't be sourced anymore, which may add to it. There are differences in the circuit anyway, it may be the same basic thing, but the Mayer has the Mid and Deep switches which again differ the circuit (although I always keep them off.)

msoleno

A lot of times you'll get some noise that's associated with the reverb tank because of the proximity to the transformer. The reverb tank in my Crystal combo, for example, is located at the bottom of the cab (away from the transformer dropping the noise floor) and I'm sure this is an engineering call for this reason. The transformer is causing electromagnetic interference and the reverb tank is picking it up and then of course you amplify it. An experiment if you feel you have a noisy reverb unit is to try taking it out of the head and see if the noise floor drops, I bet it will. If it's too much of a problem you can mount your unit in a cab and run lines to it when you hook up your speaker cables, but it's one more thing to hook up at gigs. Food for thought, that's my experience with the reverb tanks.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
If it's too much of a problem you can mount your unit in a cab and run lines to it when you hook up your speaker cables, but it's one more thing to hook up at gigs. Food for thought, that's my experience with the reverb tanks.

Might as well get an outboard reverb unit to use with all of your amps.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
Hey Guys,
My TR crystal amp and TR cab are here, just opened the boxes.
Am going to turn on tonight and hoping for the best.

Tomo

Hey Guys,
My TR crystal amp and TR cab are here, just opened the boxes.
Am going to turn on tonight and hoping for the best.

I would love to check TR Crystal amp and I wish I can compare with my TR Tomo Fujita signature amp (50watts.)

Enjoy yours!

Tomo

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
First chord and it rings with rich harmonically notes and opennes.
Very transparent and crystal clear with very rounded notes.
Has a huge low end, more so than I have seen on other amps.
I am figuring out the knob settings.
Did not receive a manual, what's up with that TR?
Reverb has a Send and Receive knobs. There is a Contour knob that I need to learn.
The Gain has a Bright setting when you pull out.
Other than that, simple EQ, Bass, Treble, Middle and looks straight forward.
Master volume provided.
I am using the TR Creamback, the H or 75.
Think I will get the 65s to complement this cab.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
so, you like?

Oh yeah, I see what you Guys have been saying all along.
I never played a TR before, I just went ahead and ordered one, some folks thought I was nuts, and I am glad it came out in my favor.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
i did the same thing with my first TR - despite all the hype it exceeded my expectations

T92780

Oh yeah, I see what you Guys have been saying all along.
I never played a TR before, I just went ahead and ordered one, some folks thought I was nuts, and I am glad it came out in my favor.

Some people score a hottie on a blind date...congrats on TR amp:banana

Trending Topics

Top Bottom