1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Two-Rock Classic Type 3 anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pharmx, Jan 10, 2008.

1. pharmx

pharmx Member

Can anyone who has one of these describe it in detail compared to the other Two-Rock models? The Classic Reverb is another one I'm interested in. It's tough picking an amp when there are so many choices out there, not to mention so many variables affecting tone.

2. albuht813

albuht813 Member

You should talk to Scott at north coast vintage. (look him up on two rock's dealer page). He's very knowledgeable on Two Rocks.

The type 3 major differences are no reverb, marshally - capable to high gain lead amp switching. The cleans are still really good, but they aren't as 3D or glassy like the classic reverb. The classic reverb is a one channel amp with a fantastic reverb. It's based off of John Mayer's sig so you can bet the cleans are the best you've ever heard. It has the FET stage which acts as a light overdrive and with the tone bypass, can get to medium crunchy Marshall tones.
    I may be wrong, but I believe these amps are NOT for dumble type tones.

I have a classic reverb and 2x12 sig cab along the way as we speak!!!! Scott has great customer service!! definitely give him a call.

3. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

I've got the Type III , and got to say it's one more amp. It's still here and it's here to stay. I''ve usally got em gone in about two weeks if theydon't work for me. I was just getting ready to go to a two amp rig, because I never like both channels of an amp. You get a good clean the dirty side sucks, you get a good gain side the clean sucks. Well this thing has both channels going for it, and you can go from your clean tone, semi, clean, nasty clean, to your lead break on the second channel without touching anything. (absolutly smokin lead tone I might add) This amp is so flexable it isn't even funny.

Cliff at Destroy All Guitars has info on his website about the Type III and the classic reverb, has both at his place and is very in the know about Two-Rocks. I played both and prefered the Type III, you may not. This amp is the best amp to cross my doorstep in a while, it's working and working good. It's amazing how much more time you have to better your playing when you not chasing you tone 24/7

Oh yea I've had this thing 8 weeks and still honeymooning and I'm truley wondering when it will end. I don't think it will.:eek:

4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Classic Type 3, but the Classic Reverb has the best beefy cleans I've ever heard and has the best reverb that I've ever heard. It's a very different kind of TR. There are so many tonal options on it it seems like it's a two channel amp. It comes with a three button footswitch for FET, Boost, and Reverb defeat. With these options alone the amp can go from incredibly clean to incredibly overdriven. And, although this is not a dumble inspired amp, one can get dumble type cleans on it, especially with the FET engaged.

5. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I have both the Classic Reverb and the Type 3. Both killer amps and very different from each other. The Clean is as good on the type 3 but no verb but with fet engaged and the proper eqs you can get the type 3 to have an amazing clean tone that is so detailed and alive sounding. I actually love both amps and use them for tones other than the routine RF/LC Dumble sound. If I want that , I use a pedal like the GSR, Zendrive or this secret Dumble type pedal I have. These are both absolutely killer amps and are worth checking out if you have a place to try them.

6. Randy

Randy Member

So can the type 3 get heavy... like Em Pro / Opal tight bottom heavy? Does it have a bypass for lead tones? Is this the TR hot rodded Marshall circuit I've been waiting for? :cool:

7. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Nope. This can get plenty gainy and sounds killer but not what you desire, what you are talking about is in the works I hope. Needs to have the post eq tone stack among other things. That said you would dig the way it sounds and reacts. Hell of an amp and it sounds great and is insanely musical, but would not be tight enough to satisfy you IMHO.

8. Randy

Randy Member

Thanks Steve! :)

9. pharmx

pharmx Member

That's the same problem I have. I wish the Type 3 had reverb, but since it doesn't....i'm thinking about just getting the Classic Reverb, along with a few pedals.

10. SReynolds

VanAmps Soul-Mate Reverb might be the answer. Very good reverb.

11. pharmx

pharmx Member

Hey Steve, would you be able to post clips of one or both amps by any chance? Can't seem to find any online. Actually that goes for albuht813 and SReynolds too, if you guys have some free time :) Hopefully the Two-Rock dealer in Georgia has one of these for me to try out...if not, I might have to take a road trip! Steve, you have me intrigued with that comment about one that might be in the works with a tighter sound. Why do I get the feeling I'm gonna be so broke soon?

12. SReynolds

I would actually love to because I hear all these clips and think man they got to hear this type III but hell I don't even know how to post pics unless I cut and paste. I need to get to working on that if I can find the time. Where are you located? I'm in Asheville, NC and Cliffs got one in Fuquay Varina, next to Raleigh. I drove to Cliffs to hear one, bad move actually because I had to have it. The other bad thing was I picked up a Swan while I was there and can't get that thing out of my mind. Biggest strat sound I've ever heard. Man I need to win the lottery!!

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

Steve,

I'd love to hear clips of that amp. Try a Boss br600 - built in mics and real easy to use and get stuff online. I can walk you through the whole thing on the phone if you pick one up.

14. johnzias

johnzias Member

I was always a Vintage Blackface Twin guy till I got my Classic Reverb. It's definitely the bridge between Blackface Clean and the signature Two Rock sound IMO. More sonic dimension than the Twin, but doesn't quite have the BF bottom end so I use them in tandem.