1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Two-Rock Classic Type 3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ronw, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ronw

ronw Member

Hey just thought I’d give opportunity to offer some appreciation to the Classic Type 3 from Two-Rock. I’ve spent several days now with it. It’s a two channel amp (channel switching). I’ve spent most of the time dialing the clean channel. This channel is a serious gold mine of clean tones. Setting the EQ toggle to the “up” position, a myriad of Fender cleans are available. With the EQ toggle set in the “down” position, the cleans just get bigger and robust. This channel simply does not leave anything from the imagination. From squeaky cleans, to various degrees of hairy, crunchy goodness are at your disposal. I absolutely love it. And, it’s sonic footprint is massive, truly enormous.

The Lead channel is laced through and through with some authentic marshall DNA…yet bigger and more balsy. I’m not much of a lead player so I can’t comment in that context; but I can offer that that Lead channel puts out a thick, chunky, thud-ridden rhythm tone.

I’d be cool to hear from other Type 3 owners, and how you dial it in. I’ve been on a tone/amp quest for quite some time. I very happy to say that I think quest is over…at least for a while. J I gigged with it this weekend. It delivered without a glitch. I received many compliments on my tone…to which I simply pointed to the amp. Oh yeah, the FET on this baby is so cool that it rivaled my TIM pedal, and made me question whether or not to remove the TIM from my pedal board.

The Classic Type 3 is the real deal!

2. ROKY

ROKY Member

So you can tell the difference between it and a $300 SF Bassman ? ;)

I'd love to try a Two Rock someday.. the OPAL model always intrigued me.

3. ronw

ronw Member

Yes! My friend was wrong. There are just some things he just doesn't know what he's talking about.

BTW: Those clips of the "new" Singer on anther thread easily can be found in the Type 3.

4. ronw

ronw Member

Sweet! So, when's the due date? You'll love it. Dude, the feel of this amp is off the charts. Great interaction between playing style and amp.

5. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

One of the best amps I have ever owned. Awesome sounding and feeling. Love the Type 3.

6. ronw

ronw Member

Hey Steve, how does the Type 3 differ tonally from the TR protype "Singer" amp you mentioned in another thread?

7. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I'm curious about that too, as I am not familiar with the intricate differences between the Dumble ODS and the Steel String Singers.

I will say I am guessing they are geared at different things. I am thinking the Singer is the production version of the SSS that they came out with. Similar to how the Classic Reverb is the production version of the Mayer Sig amp.

8. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I can't wait to hear one in a few weeks.
    I understand it is very special

9. justonwo

justonwo Member

What do you currently have, 1TwoRock? And what kind of music do you play? What Two Rock amps are non-compressed?

10. ronw

ronw Member

I've don't have experience with most of the other TR's, but I don't think the Classic Type 3 sounds compressed at all. It doesn't squash down. It raises up and rips your head off! I don't know if it's the dual rectifier or what, but the "feel" of this amp is sweet! Not stiff, not spongy...as Goldie Locks says, "it's just right"; and I don't equate this to be the result compression. I hope that made sense. :)

11. albuht813

albuht813 Member

Congrats on the type 3. I just bought a classic reverb 2 months ago and have already decided on my next move...which is most defintely the Type 3.

12. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

Same here Steve. This amp has taken up permanent residence, and is without a doubt my favorite to date. What a feeling!!

ronw These things are a serious gold mine of lead tones as well. Enjoy! I sure am.

13. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Quite a recommendation coming from you..

14. pharmx

pharmx Member

Mine is going to be the odd one of the bunch since I chose to have it modified. Hopefully it's kept its mojo!

15. ronw

ronw Member

After listening to a lot of the clips posted here, I'm a little humbled to post anything; for I'm no slayer/shredder/jazz aficionado. Just a rhythm guitarist with a taste for tone. :) Yet, last night I was playing around with some recording gear and was able to lay down some very simple strumming chord patterns that highlight the Classic Type 3's clean tone. It's definitely not easy to capture all of it's tonal width and breadth. So many under and over tones going on in the room that I just cannot seem to record. Oh well. Take a listen, and try not to get bored with the performance and miss the tone.

I set the EQ stage on the second setting. The cab is a 2x12 TR sig loaded with two G12H30's. There are three little diddies in the recording. The first was recorded using a Suhr Classic T (middle position), second used the same guitar with bridge pickup, and the third used a Gretsch Reverend Horton Heat (TV Jones Classics) in the middle position.

Hope this is a little helpful.

recording >>