1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Two Rock CR Artist vs. Fuchs ODS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Maven, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Okay, i know tone is subjective and you really have to hear and feel it for yourself but if anyone ones either of these amps can you give me some feedback. Everything I've read is favorable for both but I've really heard glowing reviews on the Two rock custom signature model. The only problem i see with that amp is its price tag. Around 5K. I'm leaning toward the ODS 30. I have a THD flexi 50 now which i love. But i'm looking to add another more articulate amp to the arsenal. I wouldn't say I'm a tone guru or anything like that. I just enjoy nice gear! Also, any ideas on good dealers for Fuchs?

2. Anderson Atom

Anderson Atom Member

For dealers of both Amps contact Eddie at Indoor Storm they are the best
    when it comes to highend gear. The store is located in Raleigh NC.
    Web site is www.indoorstorm.com they have great sound clips for Two Rock and Fuchs amps. Tell Eddie Pat Kiser sent you.

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Pat, I'm Keith. I drive up from Washington NC sometimes. I may have met you there. I'm bad with names. I love that shop.

4. tedjac

tedjac Guest

I'm a very happy Fuchs ODS-30-SLX owner. First, let me recommend Michael Lewis (www.michaellewismusic.com/fuchs) as a top-notch Fuchs dealer. He's a great guy and a great musician and he knows and uses Fuchs amps.

I've never played a Two-Rock. I've heard mostly great things about them. They are considerably more expensive. My Fuchs amp is absolutely amazing! I just got done playing around with it for about three hours and all I can say is it keeps getting better and better as I get to know how it responds to different settings and different playing dynamics. I have never played an amp that responds so well to pick attack. I can play lightly and it sings nice and clean... then I dig in a little and it gets a little creamier... then I really attack and it justs gets meatier! My fingers get sore before I get bored playing with this amp.

For $2K more money, a Two-Rock has got to be TRULY the greatest amp ever made to justify the extra cost. I'm not saying they aren't rteally cool amos... I just can't imagine then outperforming the Fuchs by that much. For $3K, I got a hand tuned, custom color 2X12 combo. It is BY FAR the best amp I've ever played. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Fuchs ODS30. With the extra $2K you could get a pretty nice guitar or a whole floor full of pedals!

Ted

5. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

How's the clean on the ODS 30. Is it a really chimey Fenderish clean or is it a little gritty? I'm definetely looking into the ODS 30 SLX if I can find a good deal on one ;)

6. tedjac

tedjac Guest

I was pleasantly surprised by the clean. While it may not be quite as bright as a Fender, there is no grit unless you dial it in. Keep in mind that I chose speakers that wouldn't break up easily. I suppose with different speakers, grit would come into play more than it does with these Patriot Red, White and Blues. These speakers are a little less prone to break-up and don't add too much of their own "tone" to the amp. I like to have the amp make the tone and the overdrive, not the speakers. EV and JBL speakers were both known for being very robust and "clean." These speakers are in that vein.

The clean channel is very versatile and with the right settings can be bright and chimey or you can easily dial in a very warm, very full sound. This amp is almost like another instrument you play. It is so versatile and has so much great tone at its controls. As you can no doubt tell... I REALLY LIKE THIS AMP!

As far as a good deal... contact Michael Lewis and see what he has on hand... he will give you a good deal... and he know Fuchs amps.

Ted

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have an ODS 30. Absolutely the best amp I've ever owned. Really great classic sounding overdrive and a big fat clean channel too. I don't believe I'll ever play anything else.

8. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

I have to agree with this posting, word for word.

Oh. and I saw a Fuchs modded Two Rock on eBay this morning. Gotta say something ...

-jm

9. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I imagine it says more about the amp owner that paid for the mod, than about the amp itself, if it was the normal Fuch's mod. The normal mod almost completely guts the original amp and can be performed on inexpensive amps with essentially the same result...so taking a TR and using it as the basis for a Fuch's mod is most likely a poor use of funds (if I was Andy I would have very much enjoyed using a competitor's platform as the basis for the mod). If the mod was simply Fuch's take on improving a TR, or if it was just a specific request for something by the original owner (i.e. more of this or that) then I don't think it means much either given the subjectiveness of tone and the infrequency of seeing something like this.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

The way high-end gear turns on this board, it says nothing other than that we're a bunch of gear sluts.

11. jmadill

Agreed. There's no accounting for taste.

Here's the auction link.

Probably could have bought a pretty nice Fuchs with the funds from selling the Two Rock Emerald. A fool and his money are soon parted. To top it off, the Fuchs modded Emerald amp in question sold on eBay for around $1300. Lets do some math ... $999 for the mod, that means $301 for the Two Rock. That's an excellent return on the investment.

I guess that GAS is essentially a tax on the mathematically challenged.

-jm

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Dave actually said something funny! :D :p ;)

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

WhyIoughtta...!!!

14. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I've played several production Fuchsen and owned a Traynor ODS mod. Andy builds some terrific amps. That said, my #1 amp is now a Two Rock Emerald 50.

Assuming you're not a vegetarian, it's kinda like asking about filet mignon vs. prime rib. They're both wonderful but whether one is better than the other is entirely a matter of personal taste.

15. jmadill

Kinda. But most vegetarians can REMEMBER the difference. ;-) But being a vegetarian IS a matter of personal taste. (I have several living in my house)

I kinda think of it more like asking both vegans and omnivores which is better, meat or veggies? Although you might get a few omnivores that say vegetables, it more likely that vegans would prefer veggies, and omnis that prefer meat.

To make an informed decision, though, you should taste them yourself. You know what you want, I know what I want. What you are looking for and what I am looking for may not be the same.

BTW, I eat meat, my wife doesn't. We allowed our children to choose for themselves. 2 are Vegetarians, 2 are not.

-jm

16. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

yeah but i'm not hungry, i just want a cool amp.

just kidding ;)

17. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I wouldn't mind hearing more opinions on this subject of Fuchs ODS vs Two Rock Custom Artist... they aren't $2000 apart. A Fuchs ODS 50 is close to $3000 with the artist switching footpedal, and a Two Rock Custom Artist is $3800 (it is the Custom Artist Signature that is $5400)

I have not heard a clip or a recording of the Fuchs ODS-SLX that (to my ears) sounds as great as the best Custom Artist Signature clips (especially those done by Eddie Berman), but I haven't heard alot of Custom Artist clips

Every single dealer that I've spoken to that carries or has carried both Two Rock and Fuchs has told me that Two Rock is at an entirely different level from Fuchs...

18. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I gigged for a year and a half with a Fuchs ODS50. I now own a Two Rock Opal. Based on my experience with these two amps, I would say the Two Rock is on another level.

I bought my two rock for less than I paid for the Fuchs. The Two Rock wasn't selling so the store owner gave me a killer deal.

YMMV and all that...

19. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

With the whole price thing, I think you have to compare apples to apples. To me, while the Two-Rocks are expensive, the Fuchs are not drastically cheaper.

20. scottl

scottl Member

The owner of the Two Rocks in this picture said, "that amp is pissing me off" when he heard one of my Fuchs. Although the Two Rocks sounded great, the Fuchsen here TOTALLY held their own, and then some depending on who you talk to.

[​IMG]