Two-Rock Custom Reverb Users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Sep 13, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Do any of you use the amp for classic rock stuff? Or is it simply voiced more to the blues/fusion thing?

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

I have an CR Artist and have used it on a wide variety of styles. It sounds good doing everything and takes pedals very well. Just to give you an idea, in addition to original music, here's a few artists my current band covers:
    Grant Green
    Wayne Shorter
    Rolling Stones
    Blind Faith
    Freddy King
    Meters
    John Hyatt
    Dire Straits
    And many, many others...

I've also used it on gigs with a jam band I occasionally play with, and sit ins with a local SRV/Ian Moore type guitar hero guy.

3. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

fwiw, i have tried a custom prototype and custom (non-reverb) and i think they probably do a more standard rock tone than an emerald pro or opal, which lean toward smoother tones. that's not to say the custom line can't do smooth - i just sold the prototype that had a great singing lead tone. but compared to the emerald/opal it naturally seemed to lean toward more rock tones.

but you might also consider the original emerald model. it has an incredible classic rock grind - very deep and rich. it's not quite as smooth and refined as the emerald pro, but at lower gain settings it can still get great ford-ish tones. turn the gain up a bit and you get a nice almost plexi-ish grind.

4. guitar-rookie

guitar-rookie Supporting Member

sorry to hijack..but what's the ballpark price for one of these?

5. fenderbender4

It's just that I love the clean of the Two-Rocks (custom reverb), but I kind of need the dirty to be able to do some rocking chord stuff as well.

6. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

just checking - have you already tried other TR models and found them not to work for your needs? if so, that might help figure out what might work better for you...

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

To quote the late,great J.P.Morgan-if you have to ask,you can't afford it.:nono

Sorry,I could not resist that one...used EmPro about 2500,used Custom about 2300,used Custom Reverb about 2800,new CustomReverb Sig about 5000...This does not include a speaker or a speaker cabinet...hope I got the prices in the 'hood,guys...:D

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Up until I got sick in July 2006,I used mine for classic rock and blues...Custom #22.It will do just about anything in all the aforementioned styles.

9. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

at least based on my own sales, i think those are a bit high. i'd guesstimate them at:

most of the emerald pros & customs seem to go between 2000 and 2300, with a few falling out on either end
    opals maybe 2200-2400
    CR's not as sure, but probably 2100-2300
    emerald 1700-2000

new sigs are around 5k, but used under 4.

10. guitar-rookie

guitar-rookie Supporting Member

thanks guys..appreciate it..now..back to the topic!!

11. fenderbender4

Err.... or not. I think I'll just ponder on my own:

FTR37 or CR (horrible horrible comparison don't try)

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I wasn't sure as I have not been amp shopping since last year-thanks for the correction...:AOK

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>It's just that I love the clean of the Two-Rocks (custom reverb), but I kind of need the dirty to be able to do some rocking chord stuff as well.<<

Try the Onyx yet?

14. PFCG

PFCG Member

the amp could do anything, i use it for high gain on the lead channel and for super clean on the clean channel, and if i want that brash dirty feeing i just hit the gain boost on the footswitch. the amp rocks!

15. fenderbender4

16. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Two Rocks' have a "boost" but it's really an EQ defeat (their EQ's are subtractive in that they dump highs/mids/lows to ground so when you defeat them your getting a boosted signal relatively speaking)...and it is heavenly....on my CR Sig...

Depending on how you set the gain on the clean channel to begin with you either go from clean (non boosted) to a great Bluesy grit or grind that cleans up nicely with guitar volue..meanwhile having "that" Two Rock clarity on the clean channel. If you set your gain higher on the clean channel to begin with you can start already with some grit, and when boosted it can become downright gain. Remember all the while being able to get back to that clean with a simple roll back on guitar volume.

The EQ defeat also works on the gain channel...and the same trick works...in that where ever you set the gain unboosted on the gain channel..it just means your that much further along when you boost the gain channel.

Since the channels are progressive... the dirtier you set the clean channel, the heavier the gain channel can become (unless you roll back the gain there).

For hoots I've set mine up before with alot of gain on the clean and alot of gain on the gain channel..to see where I could get..and it' was pretty amazing to see that you can go for some pretty aggressive tones if you want.

And this is all before even introducing pedals into the mix...Personally I've never found the need to add boost or gain pedals on it.

It's a great set up.

17. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I've been hearing about how great the Custom Artist is but that the Custom Signature is even better... anyone have a chance to compare the two?

The feedback I've been getting from folks who I trust is that the Custom Artist is "incredible" but that the Custom Signature is "one of if not THE greatest amp ever made"...

Agree/disagree?

18. klatuu

klatuu Member

Look for a Topaz......they were introduced when NOS tubes got scarce, to replace the Em Pro, though I think only a few dozen were made,(mine is #3 and it has NOS tubes...go figure). It has the wonderful clean channel TR's have and a really gritty in your face lead channel. All the dirt you could ever want....I've never used any OD pedals. It has considerably less sag than a CR, though has very similar voicing. Maybe a bit more touch sensitive than a CR and a touch less sweet sounding. Probably a lot more scarce than the CR due to limited production numbers, but I see them for sale from time to time. I like 'em both!

19. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Thanks for your perspective, klatuu... What do you think of the Emerald Pro as compared with the more recent Two Rock amps?