Two Rock Emerald 50 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aleclee, Apr 22, 2005.

1. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I got it a week ago and have enough time on it to feel comfortable commenting on my first impressions. I played it about five weeks ago at the GC in San Jose and was blown away. I had a few weeks to think about it as it was on police hold.

I finally understand the true meaning of "touch sensitivity". This is the first amp that I actually believe has "enough gain" but cleans up without sounding choked. Of course the Emerald is a two channel amp with a world class clean channel as well.

Not all was peachy. One of the DPDT switches in the footswitch crapped out almost immediately. :( A kind forumite has hooked me up with a replacement switch (and a few spares) and I'll whip out the soldering iron on Saturday. Fortunately, I have some other compatible footswitches to get me through tomorrow's rehearsal.

But the tone! Luscious cleans and meaty overdrive. Sparkle, girth, 3D reverb, great FX loop. Me likey. A lot. As another Two Rock owner likes to say, "VERY GOOD". :p

Two Rock's customer service has impressed as well. This morning I emailed them with a question about the seven (!) trim pots inside. The response was prompt, polite, and informative. This evening I played with the trimmers that constitute the lead channel EQ. Very sweet.

I can't wait to try this out with the band. Having played it in a GC while a bunch of shredders were warming up for Guitarmaggedon, I know it cuts through. ;)

With my Rivera to do the clean/crunch thing and the TRock to do the sparkle/sweet thing, I'm not sure where my recently acquired Fuchs mod stands. Its EL34 power section certainly provides a distinctive sonic signature but I'm not sure it has a niche in my lineup. We'll see how I feel in the coming months. It's a great amp but doesn't do it for me the way my Emerald does.

VERY GOOD indeed.

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Sweet man, enjoy it! Em's are fantastic.

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

Alec, what serial number? My first two-rock was a late generation em50 (202) and it was an awesome amp I never should have sold.

4. aleclee

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on the Two Rock!
    I have owned an EM50 112 combo (fane alnico).
    Great amp!
    S.
    j

6. Fairweather

Fairweather Member

I've got an EM 50 (s/n 206) with 4 6V6 tubes. For awhile, I was thinking of selling it/replacing it for their Ruby model (a much different animal, Marshall/Trainwreck type of circuit).

I'm glad I restrained myself. People who have heard it, all tend to use the same adjective -- SWEET! I'm just looking to replace the speakers in my 2X12 Brown Soun Cabinet (the Tone Tubby Hemp Alnico's) with (1) Two-Rock's new 100W Eminence. and (1) Fane 100W Alnico, which I think will be a better match for my EM 50 and K & M Custom.

Enjoy.

7. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The Em 50 really shines when played loud and live in a band setting. Keep the gain tamed and there's nothing it won't cut through.

jon

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

The difference for me between TR and my other amps is that the touch sensitivity makes the amp more of an instrument than my others. It actually causes me to play differently. You can really milk it. The first time I played Mook's I could still "feel" it in my fingers for a week afterwards. Too cool.

I find that the more gain I add, the more the touch goes away so there's this fine line I've found where it has just enough hair but still allows for the touch.

Enjoy.

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD!! I am VERY sure you were one of the non believers when I used to rave about my Two Rock..... :p

One day, everyone on earth will play a Two Rock or Bruno, and there will be peace and Harmony on earth. :D

10. big mike

ROFLMAO!!!! Add a Z and I might agree! :D

11. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I know at least one guy who won't!

12. Tag

I KNEW you would ruin everything!! :mad:

13. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

that's what I'm here for...bad Tag-no world peace for you! :)

14. Tag

SPOIL SPORT!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. Timmo

Timmo Member

Count me in, so that's two already! :cool:

16. aleclee

Horses for courses. :AOK

There's a reason I'm holding on to my Rivera...

17. big mike

LOLOLOLOLOL

18. Timmo

Timmo Member

:BEER

19. Tag

See that! And everyone wonders why the world is in such a mess! :p Its because of the damn Marshall men!!! :mad:

20. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Hey Alec, enjoy the amp!

They're really a joy to play, especially when you reach that magical point of getting everything into the sweet spot - preamp, power tubes, and speaker.