Two Rock Emerald 50 ROCKS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Braciola, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Two Rock Emerald 50 ROCKS!
    Man, what a great sounding amp!
    I'm really more of a Marshall player , but every time I play lead through a Two Rock I get a big smile on my face.
    I used to have an Emerald pro that just killed, but sold it because even though I got some killer lead tones, I couldn't dial in a usable classic rock crunch.
    I never could get that lead tone out of my head though, so when a Emerald 50 came up for sale I just had to try it.
    The amp is layed out pretty much the same as the Emerald Pro but the tone is much more to my liking.
    A bit rawer, and leaning more towards a Marshall tone than the Emerald Pro, it easily covers classic rock tones as well as a killer lead and clean tone.
    I've played a few Fuchs before but IMHO,Two Rock has them beat in every department..
    Awesome, awesome amps.

2. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Well, I have an Emerald Pro on the way so hopefully I'm as happy as you are. What kind of speakers are you using yours with?

3. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Hey Dom,

I had one of those and it was a very versatile amp for the cover band. Likes to be opened up. Since I got that, I've owned four other K&M/Two Rock amps. I really liked them all! I'm down to one, now: a Custom with a special effects loop that I think adds the last bit of special sauce to a cool ride. Its a smoove and singing amp. I suspect the Emerald would be more to your liking, though, given your tastes. Honestly, though, they are all cool.

Oh, and thanks again for the Sunday Gravy recipe. My fambly loves it.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Great amps. Just chiming in with my 2 cents. :)

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I can't disagree with you. :p

6. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

i definitely agree on the emerald v. em. pro. (although i'm basing this on a sapphire). the emerald has a lot of the same fatness, but with a bit more bite and crunch that makes it great for classic rock kind of stuff. the em. pro has more of a smooth grind thing going - huge leads. i'm able to get some decent crunch out of the em. pro as well, but i think the emerald does it more easily.

7. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Rico,
    Could you give me some info on that tweak to the effects loop? I have a Custom w/stock effects loop, but it sounds from what you're saying that there is an additional tweak they can do?

Thanks!

(Sorry to divert the thread, but I've been searching for this info for a while.)

8. Braciola

LOL! Awesome that's cool as hell.
    Happy you enjoy it!

9. Braciola

Yep!

10. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Hey Geoff,

I used to have a custom prototype taht was REALLY special. The chap I bought it from wanted it back because it really suited him, so I sold him back the amp, knowing I could get another Custom pretty easily. Soon I had another and it was great, but not GREAT like the other. One difference was the effects loop. The proto had a Dumbleator-type effects loop. I sent mine west for a little sprucing up and the amp came back GREAT. Its the last bit of special sauce. I really like what it does to this circuit. I also use the loop as a "master" and run the master on the front higher.

Bill and Joe can give you more info, I'm sure. All I know is that this is IT for me.

Have fun!

11. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Did your Custom originally lack an effects loop? If so, the loop I already have may be what they put in yours... thanks!

12. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I owned an Emerald 50 combo for awhile.
    It had a small problem with a tube socket that I sold rather than getting it fixed. Looking back, that was a mistake.
    The gain that amp had (with the 112 Fane alnico onboard) was very Marshallesque, but still with a hint of smoothness.

Now...I, too, own a Custom head (#44)...and it is a very sweet amp indeed.
    It is my go to for the funk fusion gig I currently have.

Two Rock Rocks!
    S.j

13. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

It had an effects loop. The new circuit has an extra tube, I think. Not really sure! Bill could tell ya. All I know is it made it mo betta.

14. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet

I love my Em Pro...Oviedo, hah, I'm just down the stree in Chuluota..

15. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I had one & hated it - build quality was the worst I've ever seen (my tech too). The 2-Rockers were cool with me & gave me a refund - they said it was an early unit & what not. Sounds like they turned things around - but I'll never own another one - guaranteed.

and sounding like a Marshall?!?! C'mon - you must've never played a Marshall . . .

16. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Much thanks Rico - I'm checking it out with Joe.

17. zoooombiex

i wonder if that was the problem one that seems to surface every once in a while?

i think he's right in the respect that the em. pro is known for the super-smooth leads, but the emerald has a bit of bite to it that is reminiscent of a marshall. it's the same way the opal is known to have more bite and people describe it as marshall-ish. i don't think anyone is going to confuse the two when you hear them, but it's a good way of distinguishing tit from other two-rock models.

18. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

So....what is the deal with the speaker? I think I have read that you have to wire your speaker cable differently? I'm not sure if that was for all Two Rocks or just a particlular model.

19. Braciola

Hey, thanks for your opinion, really!
    I find it very refreshing that someone (besides me) has the balls to stand up and say when an amp didn't work well for them.
    I can't say I agree with you though. Maybe the amp had a problem you weren't aware of?

20. zoooombiex

i believe all the two-rocks have the output wired the reverse of most other amps (though correct me if i'm wrong and some models are standard). so to be in "absolute phase" you have to have either the cable or the cab wired in reverse too. whether you can hear a difference is up to you, of course...