Two Rock Emerald 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by grantster, Feb 12, 2012.

1. grantster

grantster Member

I was wondering how the old Two Rocks compare to Current Versions in terms of clean tones and OD channel. I have only had the opportunity to try the studio pro and gainmaster and found them both to have great tones. I am considering an Emerald 50 (s/n >200) but it is not in my city to try out. Most of the references regarding Emeralds seem to be about the Emerald Pro on this forum.

I have heard some people state the newer two rocks are "more refined". Is the clean channel on the Emerald 50 as nice or comparable to the newer two rocks, and will it get the SRV dumble tone (I really did not want to write that but love that tone)

thanks

grant

2. jayn

jayn Member

If you are looking at the one in the emporium, I've played that one and it has these big, huge, chunky clean tones that were touch sensitive and very inspiring. The OD tones were really nice too - nice and gainy, but with clarity and percusiveness.

That amp isn't anything I'd normally consider using, I'm a Vox clean to slightly gritty guy, but I found it to be amazing at clean and OD.

3. 64 burst

64 burst Member

There is a lot of talk about getting the tone of legendary players like SRV or Robben Ford/Larry Carlton, EJ or John Mayer. Truth is, no amp or guitar can get you there, because in the end tone is all about technique and unless you can really get inside what these players do with their hands, it's all in vain.

That being said, I own Emerald 50 head #103 and have had it for 10 years now and I absolutely love it. I have somewhere around 500 gigs logged on it and many studio sessions on albums. What led me to the Two Rock company (this was back in 2001) was of course the search for tone and gear as used by my favorite players listed above. These amps will get you in the ball park, but the important thing is that they give you a transparent sound and feel to allow your technique to shine through.

I have recently bought a TR Jet 35 and while to me it feels more aggressive (more high gain in the lead channel), it is quite similar in feel and tone both in the clean and lead channels. Although, it is 35 watts and not 50, so that may be the difference I hear. AND...the Emerald likes to be cranked for the really nice tone. One thing I have noticed about the Emerald is that it really likes humbuckers in the lead channel (though I primarily use a strat now) and it sounds better at lower volumes than the Jet does (if you can believe that). Both amps sound much better with the 2 x 12 cab, and I have used them both with the 1 x 12 also.

I have also done recordings with the 10th Anniversary and Eric Gales models and while they all have somewhat different 'voices', they certainly have similar DNA.

Hope this is helpful, and if I had to choose between my Two Rocks, I would keep the Emerald all the way.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

That Em50 in the emporium is one I've heard in person many times. Great amp - can do it all actually. Even at low volumes.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I had a Topaz, and it had fabulous cleans, and an incredibly versatile OD... I only sold it due to a financial situation... I haven't played the newer ones, but the old ones were great amps, IMO...

6. Yossi

Yossi Member

I had an Emerald 50 but sold it beacause it was too much amp for my at home use. It was quite an amp.

7. grantster

grantster Member

All your comments are appreciated. I love the new smaller two rocks sound, but like bigger iron as mentioned. I have been trying to make up my mind whether to get the older models (Emerald) vs getting a newer model custom reverb v2 or v3 used. The new 50 and 100 watt studio pros and gainmasters are also intriguing.

keep the advice and comments coming. I am sure there are others wondering the same thing. Because two rock are not in every city, many are buying without trying on the used market.

8. 64 burst

64 burst Member

So....? What did you end up getting..?

9. amc

amc Member

i had a two rock sapphire, the 100w version of the emerald 50, for many years before getting a two rock custom reverb sig v2.

the crs v2 has both a more detailed, almost crystalline clean and a smoother sweeter
    overdrive,

the monster iron and 100w oomph of the sapphire gave everything a "bigger" bottom and the overdrive channel is almost marshall-like.

the early two rock amps are fantastic sounding.
    i believe that the emerald 50 is a bargain in today's marketplace.

just my 2 cents, ymmv...................

10. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Supporting Member

I had and emerald 50 pro on loan for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed it. Compared to the two other TR amps I own/have owned (CRS v1 and Jet Sig), I too found it more Marshall than D in the OD. I agree that these are great deals right now and will probably not be after a few more years.

11. grantster

grantster Member

I got an Emerald 50 en route. I am very excited, and look forward to taking it for a spin.

grant

12. Baminated

Baminated Member

I had an Emerald 50 combo. Two things I didn't like

(1)the V30

(2)The cascading volume from the clean channel to the OD channel was impossible to reconcile even with the internal pots

(A) You'd get a decent clean tone, but then there wasn't enough to juice the OD channel

(B) You'd get the OD dialed in real nice, then the clean channel would break up too much

Not a fan of that design

13. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Interesting this came up.

I used to have K&M Custom #22, and it just so happens I am taking delivery on #27 today. I hope it sounds as good as #22.

I should have never gotten rid of it. It only took 6 years to suss it out...

Cleans-Fender BF with sparkle.
    OD-Positively joyous.

Anybody have any smooth plate Telefunkens?

14. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I had #241 and it was brilliant..Wish I had it back..