Two Rock Emerald Pro #268

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Maven, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Okay dudes, it's official. I just bought my first Two Rock amplifier!

This is the first piece of equipment I've ever bought without hearing it first but I have been doing alot of research on these, listened to several clips asked many questions and spoke to both Joe and Bill. I'm excited to hear it to say the least! After speaking with Bill at Two Rock again today I feel confident that if there are any issues with the amp they will take care of me. Cabinet question: Actually this was in another post. I have a THD Flexi that I run through an Avatar 2x12 (Vintage 30, 70th anniversay Celestion). I can run the Emerald with that cab, right? Someone else said it needs to be out of phase? Not familiar with that. Enlighten me.

Anyone who owns an Emerald Pro (or has owned one) or any Two Rock for that matter feel free to confirm to me that I made a good buy ($1925)! It really came down to this or trying to find a Fuchs ODS 30 head. Since I've never heard Fuchs I basically went with my gut and chose Two-Rock. I guess worse case scenario I could always sell it, right? Not planning on it though, I'm sure it's going to be KILLER.Looking forward to posting clips once I have her!

Craig

2. Merlin

Merlin Supporting Member

Good move man. Don't worry, you're gonna be glad!!

Just try your cab out. I believe the in/out of phase thing is just whether the speaker moves in first or out first. I've even heard some people like it that way.

3. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Congrats on buying a great amp. Thing is, you're going to want to take your time in getting to know it. Two Rocks give you great tone right off the bat, but they are deep amps that reward you with a LOT of tonal possibilities.

Reaearch online here if you haven't already — there are some great threads that give good advice on finding the magic zones of a Two Rock pretty quickly.

And, you have the backing of one of the finest amp shops around who will be happy to work with you if there's anything you might want to tweak or change in your amp.

4. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm just going to really enjoy sitting with this thing, spending some time with it and dialing it in. I've owned: marshall jcm 800, jcm 900. dsl 2000, fender hod rod deville, Bogner Shiva El-34, THD Flexi 50....now, TWO ROCK! I'm really excited, can you tell!?!

This is a great forum, too. Very helpful and friendly advise..

Also, I've read in some threads that often times there are challenges with the effects loop because many times effects impedance levels vary, so you get a loss in tone, true? If so, can you have effects modded to fix that(like Keeley?) Right now, I run a Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Clyde, a boss chorus and a voodoo labs micro vibe (which will be gone soon) in front of the amp. I run a boss dd-6 and a EH holy grail reverb in the loop of my THD. Any suggestions on how the E-Pro will respond to this stuff. I have a feeling I won't even want to use ANY of these effects with this amp!

Also, i just broke up with my girlfriend recently. I always find a fresh, new piece of gear always helps when relationships go bad for me:

Ashley- Eric Clapton strat
    Rhonda- 58 Les Paul reissue
    Mary- Taylor 814ce
    Amanda- Two Rock E-Pro

Man, that's sad!!! but I've got some great gear!

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

wow, that sounds like a great deal to me! Congrats man!

6. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Regarding the phase....if you want to preserve the ability to play your cabinet with other amps the normal way...leave the cabinet wired standard, but wire up a speaker cord that is wired in reverse....that way it will be out of phase. The difference between it being properly wired on the TR can be the difference between whether your notes die out prematurely vs. blooming and sustaining longer.

7. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

$1925 is a great price for that amp.

Plus, your lady friends rhyme. :)

8. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Plus, your lady friends rhyme.

funny:jo

So, to wire a speaker cable in reverse do I just take one of the ends and switch the two wires? (im not the most technically advanced)

9. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Yes

10. scottl

scottl Member

You should grab a set of the Two Rock 1265 speakers. The Vintage 30s are a bad match for any Dumble style amp IMHO. Congrats on the purchase. The Emmy is my fave Two Rock......

11. GM1

GM1 Member

Good advice, I have a Two Rock Low Gain E-Pro and the best match I have found is a pair of vintage 1265s. This amp takes a while to really dial in but I beleive it is one of the best sounding amps Two Rock has produced to date.

12. scottl

scottl Member

I have found with my post OD stack amp the same thing.... Speakers are critical, and it needs to be adjusted exactly right. Those little internal trimmers can make or break the tone with the slightest maladjustment. When dialed in, watch out! But, I think there is a stigma on the HRM amps since many are probably out of whack....

13. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

How do you go about dialing it in Scott?

Dennis

14. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

congrats! that's a good buy price and tone-wise.

there are a couple good threads here and on the two-rock forum about dialing in their amps. some people start at the front end of the controls and work their way down (from clean to lead boost). i happen to like starting at the end and working back (from lead boost to clean). but do a search and you'll find some good explanations of both.

15. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Excellent buy, you will love it.

The guys are right about the V-30s with a TR; TRs are really more hi-fi than most amps, and more of the high frequencies are preserved coming out of the amp. As a result, something like a V-30 is going to sound very, very bright.

I had a Bogner 212 with V-30s installed when I got my first TR, and I simply had to roll off the high frequencies. ON THE OTHER HAND...it recorded really well with an SM57 that way, so I kinda liked it. I think most people would cover their ears, tho...

I've had good luck with the TR 12-65s, and even good sound with the Mesa 90W Black Shadow, and truthfully, it even sounds good with my son's Avatar 412 with V-30s if I roll back the high end. So...YMMV.

Anyway, best sound? Semi open back cab with TR 12-65s.

As to making a speaker wire reversed at one end, my studio tech says this should be a temporary fix, that it's safer to simply switch the speaker wires inside the cab. Not that I know why, something to do with what wire is grounded to the metal sleeve...I think... I'm just passing this along...anyway, before you do this, just listen to the cab, you may not even need to switch the wires.

If you're getting a "thunky" sort of attack instead of a "slicing" attack at the start of a note, try switching and see what happens. If it isn't a problem, don't fix it! ;)

Anyway, congrats on the amp.

16. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

There's a Two Rock 1-12 with a 12-65 on Ebay right now I could grab. WHat do you guys think? It sounds like most of you would prefer the 2 x12 over the 1x12? Any feedback is appreciated!

17. scottl

scottl Member

I was referring to the internal tonestack. It is my belief that the stack is to be adjusted for optimal lead bypass tone. The regular OD may suffer, but I think the design implication of having the post OD stack is so you can seperately set your clean EQ (on the front panel) and the OD tones using the bypassed front EQ and setting the internal stack. This applies more to the low gain Emerald Pro since it has the special low gain network from the 1997 HRM Dumble.

18. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

I actually prefer the 1x12. I have owned one for a while. I did not own the 2x12 but my friend did and loaned it to me for a while.

Dennis

19. GM1

GM1 Member

I like the TWo Rock 1x12s, I think the 1x12 with a 1265 would be a great match for your E-Pro. I have a Tone Tubby 2x12 cab that I am going to sell and replace with a Two Rock 1x12 cab. I already have a Two Rock 1x12 I use with my Brunos and I love it.

20. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

agreed. by "lead bypass" i meant optimizing the amp for lead bypass settings (including internal trimmers) and then working your way back to the clean setting controls. since there are other threads on this topic i didn't go into much detail... :)