Two Rock Emerald Pro....full subjective review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I’ve played a few Two Rocks in the past and while all were impressive amps only one ever really flipped my wig and was clearly my favorite of the bunch. It was the Emerald Pro. I didn’t have a chance to spend a lot of time with that amp since it didn’t belong to me but I had enough time on it to know I REALLY liked it. Finally, after a couple years of watching for them casually and spending a lot of energy and time exploring other areas, I came across a deal on one at the same time that I had some liquidity so I jumped on her.

Now after a few weeks with my Emerald Pro I am more flat out blown away by this amp then ever before. Now that I’ve had time to thoroughly explore my Em Pro with various guitars, cabinets, speakers and settings not only have I solidified my belief that this IS the best Two Rock built to date (for my needs anyway) it has impressed me far beyond my fondest memory of it. Few amps I have ever played have produced so much girth, dynamic and incredible cleans all in one package and none have ever done ALL so well. When I am playing this amp I find myself in disbelief that it is only running two 7581A’s at 50 watts. Not because of volume, but because of the girth and depth of tone. As a matter of fact I’ve been extremely impressed with just how good this amp can sound at reasonable volume levels.

I have never been a big fan of the 6L6 line of tubes for my needs due to the lack of midrange but the Em Pro produces big, thick, barking, girthy (I know, that word again, but I can’t think of any other way to describe it!) midrange beef with the extended bass and treble of the 6L6. What tone!! Extremely full and rich across the entire frequency range. Absolutely no flub, looseness or loss of definition in the bottom end or anywhere else with this amp even with a Les Paul, humbucking pickups and first position string blending or chording.

With most amps I’ve played over the years I have had clear favorites as to which guitars sound good with certain amps. But with the Em Pro I have been equally impressed with every guitar I’ve plugged in. It works as well with a Les Paul as it does with a Strat or any variation there of. With single coils cleans are deep, lush and glistening. Like a pool of cool, clear, swirling water that has depth that appears to go on indefinitely. With humbuckers you can get anything from barely on the edge of break up jazz tone to full on raw rock tones. This baby can even get surprisingly British if so desired. When I heard Tag’s Van Halen clips using his Emerald Pro I thought, he has to be using a pedal to get that level of aggression. Well, let me say here and now for the record the Emerald Pro need NO pedals to do pretty much anything you could want.

I would have never dreamt of an amp that could do Larry Carlton and EVH but this is that amp. As for cabinets and speakers, I have only played it though 4X12 cabs so far. While she sounds incredible through both ceramic and alnico speakers, my hands down favorite is through a semi-open back 4x12 loaded with Celestion Alnico Blues. Amazing is all I can say! This truly is one of the most amazingly versatile and toneful amplifiers made IMHO. And if you are looking for an amp that can do cleans that will compete or rival any out there, do smooth refined overdrives or go all the way to flat out raw and rockin’ then this is an amp you really should give a try if you are fortunate enough to come across one in your travels. I'm sure am glad I did.

[​IMG]

2. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Fretmaster,
    Don't want to put you on the spot. But.....Any thoughts, comparison, comments, observations between the Emerald Pro and the Fuchs ODS 30 SLX.
    Much appreciated,
    Rick

3. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

No comparison, Two Rock!

4. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I have that same Bruno cab! I can only imagine how the Em. pro sounds like thru it! Unfortunately I had a Em pro combo that I unload, I regret that to this day:( Black creek guitars has a one off Emmy sig, I cant wait to hear it. I can definately see another in my near future.:dude

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have said it from the beginning. Glad to see others are starting to realize it as well. Im really sorry to hear you thought I used a pedal for the VH clip. I would never do something like that. That was my LP straight into the E.Pro. (Low gain)

The amp SMOKES!

:dude :dude :dude

6. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet

+1
    The Em Pro. haunted me for years, I heard the clips when it first came out and thought, damn what a sound, what personality..but I refrained..heard many clips over time on this site + having Tag around, always gushing on it backed up by his clips..I called Ultra-sound, heh.
    I could go on and on, only confirming what you've already said so well...I've always had many reasons to pick up the guitar and play, since I've gotten the Em. Pro..it has added another, in that, sometimes I just wanna play to just listen to the Em. Pro...kind weird..just ampling away...listening..with a smile on my face. I don't even look at other 'amp woman' anymore :dude

7. scottl

scottl Member

Kinkirski,

I guarantee you will eat your words if you swing by. Which you should anyway. I have some cool new toys! When do you want to come over?? Been a while.... LOL

As for this Emmy, the post OD stack cleans up the low end and keeps it nice and tight. The Hot Rubber Monkey rocks!

Scott

8. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Both amps are amazing but fairly different animals. The ODS30SLX is killer in it's own right. Given the differences between the two it would take me too long to type out all the sublte differences between them. So what I'll do is spend a substantial amount of time on the ODS this week (which will be a pleasure!) and do a detailed review of the Fuchs by the weekend. Hopefully it will make for some good holiday reading. All I will say at this point is it's been a heck of a lot of fun and a priviledge having both these amps in my stable!:dude

9. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Looking forward to your full review of the Fuchs. I have a shot at an Emerald Pro in great condition. I've been thinking about the Fuchs, but have not been able to pull the trigger. I was looking for some insight to help me make a decision. I thought they were both Dumble ODS based designs, but you're saying they're fairly different animals (?). Currently I'm playing thru my old standby Demeter TGP-3 Preamp and Demeter Power amp and an old Budda Stringmaster, both great amps in their own right. They both get me close and with my Zendrive I can get all of the RF overdriven tones I want. It's the cleans and Reverb I'm after. Any help is appreciated,
    Rick

Open to Tag, Scott, or any others who have hands on experience with both amps. Thanks again.

10. Tag

11. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Dunno about the Em Pro but my Em50 has ended my search for smooth OD. I've played a bunch of Fuchs and briefly owned a modded Traynor. One of the production amps I played had devastating cleans but the OD side didn't blow my mind the way my Two Rock did.

I'm not saying that the Two Rock is a superior amp to the Fuchs but it's certainly preferable for my purposes. Horses for courses. Pretending that one is objectively better than the other is just that: pretending.

12. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I don't see this amp on their web site. Is there a link I'm missing?
    One thing that always turned me off to these, was their "blah" cosmetics. Now I know the sound is the issue, but they look like solid state sound city amps from the 70's. For the money I'd prefer a more identifying cosmetic flair.
    Also, are they responsive at a lower volume? Or do they have to be run loud? That's the web rumor on the CAE amp, and unless you're playing several large places, it's not practical.

13. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

It used to be on their "discontinued" page. I guess there are now too many discontinued models to list 'em all. ;)

14. Tag

LOL!! Now thats funny!

Seriouisly. The Emerald Pro turned into the "Topaz", then was phased out unfortunately. Ultrasound Studio in NY still has some brand new, in the box, low and high gain E. Pros left. They come with all NOS tubes as well. I STRONGLY recommend the low gainer. Thats what all my clips are done with. Tons of gain available anyway.

15. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Wrong on both counts. I own both the Emerald Pro and a CAA OD100SH and they both sound very good at very reasonable volumes. Maybe not bedroom amps but more than reasonable for even the smallest of club venues. This is first hand experience...not rumor BTW.;)

16. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Tag, killer clips! It was your clips above all others that really renewed my interest and stepped up my search for an Em Pro and boy am I glad I did. BTW... I didn't mean to imply that you were witholding any information regarding pedals on your clips I just didn't realize the range of tones the EP was capable of all on it's own until I really had a chance to put mine through it's paces. Now I know first hand she's an all around killer.:dude