Two Rock Emerald Pro High gain vs low gain?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by toneman335, Jun 12, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

I need some clarification on the Emerald Pro high gain model vs the low gain model.
    . Is there a day and night difference between the two amps tonally?
    . Can you argue that the high gain is more versitile in that you can get higher gain plus you can get lower gain by turning down the gain control?

Also, I emailed Joe at Two Rock and he responded by saying, in so many words, that the two versions are very similar. So please try to clarify this for me. Will be greatly appreciated!

2. Randy

Randy Member

TAG would be the guy to ask - I know he's had both, but I think he's banned at the moment.

I've got a low gainer that I plan on converting to a high gainer so I'll let you know what differences I hear when I do...

3. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I have a high gain Emerald Pro that I made switchable between high and low gain. I thought the sonic differences were so insignificant that I ended up returning the amp to its original high gain only configuration.

FVB

4. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

You see, here's the problem: Tag posted so much, and so repetitively, here on this forum, that his word became gospel. But regardless of how many times or how emphatically he stated it, it's still JUST ONE GUY'S OPINION.

So the gospel is that the low gain models are MUCH better than the high-gain models --- the gospel according to Tag. But already on this thread we've got one guy who's going the other way and another guy who said there's no difference. That's two votes versus Tag's one vote - get it?!?!

The same goes for Tag's other opinions. Valid? - yes. Gospel truth? - no.

5. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

The funny thing about Tag and the Emerald Pro is that he said the new one he bought at Ultrasound a few months ago, which is the high gain version, is the best one he's ever played. In that gigantic Robben Ford Politician tone thread he said he tried a couple of different low and high gainers at Ultrasound and ended up bringing the high gain one home with him. With that said, sometimes I agree with Tag and sometimes I don't. I do admire his passion for music and his strong belief in his opinions.

FVB

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  6. scottl

scottl Member

One can't make a switch to go between low gain and high gain, because some of the low gainers have a 100K slope and some of the high gainers have a 33K slope. The slope has a massive effect on the tone, gain, and stack operation. There is over two hundred volts on the slope and not only would the switch pop, but it would be dangerous. Factor in that you need to drastically readjust the trimmers for optimum tone based on the slope size (really effects the stack and you must readjust) as well as where the OD trimmer is set and a switch is worthless. In addition to the entrance network possibily being different and the trimmers tail resistor from ground (probably what was made switchable).

The main differences between low gain and high gain is the trimmer tail resistor and the slope resistor. There are, from my understanding, models out there that have a mix of both. So, there may be more than two configs. As there should be as each amp responds differently and during construction the builder could choose whatever they felt sounded best in that particular amp.

7. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Thanks for the replys. Still need claification in the tonal spectrum of each configuration. Can you make the argument that the hi gain is more versitile? Can you achieve a low gain tone out of a high gain by simple adjustments?
    For those in the know, and some have already answered, what would you pick if you had to have one or the other?

8. robertgordon

robertgordon Active Member

i was with tag when he bought his original low gain e.pro. we had a low gain, a high gain, and several dumbles all in the same room. (we also had a few bruno 100s) i made a tape of the different amps while tag and another guy were playing them. i also played all of them many times myself. the low and high gain sounded drastically different. the low gain was much smoother and fatter, and had the best of the dumbles tone pegged. (the tan one) i know that tag was told by someone from tworock that the only differences between low and high gain were 2 small parts. he recently went back to ultrasound (i was not there) and played many different e.pros of both types. he said they all sounded very different, and bought what he thought sounded the best. it was a high gain this time. after he talked to bill at tworock who was the person who actually built them, he found out there were a lot of differences in all of the e.pros, even down to how the boost switches were wired. so...all the years of swearing up and down on the low gain version being better, was based upon false information from tworock that they were the same other than those two parts. in actuality, we were playing two amps that had many differences. i am not a huge dumble fan, and i did not play his new high gain along side the others at ultrasound. i can say that we did a little shootout recently, and that his new one, with the right player, can sound exactly like the older robben ford tones which he really digs. we had an opal and his glaswerks there, and neither could get those tones. i and two others agreed they are thinner and not as smooth. you can do a search and find that thread. if thats what you are looking for, i think it would depend on the actual e.pro more than if its a high or low gain model.

(pssst....tag thinks the black transformer emmys sound better than silver, and the higher gain he has now soundes even better than his old low gain.)

9. toneman335

toneman335 Member

I sense that the mystery is starting to unravel. Any other insights?

10. toneman335

toneman335 Member

anyone else play both versions?

11. toneman335

toneman335 Member

any updates to my question?