1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Two Rock Emerald Pro Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Jan 30, 2006.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thoughts and opinions? Are these ase good as they say they are? Know any good sound clips?

2. Rick0

Rick0 Member

3. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I'll post some clips of mine as soon as I get it back from Two Rock. It's in for a lube and filter.....lol

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks I'd really enjoy that! I'm on the fence right now about buying one and a matching bottom loaded with tonespotters..........:(

5. scottl

scottl Member

Don't get the Spotters. Go with Two Rock 1265s or Red White and Blues. The Spotters have a big mid scoop at 1500hz that does not work well with the voice of these amps IMO.

Trust me....

Congrats btw. I am with Tag on this one. I think the Emmy sounds more FOrd like than the other Two Rocks.

Scott

6. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

This is one of the best amps EVER made IMHO. Ever tone this beast delivers is flat out incredible.

7. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I've owned two of 'em.
    Both were too dark sounding for me...but that was before I knew anything about speakers...and the TR1265's werent available yet.

On 2nd thought...the speaker that worked GREAT with my Emmy Pro's was the venerable EVM12L...in a 112 Mesa cab...damn!
    Fanes work well too.

S.
    j

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Great choice!! Mine KILLS with my EV 12 in my open back Music mann cab!!

I alos have lots of clips of my E.Pro at my site below. Every clip that says two Rock or E.Pro in the title is the E.Pro. Its the only Two Rock I own. My fave T.Rock of all of them by far. It along with my Fuchs SLX are the best 2 channel switchers I have ever played. Both INCREDIBLE amps.

:dude

9. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

A big +1 for the Em Pro and Fuchs SLX. Two of my all time favorite amps period. This is what "real" tone is all about to my ears. Nice strong mid-range, extremely harmonicly rich. What a joy it is to play both these amps. I play my TR Em Pro through a 4x12 loaded with Celestion Blues and it sounds fantastic. It also sounds amazing through G12H30 IMHO.:dude

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

You guys pushed me over the fence! I'm gonna give the Tone Spotters a try though. Speakers are like Tubes.........I'll experiment. That 4x12 celestion Blue cab sounds amazing though! :BEER

I love to hear what works and what doesn't for ya all though........Please keep it coming!

11. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

My fave cab is my 4/12 mesa with G12H30s. Both my two Rock and Fuchs SMOKE through it. VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD!!
    :BEER

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Yes I agree I definietly prefer Celestions to Eminence usually......but I'm getting a pretty fair deal on this bottom and Head so I'll give the tone spotters a fair shake. I really would like to pull the trigger on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7386049802&rd=1

:dude :dude

13. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Got a question regarding the sound clips. I'm using a MAC with OSX and the Windows media player won't let me play the .asx file. Does anyone know what I can do? Thanks. Sorry to hijack the thread.

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

15. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks for the link!

Here is my 2 cents....

For an 80s Dumble type voice such as the Fuchs SLX or Two Rock Sig, the Spotters work pretty well. THese amps have a pronounced mid hump. The scoop on the Spotters is not unwelcome.

On the other hand, on a post OD amp such as the Emmy or my Glaswerks SOD50 in HRM mode, the Spotters sound like ass. The mids are totally lacking. I have not tested it with an Emmy but the circuit is quite similar. Both amps are derived from the 97 post OD stack Dumble whose scheamtic is on Blueguitar.org.

Maybe you will like the Spotter, but my advice is Red White and Blue.

16. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet Gold Supporting Member

I use a Marshall BW 4x12 with pre-rola 20w's in it....very creamy, I like it anyway.
    If you wanna hear, just click the b-w-j link below. I did 2 quick and dirty loops for my site with just drums and the Em...shrug (if you do, let the intro play as the music fades in).

17. GM1

GM1 Member

Hey Scott

Which is Robben Ford's setup, the 80's voicing or the 97 post OD stack?

18. glasman

glasman Guest

That is a subject of much debate. Some say stack some say no stack. I tend to lean to a stack being in the amp due to a couple of characteristics in Robben's tone. A little hair on the notes.....

Gary

19. scottl

scottl Member

I agree with Gary and Tag. There is a straining and artifact laden hair on the notes that indicates stack to me. My Glaswerks SOD50 is switchable between voices and there is no doubt, at least based on clips I have heard and personal experience playing the others, that in stack mode, I am getting the closest thing to the Live Jing Chi tone of any of the D style amps. That is what I have been tuning for btw. It is impossible to get that spitting and hairy lowend without the stack. Just my 2c.

Fwiw, earlier Ford such as the Diorio/Ford or early Blue Line may very well be the 80s voice. It doesn't have the low end hair.

Maybe Robben has one of each....

Scott

20. GM1

GM1 Member

Interesting, my favorite is the Blue Line Period (early/mid 90s) which means no stack? Also, at that time was he using Celestion G1265s?