Two Rock Emerald Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ulysses, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Can anybody give me a general primer and history for the Emerald Pro. When was it made, when discontinued? Approximate # of units made? Variations? Why discontinued? Any and all information or even stories (true...) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....

2. trap

trap Supporting Member

do a search for- tonegurus faq page for two rocks. a lot of info is there.
    the e pro is what i call a polarized amp. some guys love it to death and some guys don't. trust your ears.

3. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

That isn't too unusual. I can remember days when AC30's could be quite polarized. I've heard one or two particular clips that sound spectacular. I was hoping to get more general info about production years as well. I'll search, thanks.

4. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

The amps tones have always intrigued me , Eddy's indoor storm clip, Tag's
    clips, and even Scott Lerner's clip in comparison to the Glaswerks, have always sounded less buzzy and with the right lower mids in place.
    I'm curious also???
    Its an HRM dumble type circuit for sure. Bigtone

5. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Do you have a link to the Indoor Storm clip? That's one I've been looking for.

6. NFB

NFB Senior Member

7. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Thanks. Those are the clips. I searched for the Tonegurus Two Rock FAQ page but found it is no longer.... Seems it was removed for improper placement.

Does anyone know what years they were in production?

8. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I own the Indoor Storm Emerald Pro prototype. Here's the whole collection of clips that Eddie Berman recorded with the amp:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.flyingvblues.com/empro/mtworock1.mpeg[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.flyingvblues.com/empro/mtworock2.mpeg[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.flyingvblues.com/empro/mtworock3.mpeg[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.flyingvblues.com/empro/mtworockcall.mpeg[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.flyingvblues.com/empro/mtworockodsuhr.mpeg[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.flyingvblues.com/empro/mtworocksinging.mpeg[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.flyingvblues.com/empro/tworockone.mpeg[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.flyingvblues.com/empro/tworocktwo.mpeg[/FONT]

FVB

9. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Intoduced in '00 and replaced by the Topaz in '02.
    You got a Two-Rock jones goin' there Kerry?

10. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Hey Sean. Yep, I think I have one bought. Just wanted to learn a little about it. I've heard a few clips that sound like something that would be a good voice for my studio. Sounds like a little different flavor than my regular amps. We'll see....

The regular production EP is similar to the prototype?

11. Sean French

I'm sure you will dig it.They are a great sounding amp IMO.I had one for a while and now one of my best friends has it.
    Just remember that there are trimmer pots inside for the OD channel.
    I'm looking forward to some clips with your 345 and Blackguard.:dude

12. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Thanks for the tip. Where I should i start with the trimmer pots for general purpose studio use?

13. Sean French

No way to know how they are set at the moment.
    There is a pot for gain,bass,mid and treble.You may find they are fine at the get go to your ears.
    I basically set the amp for the cleans I wanted and adjusted the trimmers after.
    I had the chassis out for a few of days while I tweaked a little hear and there.Just to be sure as I didn't want to keep pulling the chassis.lol

14. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Anyone else here have an E. Pro? Also curious about tube capabilities.

15. NFB

NFB Senior Member

WOW!

What a tone!

As I said no buzz or fuzz, just smooth, tubey, phasey Robben Ford Tones.

Nothing comes close.

16. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I haven't had mine long so no good stories from this camp, but it is a stellar amp both clean and gain. It is s/n 268 and the internal board has July 2001 hand written. I haven't changed the tubes, but at the time the originals were outfitted with JAN Phillips 7581a's, which is what mine still has in it and it sounds awesome!! I thought I was going to have a chance to record some clips this past weekend with the Mrs. out of town...but didn't. Slacker.

Great deals to be had out there at attractive prices, definitely a keeper amp that I have been very happy with.

17. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I have owned both the Emerald Pro prototype and a stock Emerald Pro (SN 257) since 2002. The prototype is essentially an Emerald 50, with an added mid-boost and a dual EQ switch. It also has a Reverb drive control where the Presence control is on a production Emerald Pro, and the Presence control is at the back of the amp.

In terms of sound there are two main differences between the amps. First the prototype has less gain and is much smoother sounding, with a lot more sustain. It's easy to get the amp to go into controlled feedback, and the note bloom is more distinct. Second, the production Emerald Pro has much more bottom end, and its sonic characteristics are much more even across the frequency spectrum. I also owned a 1996 Dumble ODS with Skyliner EQ for 5 years. In A/B/C comparisons with the prototype and the production Emerald Pro the prototype was much closer sounding to the Dumble, especially in the overdrive channel. The downsides to the prototype are (1) the clean channel is just average and (2) it is hard to balance the clean channel and overdrive channel. This makes the amp kind of a one trick pony, but overall it is an exceptional amp.

For those interested this is a list of the tubes that were in the Emerald Pro prototype when Eddie Berman recorded the Indoor Storm video clips:

V1 Telefunken 12AX7/ECC83
    V2 RCA 12AX7A
    V3 JAN 5751 SYLVANIA
    V4 JAN 5751 SYLVANIA
    V5 RCA 12AX7A
    2 JAN 6L6WGB PHILLIPS ECG

The cab Eddie used was a TR 1x2 with a early prototype papercone Tone Tubby. I have several JPG's which show the amp settings that Eddie used, which are as follows:

Treble - 3 O'Clock
    Mid - 1 O'Clock
    Bass - 1 O'Clock
    Gain - 2 O'Clock
    Master 2 O'Clock
    Lead Gain - 12 O'Clock
    Lead Master - 10 O'Clock
    Reverb - 10 O'Clock
    Reverb Drive - 10 O'Clock
    Presence - 12 O'Clock
    Bright Switch - Up
    Deep Switch - Up
    Lead/Rhythm Switch -Up
    Bypass Switch - Down
    Dwell Switch - Down
    Effects Level - 12 O'Clock
    Loop Switch - Parallel

In person the amp sounds similar to what you hear in the video clips but with more clarity and less compression. The sound on the video clips is distorted, whereas the amp actually doesn't have any of that buzzy/fuzzy quality to it. The amp is actually much smoother, with greater clarity and note definition. It does have that singing sustain you hear on the video clips. I've been asked a number of times if the video clips were recorded with a delay in the loop, and based on the pics that I have of the settings from the front and back of the amp I can unequivocally say that a delay wasn't used since nothing was plugged into the loop.

FVB

18. Mike

Mike Member

It was properly placed in the appropriate section and I groomed and grew it for over a year. Someone flipped a switch during database maintenence and wiped it out. I recovered the first half from a cached page but have not been too motivated to reconstruct the second half with all the new models. Too much work that can be wiped out too easily. Here's the cached version resurrected in the same forum the original was located in:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=409524

Mike

19. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

What a shame. Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

20. RandK

RandK Silver Supporting Member

Check out the two rock forum also at: http://dhenderson.com/TwoRock/ Check out the thread on Opal trimmers.

I have a Topaz which after some knob twisting and a little old glass sounds really good for what it is. IIRC the trim pots are for lead channel eq so tweak them on lead and bypass. It was easy to find sweet spots but you can send it back for Joe/Bill to set up too. The EmPro's are supposed to sound better than the Topaz to some.