Two Rock Experts - Differences between the Emerald Pro & Custom Reverb series

GM1

Was wondering if the original Custom Reverb was just an extension of what was the Emerald Pro at that time or was it introduced as a considerably different design?

Maybe a different way to ask the question, what are the major design differences between the two models?

Thanks
Greg

Sammo

I am not expert but I think Custom Reverb evolvedfrom Custom, not from Emerald Pro. And Custom was copy of Steve Kimock's 50 watt Dumble. I think there were some other modifications other than added reverb between Custom and CR.

Bigtone

The Emmy Pro was HRM,

The Custom and Custom reverb series is not, more of the classic D style circuit,

Bt

GM1

Thanks that helps on the HRM - never followed the Kimock Dumble story so don't know much about his amp.

zoooombiex

Someone else could do better on the technical differences. Sonically I had both and they were pretty distinct. The CR's gravitated towards a much more open clean sound, the EP had a warmer, rounder overall tone, with much earlier onset of distortion. I always think of them as their own separate things, rather than one being an extension of the other.

GM1

Someone else could do better on the technical differences. Sonically I had both and they were pretty distinct. The CR's gravitated towards a much more open clean sound, the EP had a warmer, rounder overall tone, with much earlier onset of distortion. I always think of them as their own separate things, rather than one being an extension of the other.
Thanks that helps - been trying to get my Emerald Pro to sound like John Mayer's Custom Reverb he used around 2004 period I cant quite get there. It may just be the amps are too different.

Sammo

Thanks that helps - been trying to get my Emerald Pro to sound like John Mayer's Custom Reverb he used around 2004 period I cant quite get there. It may just be the amps are too different.
I think in 2004 he used two Two Rocks (ha!) and Vibro King with extension speaker, according to Tonequest report. That VK could be one variable too. I've been listening 2004 blues shows a lot for a while now and to me tone is a bit different (brighter) than the later Two Rock tones (Continuum and Trio).

I am not expert but I think Custom Reverb evolvedfrom Custom, not from Emerald Pro. And Custom was copy of Steve Kimock's 50 watt Dumble. I think there were some other modifications other than added reverb between Custom and CR.
I currently have K&M Custom #27. It's 50 watts w/loop.

I heard 3 things:

1. Kimock said something about sonic territory in a conversation a while back-'sounds like' his early 80's Dumble 50 watter. Keep in mind, Kimock now has a TR named after him. He was involved with (Bill and Joe) their amp builds very early on...

2. I read somewhere (probably here) It was a 'sonic clone' of said Dumble,not necessarily an identical build.

3.My amp guy (who is considered an authority on these matters), said that my amp is a 'low-plate (voltage?)' (Dumble?) circuit when he looked at it last year, to repair a broken switch.

None of it matters.

The amp sounds great.

Last edited:

zoooombiex

I see. I don't know your full setup, but there may be more than the amp at play there (guitar, speakers, etc.)

I'm not a mayer expert, but he seems to have a relatively chimey clean sound, which the custom is great at.

I'd still think the em.pro could get close. maybe try putting the master all the way up and just opening the gain controls a little bit, if you haven't already.

the em.pro also has a bit more midrange, so you'll probably want to dial that back, turn off the midboost if it's on, and i forget which eq option is the cleaner/less aggressive one, but try those.

everything else being equal, i would think the amp should still be able to get close. it's not like it's a TR Ruby.

GM1

I see. I don't know your full setup, but there may be more than the amp at play there (guitar, speakers, etc.)

I'm not a mayer expert, but he seems to have a relatively chimey clean sound, which the custom is great at.

I'd still think the em.pro could get close. maybe try putting the master all the way up and just opening the gain controls a little bit, if you haven't already.

the em.pro also has a bit more midrange, so you'll probably want to dial that back, turn off the midboost if it's on, and i forget which eq option is the cleaner/less aggressive one, but try those.

everything else being equal, i would think the amp should still be able to get close. it's not like it's a TR Ruby.
Yep pretty much everything you mention I have done regarding the Emerald including the Big Dipper pick ups and Jensen Neo speakers. I'm starting to wonder if the VibroKing mixed into his tone is really the missing part. When I hear demos of the Vibroking by itself I can hear tone flavors that are missing from the Emerald. Could be it takes both amps to get the overall tone - I never have had much luck with mixing amps - always seemed like one took over most the tone but maybe he had it right. I reread the Tone Quest report from 2004 thanks for reminding me -

GM1

I think in 2004 he used two Two Rocks (ha!) and Vibro King with extension speaker, according to Tonequest report. That VK could be one variable too. I've been listening 2004 blues shows a lot for a while now and to me tone is a bit different (brighter) than the later Two Rock tones (Continuum and Trio).
After reading this article I'm wondering if his tone changed partly because he's not using 10" speakers in his mix anymore - there's just certain characteristics of 10" speakers you can't get with 12s - with the VibroKing he had 10" mixed with his 12" Two Rocks