Two Rock Fans.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TRGuy, Apr 13, 2008.

1. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

My curiosity and GAS for one of these has been growing and growing pretty much since I joing TGP, seeing as theyre probably one of the most popular brands on the forum.

I also saw this video...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hqtUR5w7jPc

And we can agree thats a great sounding amp.

Whats the Amp in the video? Also what else can you tell me about the Two-Rock range?

Cheers.

2. Pickmaster

Pickmaster Member

Dumble Overdrive Special or Bludotone.

3. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

The amp in that vid is a Dumble ODS.

4. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Oh :eek:

Might as well forget about that then :jo

5. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Actually you should check these guys out --- extremely reasonable in cost -- compared to others in same vertical (I also think they are the best sounding IMHO)

1) Bludotone - about as close as you are going to get to an exact clone with period correct voicings and options
    http://bludotone.com/

2) Glaswerks
    Many options in one package
    http://glaswerks.com/

3) Fuchs
    Modern take on the classic D-Style amp. Robust distribution network. Great all around amp
    http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/

Here is a link to one of Fuchs top dealers --- great forum area

http://radicaltone.com/

Hope this helps

>
    >
    >

6. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Cheers for the informative post, will have too look into those! Must say at first skim viewing the Bluotone looks very nice, and with the dollarbeing so weak against the pound at the moment it translates to about the same price as a used VH4, so thats pretty cool!

Cheers :)

7. trap

trap Supporting Member

two rocks can be had for reasonable amounts used. i think they are great amps.:)

8. Rick0

Rick0 Member

It's an EL34 Dumble Overdrive Special.

9. pharmx

pharmx Member

Are you looking for new or used? What's your price range? Do you want an amp that nails the tone in that video, or something that comes close but has a lot of other tonal options as well? For what it's worth, those other amp companies that LVC listed are great too.

Here is a link to a thread that has descriptions of some of the Two-Rock models: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=234537

10. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

I'm not even sure the pilot light is on for the ODS in that vid.

11. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Contrary to what you might think I am not on some holy crusade against Two Rock. Honestly -- I really do not give a hill of beans about Two Rock - who buys one and who does not.

The OP did not ask for opinions from folks that have played them and did not purchase them --- so thus I did not go there. There is no need for me to interject into this thread my experiences with the few Two Rocks (I played with intent to buy) that did not fair well. There is NO bashing going on and so far no Two Rock sales rep has jumped on this thread in an effort to make a sale --- so far so good.

I think if someone was looking to buy a Two Rock, and has a limited budget -- I'd probably would go the used route (as you suggested) -- there are several for sale in the emporium -- some by folks I have done excellent transactions with and would be happy to provide transaction referrals..

OP asked about an amp that was in a PRS video demo. I can see why he thought it might have been a 2Rock -- looks similar -- but it was a Dumble..

In any event, I am entitled to highlight other amps that I feel dollar for dollar are best of breed products in the D-Sytle or clone category in an effort to help a fellow member out.

I hope you do not have any issues with that --- and I certainly hope you are not looking to :stir in what has been a civil and informative discourse.

and of course ----- as with all things expensive and "Boutique" you should try your upmost to "PLAY BEFORE YOU PAY"

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

13. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

what's the idea of being "fans" of equipment anyway? Isn't the music the key thing? Folks seem to become fans of the equipment like they are fans of a baseball team and then they get pissed off and want to throw beer on anyway who has a dissenting view as if they insulted your home team. I don't get it in sports and I don't get it with music stuff. :confused:

14. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Did not realize that Two Rock threads were closed to Gear Page members with a different perspective

Not a rep for Fuchs, Glaswerks, Bludo or Carr Vincent --- just a fan of these fine companies and their products ....

I think there are TPG rules against dealers starting threads to promote products they sell or jumping in on forum member discussion threads in an effort to generate awareness of a particular product they sell. They are more than free to engage in this kind of activity in the Manufacturer's & Retailer's Forum area of the TGP.

Don't be concerned, don't worry be happy :)

Enjoy the weekend --- go and play ..... dare I say your Two Rock :BEER

15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Completely agree Jack. There seem to be so many examples where folks somehow get their self-images tied up in this brand or that.

16. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Ditto

Wife and kids are out ---time to get some quality play time in.

:dude

17. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Dig it. I've been playing all morning (until 15 minutes ago), yeee haa!!

18. codyj84

codyj84 Member

19. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

On the real, I thought that amp was Two Rock and thats the reason I titled the thread accordingly.

Knowing its a Dumble and I cant afford one of those now, perhaps not ever, any opinions of amps that can get close too that tone, so all contribution, Two-rock or not is appreciated! i dont care if anyone has a specific hate of two-rock, as some people had hinted the guy above did, anyway his post was very informative and helped me! I hate anything Ibanez with a passion anyway...

But yeah, any opinions of similar sounding amps would be nice :) Budget? Around the $3000-3500 mark maybe?

20. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I think that there's a Carol Ann OD2100 for sale in the emporium. It's a scary good amp and will get you the tones in the video.